• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Super Hard Front Brake; Not Working, Then OK

mikejudge62702

Hi all, new member here, #13956. Will post pictures as soon as I can of my '09 Concours 14 ABS.

I have a brake issue. Just had bike serviced, nice clean fluid. Brake lever was fine, went about 20 miles, lever went hard as a rock, front brakes didn't function. Came to a stop sign, seemed to free up. Rear was fine. Thinking the pistons might be sticking due to corrosion, will check tomorrow, but any other thoughts? Thanks!

It's a somewhat rare problem on the rear brakes - extremely rear on the front. I have encountered/read/heard of this on only 1 other bike - mine. It is very, very rare on gen 2 bikes. Gen 1 bikes (like ours) are more susceptible to ABS failure due to old fluid for some reason I haven't worked out - perhaps simply age. The thing about fresh fluid in a system that hasn't been maintained as required is that the crud which is in the master cyl goes into/thru the tiny valves in the ABS unit. If your problem is not in the calipers it's probably to be in the ABS unit. I refurbish these Gen 1 units, as they are expensive if still available. I am located in Australia.

Last edited:
Interesting. If that is the case, can I remove the unit and still ride without the ABS while it's being refurbished? I've never had a bike with ABS, sorry if I sound naive.

there are all the brake lines that connect to your abs unit behind the battery they all would be open and brake fluid just pouring out. don't think that is possible

Only reason i know is because i replaced my brake lines with galfer brake lines and getting to the abs unit was the toughest part for me.

The big problems with the ABS blocks is that the solenoid valves do not move if the ABS is not voluntarily activated, particles accumulate and block the valves, it is necessary from time to time to make emergency braking. ;)

The big problems with the ABS blocks is that the solenoid valves do not move if the ABS is not voluntarily activated, particles accumulate and block the valves, it is necessary from time to time to make emergency braking. ;)
Makes sense. I haven't had the bike long enough to make an emergency stop, kind of hoped I wouldn't have to!

Here's a pic of some of what I've flush from a failed gen 1ABS unit prior to repair.

Attachments

• 714897898_20230828_164518.jpg
    714897898_20230828_164518.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 59
c'est ce que je disais, il faut faire un freinage d'urgence pour activer l'ABS et éliminer les impuretés qui pourraient le bloquer, après avoir fait une purge normale

c'est ce que je disais, il faut faire un freinage d'urgence pour activer l'ABS et éliminer les impuretés qui pourraient le bloquer, après avoir fait une purge normale
Translation please.

Activating the ABS periodically is a good thing to do, however it doesn't push fluid thru the unit as there's nowhere for it to go as it pulses the calipers. It does cause the valves to be activated and a tiny bit of fluid to be pumped back and forth thru them - this is a good thing.

that's what I said, you have to do emergency braking to activate the ABS and eliminate the impurities that could block it, after having done a normal purge

I bleed/flush/purge before AND after activating ABS. It may just be wishful thinking, but it makes me feel better. :)