• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tail Light wire colors???

pdsgt

Moped
Getting ready to install my Hyperlites on my 2011 C14 and wondering if anyone can confirm the rear tail light wiring colors on the bike.  Hyperlites says:

Ground:  Black w/yellow
Running/power: Solid red
Brake light: blue w/red.

If someone can confirm this I would appreciate it..

Thank you

Just installed on my 12, page in garage but Hyperlites was right on with the colours, Just double check with a test light or Multi meter. :)

PdLt said:
Getting ready to install my Hyperlites on my 2011 C14 and wondering if anyone can confirm the rear tail light wiring colors on the bike.  Hyperlites says:

Thank you

MY manual shows the running light wire being R/BL. But yes that's pretty much what my manual shows. But I agree about double checking your wires with a meter or test light.

Could someone post a photo of the Hyperlites installed. I have them on my Goldwing and love them , but was wondering how to hide the wires on the Connie and placement.

There is a three wire connector in the back of the bike that connects the brake light. The wire colors are as follows:

Ground:  Black / Yellow - Ground (throughout the entire bike by the way).
Tail light:  Red / Blue  and  Red
Brake light:  Blue / Red  and  Blue

The wires are different colors on each side of the connectors so while it is the same circuit, the wire colors are different. That is why I gave two wire colors for each connection because it depends on which side of the connector you choose. For example, if you use the side that is wired to the bike (instead of the side wired to the brake light) then you would use the Blue / Red, Red / Blue and Black / Yellow wires.

Just in case those colors appear confusing ( Blue / Red seems a LOT like Red / Blue), the first color is the color of the wire while the second color is the color of the stripe down the wire. Given both blue and red are used in both wires, the wire that is mostly blue with a thin stripe of red is the Blue / Red one.

As Bob said, you can also verify the wiring with a very inexpensive meter.

Brian

PdLt said:

Thank you

Well thanks for the help. I was up and at em early this am as my wife was up and out of the house by 6:30. I decided today was a good day to strip some plastics install a stebel horn and wire up some hyperlites. After checking the forum this am for any help posted up. Found some nice cogers had helped me out as usual.

So I stripped the right side fairings, upper and forward. Looked for the mountin place that everyone seems to be using on the C14. And for some reason there was a large black box from Kawi with a couple hoses running into and out of it. Well no worries. I improvised. I took the box out. Bike seems to run ok with out it! 

Just kidding. I moved the Stebel to the rear of the heat shield/foam divider. It was REALL TIGHT to put it there but it seems to be ok there. Buttoned up the plastic and moved to the lites. Surprisingly to me they were super easy to install. Found the hot wire under the rear rack area no problems. Threaded the wires spliced them in using posi locks. Talk about a nice way to splice wires. I'm surprised they are not wildly more popular. But then again maybe they are and I just don't know it. Can you buy those things at the local hardware store?  I don't think I've ever seen them before

Anyway. All works well and a big thanks for all the help. I am posting a pic of the "blac box". Anyone know what it is?

I think that is a CA emissions canister but someone else will have to verify that (someone who has actually seen a CA emissions C-14 probably). Some people remove them apparently although again, I cannot give you specifics as my bike never did have one.

If it is a charcoal canister I am surprised it appeared on a bike this far east. Or did you buy the bike from further west? The CA models are sold in quite a few states near CA but not usually all the way to the right coast.

Brian

PdLt said:
<snip>

Anyway. All works well and a big thanks for all the help. I am posting a pic of the "blac box". Anyone know what it is?

Yes that is the CA emissions canister.  Not sure why it's on a bike this far east tho..

Screen%2520Shot%25202012-05-25%2520at%25204.21.18%2520PM.png

Looks like you are missing the strap that holds it in place (part 92072) or did you take that off to futz with it?

Yes I took the strap off so I could us it to hold some wires I coiled up from the horn. I bought the bike from a dealer in cherry hill nj with 0 miles on it. got a great deal. Thanks for the help

No because one of them is your fuel tank vent. You will need to connect the fuel tank vent to the 'overflow' line that dumps under the bike. Again because I do not have a CA model, I have never re- worked the plumbing on the recovery tank. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who has re- plumbed one and can tell you which hose goes where.

Interesting that the bike came from NJ though. Perhaps Kawasaki is only making CA bikes now instead of CA and 49 state models? Maybe they overproduced the CA models and so they got shipped a lot longer from the west coast than normal? As a manufacturer cannot reasonably make an exact cut- off line for which bikes go where, the western and southwestern US tend to get CA bikes anyway but NJ is a long way away from CA.

Brian

PdLt said:
Ok. How do I take it off and move my horn to the better spot?  Can I just pull the hoses off?

If it is Cherry Hill Kawasaki that he bought the bike from, then I think they often will buy out overstock from other dealers or dealers that go under,  they move a LOT of bikes...

Could explain how that got here...    Someone has to know how to remove that tho..

Yes, I bought the bike from Cherry Hill Kawasaki.  In fact I spoke with the General manager while I was there and asked him specifically about their prices on Ebay.  I asked him if the bikes were stolen or black market bikes. ;D  He said they buy all the inventory they can buy, including overstocked and bikes from dealers going under.  So it's certainly possible I got the CA bike.

Either way, I saved a couple grand buying from them even after including my 5 hour drive each way and gas money. 

Yeah I got mine from Cherry Hill as well,  the service department sucks, but the prices for bikes cannot be beat :)