• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suspension upgrade upgrade

mcgyver74

So after mulling it over, I decided to go the less expensive route for my suspension upgrade.

I ordered a hyperpro rear shock and their front spring kit,  I had the front/rear spring kit on my FJR and liked the difference so I am springing for the better shock this time.  I was considering Ohlins /Traxxion but they are a LOT more $ and I am not that aggressive a rider to be honest.....

Should be here in a few weeks and I'll do a write up for the install  :)

I'm anxious for  a shock report. You dont here much about these shocks in the usa, but they look really good.

If I can recommend a fork oil level with the new springs, try 5mm less....in height....than the 2010 spec. 

You dont need to be aggressive to enjoy good suspension. 

The nice thing about the Hyperpro spring kit is that they tell you how much oil they want you to use.

The reason I went Hyperpro (in addition to cost) is because they are a true progressive spring throughout the winding as opposed to other progressives where they are one length then tighten up towards the bottom of the spring which suits my riding style.  And as I said I had the front/rear kit on my FJR and they made a world of difference :)

Ohlins etc are linear rate springs which DO handle better in the corners, but for the riding I do I think the progressive will suit me more

I'm not sold on progressive springs for any motorcycle application. They SOUND perfect, but rarely work right.  If the startign point is soft, you settle right through it.  Then the progressive part ramps up like crazy.

The best way I've found is a straight rate spring, for your weight, then get your progression from valving and oil height since its adjustable.

I got the Rear Shock in black
The Remote Preload adjuster
The Fork Spring kit W/Oil

All in shipped for under 1100.  I could have saved about 300 if I didn't want the remote preload adjuster for the shock...

With the springs and everything it was still cheaper then the Ohlins :)

I think that preload adjustor is a good deal, and  a smart buy.  It beats a hammer and tire iron when preload changes are needed.