• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Switched/battery powered leads at front?

connie_rider

Are there any Non switched/battery powered leads at the front of the bike?
I want to install a plug for a GPS.

Pulled the panels and don't see them.
Hate to run a wire from the battery..

Ride safe, Ted

Unless you are much less prone to forgetting things than me the switched power is the way to go.  If you still have the same GPS as you did the the last time I saw you the GPS will prompt you when you turn off the bike if you want it to stay on using its internal battery. If you put it on non switched power and you forget to turn it off you will have a dead battery on the bike.

Good point.
  {Everyone knows about my lack of memory}

Sooooooooooooo,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, there are plenty of devices like this one that may help. I use a splitter that turns one port into two. Then I add my GPS along with cell phone charger.

Socket-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-ZNB02-Car-Charger-Adapter-3-5A-Dual-USB-Ports-Support-Volmeter-Temperature.jpg

This is what I use. Then you can plug in even more pigtails for all the power hungry farkles (until you start blowing the fuse).

s-l225.jpg

Mine stays put.
I think the quality of the plug is a big factor.
I Never had one to back out and there are ways to tighten it up and lock it in place.

Ted,

If you plan to install the USB receptacle in the corresponding position on the left side, you will limited as far
as the length of the receptacle (there is a metal piece in the way). {Alternatively, you could drill out the metal plate.}

Attachments

• Port2.jpg
    Port2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 94
connie_rider said:
Thanx Harry.. Appreciated..  :great:
I bought 1 with USP ports as I'm tired of the Cigarette Lighter plug popping out of the Connie receptacle.  :mad:
Gonna install it in the dash if I figure out which wires to hook to it..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-SUV-Dual-USB-Port-5V-4-2A-Charger-LED-Digital-Voltmeter-Parking-Location-Kit/362482524493?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, that looks like a handy gadget. Why not remove the stock receptical and just put that in it's place? In reality, very few gadgets really need the outdated cigarette plug anyway. Almost everything I use now only requires the USB plug to get power.  I may do that.  :great:

You could go the extra distance, and mount a couple of those on the right side panel. Not sure if there is enough depth for them, but I'm liking the idea.

Here is a surface mount version...

s-l400.jpg

connie_rider said:
Good point.
  {Everyone knows about my lack of memory}

Yes,  left side under a rubber boot.

Sooooooooooooo,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

If I recall correctly, there was a pair of leads (switched) on the throttle side under the cover plate. On my 2008 I wired in a pair of tethered 2A USB connectors located inside my "glove box" atop the tank.

Attachments

• USB power leads.jpg
    USB power leads.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 102
Thank you. I'll look again.
I was just told there are leads in the black covered Bundle on the left side of my 2014?
  There is a black wire and a black w/ yellow stripe wire in the large black boot right there under the left upper inside fairing.
Will look there too.

Ted

Looking at these ports, they need about 1-1/8 inch hole to mount.
When I look at my C14, I see two holes on the port and starboard sides just above the headlight adjustment knobs.

The most squarish holes are just a tad under 1" gap from top to bottom. If I were to mount the USB charge ports, I would install 1 each on each side, using an x-acto knife to whittle out roughly 1/16 inch curved clearance to fit the chargers in there. There would be minimal cosmetic change to the plastic. Probably not noticable at all if removed. There is sufficient clearance in depth to mount these things. The original 12V port would be left intact.

I'm liking this even more. This would give 4 charging ports total, 2 on each side. >:D

Ted, I think you got me started on a new farkle project.

Other options:

1. Cut out the middle joining plastic, mount the charge port to the plate, and then mount the plate to the enlarged hole.
2. Cut a round hole on the outer plastic above the current charge port.
3. Cut a hole on the inner plastic below the current charge port.

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 97
  • options2.jpg
    options2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 102
Thanks all.
I ground the plastic/metal out to fit the new plug where Amphibsailor/Sailor_chic suggested..
1 1/8" is correct and too big to fit between the scr4ews in the back, so I filed 4 flats on the plug to get it to fit.
Harry, yes, it's supposedly waterproof.
PeterL/Jeff, on my 2014, the wires were in the large black boot on the left side and are switched power.
  I still may go to non-switched power though.
  This plug can supposedly help me find my motorcycle in the parking lot/other** but needs non-switched power to do so.
    ** Needed when certain smart elecks hide my bike. {Not mentioning names, but}
  :violent-smiley-007:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-SUV-Dual-USB-Port-5V-4-2A-Charger-LED-Digital-Voltmeter-Parking-Location-Kit/362482524493?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Thanks all.
I ground the plastic/metal out to fit the new plug where Amphibsailor/Sailor_chic suggested..
1 1/8" is correct and too big to fit between the scr4ews in the back, so I filed 4 flats on the plug to get it to fit.
Harry, yes, it's supposedly waterproof.
PeterL/Jeff, on my 2014, the wires were in the large black boot on the left side and are switched power.
  I still may go to non-switched power though.
  This plug can supposedly help me find my motorcycle in the parking lot/other** but needs non-switched power to do so.
    ** Needed when certain smart elecks hide my bike. {Not mentioning names, but}
  :violent-smiley-007:

Ride safe, Ted

Dang...is that a regular problem? <snicker> wonder where they got that idea from?
:08: :72: :)) :)) :)) :))

So it is guaranteed to drain your battery when the bike is not running.  :) If you are going to buy a USB plug get on that shuts down when you put the cover on.

Sorry, too late, already installed.
I opted to stay with switched power because of the battery drain.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Harry, I'll be watchin' you...  :29: