• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suspension Air Pressure

rvedder3

Tricycle
I've got a standard digital tire gauge that isn't reading any pressure on the rear suspension or up on the front forks. I tried to put some air in with a bike pump but its incredibly difficult leading me to believe there is a decent amount of air pressure in the shock. After trying to push some more air in I do get a reading from the digital but its low only around 11psi on the rear and it shows 10 on the front. This doesn't make sense to me since its so hard to push any air in at all with the bike pump. Am I doing this completely wrong? The bike seems to ride ok but then again I'm completely new to it so I've got no comparison. Also pushing in the valve doesn't release any air. This things basically kicking my tail right now over something so simple. Not sure how important it is but I'm 6ft around 245lbs and I ride with another 15 lbs or so in the bags and strapped behind me. Mostly between legal highway speeds and 100mph depending on how I'm feeling that day. Also the dampener is set at 2

you need to search out a specific low pressure stick gauge, that reads to 40psi max, they are difficult to find, but I got one from an odd auto store by luck Front forks are to be pressurized to 7 psi MAX, over that and you will have seal failure. Rear runs from 20 to 50 psi a good bicycle hand pump with quick release fitting works best, for the rear shock, I crank my regulator/gauge on my compressor down to 40 psi, snap on an air tool and run it and stall it out to insure my delivery, then pressurize the shock. front's must be done by hand. don't use a compressor.

Good to know I was getting quite aggravated with the digital I have but it reads from 5-150psi so the gauge must be the problem. Hopefully I didn't goof anything up since I have to ride the bike to work tomorrow and there's little chance of finding one of them low pressure gauges. Would a 0-60 work or does it need to be a 0-40 only? Ive seen 0-20 and 0-60 nothing in between yet.

I have had a lot of trouble with my rear. The valve stem valve is to deep making it hard to find any pump or gauge to push it far enough to get air in or out. Is there some way to back these valves out some and still work? The pin thing needs to be even with the top of the valve stem. PS: I use a bike pump I found would work and a regular gauge. I over pump a bit then use the gauge to bump the pressure down to where I want. It looses about 2-3 lb per reading. yrmv Photos[/url]

They cost about $40 but progressive makes a pump just for this 0-60 psi and the fitting to hook to the shrader Valve is made so that there is no leakage connecting or disconnecting. It's perfect for the rear and warkable for the front. I picked my up at the local Harley dealer and belive it or not the HD list price was just as cheap as I could find it on the web. The HD part # is in the pic and Progressive calls it a GP360. Progressive makes them in other ranges as well.
ProgressiveAirPump001-1.jpg
ProgressiveAirPump002.jpg

Older topic, but the proper suspension settings can be found here:

http://rantthisspace.com/connietech/12_suspension/

Download the Zip file, unzip it and you will get fullsize pages

Sorry to revive.

What air pressure for the rear shock is recommended. the repair manual is kind of vague.
think I saw 7psi for 150lbs rider and 28-50 psi for two up with gear.

also is that psi with suspension compressed or on center stand.

Also I think there was zero pressure in there.
anyway I just ballparked 20+ psi with bike on centerstand.

I'm 260 lbs and might carry up to 60 lbs of load.

should I be closer to 40 psi ? does it matter? what does the bike feel like with too much pressure v too little? not sure what to look for.

Ctchrisf said:
Sorry to revive.

What air pressure for the rear shock is recommended. the repair manual is kind of vague.
think I saw 7psi for 150lbs rider and 28-50 psi for two up with gear.

also is that psi with suspension compressed or on center stand.

The numbers above sound correct, most tend to over pressurize the rear shock.
Set the pressure with the shock unloaded, either on the side or center stand.

It all depends on your weight and the type of ride you like.

If the pressure is too low for the weight the bike will be soft and wallow over bumps and stuff, to high a pressure the ride will be hard and bumps may cause the real wheel to skip. I'm only 185lbs so I have mine set around 10psi, but if I'm loaded up for touring I raise it to 12-15

Ctchrisf said:
Also I think there was zero pressure in there.

It is not uncommon for the shock air seal to be blown, especially if a PO was overzealous in inflating the shock with compressed air, and could be the reason there wasn't much air in the shock.  You may want to re-check the pressure in a couple of days to verify that the seal is holding.

I have good look with using a valve stem extender, you can get from a tire dealer ore auto store,then you can use almost any hand pump and gauge, after use screw the extender of and the valve cab on, tight.

hey
Erik