• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Taking curves

razorsedge

Scooter
Being I'm new to the Concours 14, and the fact that I love cornering or what we call twisties. I knew I could scratch my floor boards on my Harley and be ok when leaning in a curve. So, How far to you guys lean in curves with your concours ?

If you ask that question it leads one to believe that you are a newer rider or have spent your time on a cruiser or a Harley. Give an example of your experience. In the right hands a Concours 14 is capable of running the twisties with the best of them. How does a Harley take a turn at 30MPH?....On a trailer.

Tim

I've never scrapped the pegs, about 17K on the Connie. Consider myself competent.  I suspect that on a familiar track, there would be no chicken strips, but this might also require stickier tires.  Won't try to do that on a public road since the power combined with uneven surfaces will add to adventure.  A lean angle on a consistent track surface might be over the line on the averager country road.

I would not use scrapping the pegs as a measure of skill.
;)

Trouble said:
Being I'm new to the Concours 14, and the fact that I love cornering or what we call twisties. I knew I could scratch my floor boards on my Harley and be ok when leaning in a curve. So, How far to you guys lean in curves with your concours ?

Regardless of the machine and its physical limits you should only lean as little as required to smoothly negotiate the curve. This leaves you ample clearance to lean even more if you find yourself going wide in the turn.

ConcoursKZ said:
If you ask that question it leads one to believe that you are a newer rider or have spent your time on a cruiser or a Harley. Give an example of your experience. In the right hands a Concours 14 is capable of running the twisties with the best of them. How does a Harley take a turn at 30MPH?....On a trailer.

Tim

lol. OH I see. Yes im from the Harley side of the fience. Scraping pegs or floor boards is a BIG thing with them. Kinda the reminder you only have a little more to go before your on the frame. As for my experience ? Owned bikes all my life but never got into the cornering till recently. ( about three years ago ) . I just got on and rode. This is one of the main reasons for going with the concours. The Harley couldn't keep up anymore. Frame wobble. Forks giving, Vibration . Pushing the engine to hard to keep up. You cant run twisties on a Harley very well or at least in my opinion , or should I say to the degree I want to run. The first time I rode a Connie in Daytona, It was the 2010. The demo guy let me run with him twice. I never knew you could take a curve so quickly and lean so far. He did it, I figured I could to , and did. I was connie bit from that point on. The technology and handling along with the power blew me away. I felt like I belonged. I go to pick up my Concours tomorrow at 10 AM in Ft Walton.  Im 50 years old. I can't believe the technology today VS the Harley. And trust me, I'm very knowledgeable about harley's and their capabilities.
I PROMISE, I will never look back. In fact, when the guy came to pick up my Harley, I didn't have one regret. GOD I hated that bike. lol
Guess some love it. I just don't need a life style, I  love to ride. Each to His own for sure.

2linby said:
Trouble said:

Regardless of the machine and its physical limits you should only lean as little as required to smoothly negotiate the curve. This leaves you ample clearance to lean even more if you find yourself going wide in the turn.

We run hard. Im running with some sport touring guys now. it's SO HARD to keep up . lol . Im at my limit with the Harley. With traction control and other features, cornering should be a blast. A GREAT feeling of reliability.

Tough crowd. Feel the bottom of your pegs and see if you have hit the "feeler" on the ground. Check your "chicken strips", none is better I guess.  ;)

I am 50 also and started on a H2 and Z1 900. I have also owned many Harleys from rigid chopper to old baggers. Great bikes and a totally different ride. You will miss the sound of 20 or 30 Harleys all riding together. You will enjoy blowing by them with a slight twist of the throttle. You will never again POKE in the fast lane. Most won't wave to you anymore...LOL...Tim :))

ConcoursKZ said:
I am 50 also and started on a H2 and Z1 900. I have also owned many Harleys from rigid chopper to old baggers. Great bikes and a totally different ride. You will miss the sound of 20 or 30 Harleys all riding together. You will enjoy blowing by them with a slight twist of the throttle. You will never again POKE in the fast lane. Most won't wave to you anymore...LOL...Tim :))

I enjoyed my Harley and chopper. it was fun. But I don't need a brotherhood just to ride. Your right about them not waving. I run with my sport touring friends and even thought I have a Harley, they wont wave.  Kinda funny actually. It's going to be SOOOOO sweet pulling along side and playing with them like aints on a driveway. lol . As for the sound, wont miss it. it gets old after a while. To me, the Harley davidson is the most efficient way to turn fuel into sound that I know of.  : :)

Ride it...enjoy it....cause you know you will !! And oh yeah, wipe that perma-grin off yer face. Come to think of it, I don't see many HD riders waving OR grinnin'.  Why is that ?? ;)

ConcoursKZ said:

Hey Tim, it appears you got to the triples and Z-1 about the time they were well used.  ;)

I have to say though, the 750 triple is only bike where I slide on the seat....The C-14 comes close.

