• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Switchback bulbs

hammerash

I know gixerhp used to sell them, but doesn't look like he has been Active. I found these

And these

Both are for front and are white/amber.

Neither of these companies make red/amber for rear.

I did find these for rear.

Anyone know anything about the bulbs from any of these companies? Some bulbs on amazon reviews say no brighter than oem. Superbright LED and diode dynamics seem to have good reviews. Didn't see reviews for other. What brand was gixerhp selling? Ordered 1157 sockets so just looking for bulbs not whole plug and play system.

402 views and no replies. Well I ended up purchasing bulbs made by Racesport.

front (white/yellow) pack of 2

rear (red/yellow) pack of 2

purchased on Amazon for $65 total for 4 bulbs

Will try to show comparison between them and the OEM. Trying to figure best way to adapt socket-whole new plastic socket or just remove the metal from center and replace with a 2 contact 1157 socket. These bulbs are just a tad bit shorter than the OEM bulbs. The whole sockets I purchased mount the bulb a little further in than the OEM sockets. The net effect is that the bulb ends will be about 1/8" longer than OEM bulbs. If I keep these sockets, I will have to modify the little tabs on them that hold socket in place.20231229_150624.jpg

20231229_150602.jpg

Here is OEM socket showing how it comes apart. Metal center just pulls out. Can see ground wire just bent over and just friction connection to metal socket. So can get new metal socket and slide in. No cutting of tabs necessarily like if use completely different plastic housing. 20231229_151818.jpg20231229_151851.jpg

Last edited:
Superbright LEDs has been around for a long time, and they are a legit seller. Send them an email ask about the comparative brightness. I've sent them emails in the past and they've always responded quickly; even when the answer was "no, they are not as bright, maybe in the future" - not making a sale, but being honest to a customer.
It was from them that I bought the 7W round floodlights I installed on my and my wife's bikes for better conspicuity, paid $50 for same lights others were selling for 2x that amount.
Always been happy dealing with them.

Yeah I looked at the superbright LED. They actuality have more LED ( 30 white, 30 amber) compared to one I got ( 21 white, 24 amber). Don't know if same LED's The superbright LED are listed at 193 lumen, but doesn't say if white, amber, or both are 192? The diode dynamics I listed above say 405 lumens! If true that is huge difference. They are 3x the cost at $35/bulb vs $11.50. The ones I got do not list lumens. I was getting the rear, which had limited selections available for red/amber, so just got matching fronts from same company.

Comparison of brightness is a little challenging. Some LED bulbs are constant current. Diode dynamics specifically say so. So I think they will have same brightness at 12v and 14.2v. But the incandescent brightness will vary with voltage. And some of the LED may vary if not constant current. So without bike running, results could be deceiving. My bike is apart for a lot of mods/ maintenance so won't be able to test on running bike for a while.

Pete, did you buy complete sockets or just the center metal section? I looked at these

WMYCONGCONG 15 PCS DC 12V 1157 Light Socket Wiring Harness Connector Plug Pigtail Adapter for Car Truck Brake Turn Signal Light LED,Random Color https://a.co/d/d8W3G28

Only need 4. The diameter says 18mm. I measure OEM at 17.5. So not sure if they will fit?

I bought complete sockets. I didn't know the inner metal section was available separately. That may be easier if they fit. The complete sockets aren't exact so they take some filing/grinding to install them. I did the same thing on my 08. Works well once done.

When I put LED in my C-10 the auto store 1157 bulbs didn't have enough difference between running and brake. I found Plasma LED from West Coast Classic Cougar. They have them in red and amber. Watch the video in the item listing. They might have replacement sockets also.

those bulbs look similar to ones I have seen elsewhere.

Interesting they say about similar looking bulbs on ebay from China on bottom of page. Don't think that is the Diode Dynamics. Diode Dynamics list at 310 lumens vs 90/200 for the Plasma LED. don't know why Diode Dynamics only lists one number instead of low/high?

Red/red doesn' t work for C14 really. The taillight and brake light are already LED. I am adding red brake lights to the turn signal lights. So they will go from no light to red with brakes. And will function normally as amber turn signal. hence red/amber switchback bulb.

So I'm second guessing the switchbacks up front? They have white running light. Wonder if amber running light would be better, such as the plasma LED linked to above? I've read several places that amber is generally more visible to others than white? Putting amber under mirrors would be option I guess?

In rear I still think the red/amber switchback wired for red brake light (no running light) makes most sense.

Anyone ever notice which seems more visible on another bike- white or amber running lights up front?

I have the GXerHP white running lights on the front of mine and they really stand out.
In addition to standing out, they light up the area around the bike quite a bit.
So, I think the white is better.

I also have LED Head lights on the bike, but kept the OEM Driving lights.
{And I sorta like that contrast}.
I've seen some put Amber (or other color) lights in the Driving Light sockets.
So, it might be a consideration for you to change the color there..

Bottom Line;
The white GXerHP Switchback Running Lights are far brighter than having LED Driving Light's, so I think the Net gain in brightness is an advantage for you.
& The White Running/Amber Driving Light combination would give you contrast.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
My bike came with SoCal Motogear Pathfinder LED headlights/city lights.

I am thinking maybe Get headlight modulator to be more visible. I have one made by Kisan on my ninja and I think it really makes you stand out. They make one for LED headlights too. Don't think I've seen much talk about modulators here.

Last edited:
I've noticed when I see other bikes with amber running lights they do catch my eye a lot quicker. I'm going with some amber lights under the mirrors. I had amber/amber in the turn signals of my 08 and it did mask the brightness of the flashing turn signal. That was with standard incandescent 1157 bulbs. Brighter LED's may work better. I'm going to try the white/amber switchbacks in the turn signals in my current bike.

US2.jpg

I agree with the amber being more eye catching. At a lot of gas stops drivers have come over and said the yellow lights really caught their eye when they were waiting to turn across my path. In general, I feel like the cars that used to "not see you coming" and pull out are much less than before I installed them

Freebird6, what lights you have on your bike? And how they wired? Denali has a really nice controller for 2 sets of lights. Can control both sets with 1 controller. On low beam, you use a dial to control output. When turn on high beam they both go to 100% brightness. With horn, they flash. Expensive though!!

My bike came with SoCal Motogear Pathfinder LED headlights/city lights.

I am thinking maybe Get headlight modulator to be more visible. I have one made by Kisan on my ninja and I think it really makes you stand out. They make one for LED headlights too. Don't think I've seen much talk about modulators here.
Love having a headlight modulator on my bikes! Had one on my c10 for years after having a cage or two not see me. So for me it was natural to have it on my c14. Because I stayed stock (led headlights hadn't gained notice yet) I have had them for years without incident. When led gained popularity, I stayed stock due to cost of new led modulator. So I run led city lights and led auxiliary lights (2sets) 1 on mirror pods and 1 on canyon cages. If I ride in a group I shut the modulator off if I'm not lead or #2.

led auxiliary lights (2sets) 1 on mirror pods and 1 on canyon cages

How about some pics of those lights. I too have Canyon cages. The locations for lighting, as I have heard, are mirrors, cages, front fender. Although I know people have broken the reflector mount and even cracked fender. Denali makes a mount that attaches behind the fender that looks like would be better. While I have heard about lights on canyon cages, I haven't seen any.

Thanks for picture. So looks like lights on cages are about midway between mirror lights and location of lights mounted on front fender?

You have one showing how they are mounted, along with the highway pegs. I was thinking about pegs but don't know if they will work for me. On my ninja, if I try to put my leg forward, i get bad cramps in my hip. Of course I am just holding my leg forward as there is nothing to rest it on. But cramps happen almost immediately so not sure if i could even get my feet onto highway pegs without cramping.

Well, I haven't gotten my metal sockets yet, but I able to rig up something to test. I have the rear piece that houses the turn signals off the bike. I was using a battery, which I previously stated that I felt that advantages the LED cause they are constant current ( and I assume constant brightness) over range of voltages. The incandescent will be less bright with battery voltage vs alternator voltage. Despite this, the incandescent was a lot brighter. It definitely has hot spot where significantly brighter. The LED are not as bright but have a more uniform brightness. For being seen by others, the factory bulbs are better, in my opinion. I can return these LED till end of month and I think I will. On to another brand. I took photos and video, but they don't really show things well. Need to try to figure out how to shoot this. I used to use a SLR 35mm camera but have to figure out how to use pro mode on phone. So used to just using auto for all pictures. Here is ombre of photos. Oem bulb on right.

i should add that this was with bulbs on steady, no flasher. A flasher may make some difference? I think LED go to full brightness immediately where incandescent ramp up. How that effects perceived brightness when using a flasher I can't say for sure.
20240109_205222.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got my 2 wire 1157 metal sockets. Here is oem and new one

20240114_210155.jpg
As expected it is shorter than oem. And just a bit wider diameter ( about 0.3mm) but I was able to get it in the plastic holder. I left it flush with the plastic. Works fine on testing. Of note, there are slots on the sides of new one, which hold the black plastic piece that holds wires. When sliding down into plastic, had to make sure that neither slot was where the metal needs to make contact with the ground wire (see picture in previous post)

20240114_210235.jpg

One thing I noticed is that they were not consistent in which wire did turn signal. Some it was red, some green. I popped out the black plastic in center on some and rotated 180 to make them all the same- green for turn signal. Waiting on another set of bulbs to try.

I got a new set of switchbacks. These are the expensive diode dynamics bulbs. On the previous race sport lighting bulbs, the amber was dimmer than the oem bulb. Here is photo of new bulb.

20240119_145138.jpg

The diode dynamics is on left, oem on right. What a dramatic difference compared to the other bulb, which was dimmer than oem. I should have gotten a bulb from Superbright LED's to compare. I will be returning the racesport front bulbs. I also got a diode dynamics amber/amber if I decide to go with amber running light instead of white. I think the amber turn signal may be even brighter as the lumen rating is higher per manufacturer.