We all wave in the South.

TimR, I like reading where you "the 750 triple is only bike......"

I can only make that statement in the past tense. My H2 Mk IV was tame compared to the earlier ones.......they sure could have used the traction control we have now!

Dude... when I start scraping the pegs... it's time to put it away.  :truce:

I commute daily, rain or shine, and love the freedom... the rhythm of the ride. The balance of the pass, the nod from the cager, the fluidity of handling the bike.

When I'm scraping pegs, pushing the envelope to that extent, I hear no music, I hear noise.

Riding relaxes me, when that ceases to be the case, I will cease to ride.

Just my $.02 worth.  :beerchug:

gnuse said:
We all wave in the South.

TimR, I like reading where you "the 750 triple is only bike......"

I can only make that statement in the past tense. My H2 Mk IV was tame compared to the earlier ones.......they sure could have used the traction control we have now!

It was pretty hard to keep the front end from going north too when the pipe came on. (I'm not aware of any street bike today which comes on the pipe as hard as a 500 or 750 triple did (There were nick names like "The Widow Maker." ) I remember trying to put my face ahead of the front fender to help keep the front down.  I'm glad I did not own one of these bikes. I did own a Z-1. In fact a couple of them.

The Connie no matter what year turns better than the old triples and Z-1's. I currently have a Z-1B which I ride often. The Z-1  will still make my heart go pitter patter and runs hard enough to get the oil light flickering. But it is the C-14 which puts the smile big ol' grin on my face.

The summer before I bought the Connie, I was lead and setting the pace for my group of friends on a nice twisty highway here in eastern WA. None of us had been on this road before on a M/C. We as a group rode everything, Harly's, Honda's, Kawasaki's, Yamahaha's and maybe even a Susie. The Harlyguys waved few and far between but everyone else did. (Our guys always waved) As we went through the twisties, I was in 5th gear and just pulling torque around the corners, mostly up hill and not real hard. This means I was doing the speed limit.

Then I noticed no one was behind me any more. I turned around, met one of  the guys and we both went back down the hill. We found Jimmy who is a midget covered in dirt. Jimmy had hit a feeler on his Sportser. Jimmy had never felt this before and he ran off in road into the ditch. Jimmy almost got back on the road but the sand sucked him in and he crashed. The only injury he had was a small cut on his lip. Lucky although one of  the guys is an EMT....We pushed the bike back on the road. His windshield and crash bars were bent up and I spent some time picking rocks out of his fins. Jimmy rode his bike home without problems but insurance totaled the bike. Sratches in paint and chrome was the reason. Jimmy got a new bike a 1200cc bob of some sort. When he sat on it, it looked like the bike had ape hangers but they were stock handle bars. Jimmy left the area a couple of years ago but he was fun to hang around with. Just a nice guy. This is my Harley going around corner story. I could talk about Robert trying to start his Harley in gear but this is another story.  (I tried this too one day on the Z  but I didn't end up piled up in front of everybody.)

I hate being the lead when riding the C-14.

Tough to comment, scraping pegs is touted by some as a measure of skill, by others as a measure of guts, while others as a measure of god only knows.

Anyway, key point as you go from a HD to a true sports bike you'll find lean angle will be a factor corner speed. The Connie isn't a sport biker, but she mighty close for my tastes.

As I've gained more experience and '2' track days under my belt I've found I touch pegs more frequently on the track, especiaslly when you can run the same corner again and again and again. I road a HD the other day in Las Vegas and was scraping boards all day long. Not because I was going fast, but because I needed to slow down.

On the road, I rarely push that hard as each corner is new, with unknown suprises, with traffic and way too many variables.

Ride and be safe.

Have you seen the video of the guy drag'n his head through the corner? On a track and don't know what bike. :-\

Keep the shiney side up

CHUCK :))

08 C14 ABS had since July

No peg drag yet. If i wanted I could probly go around in circles till I did but I'm in no hurry to dra'um

Not to mention that here in Texas, they pave the roads with rib grease and BBQ sauce. Unfortunately, I don't commute on a track. For me, and only for me, getting a peg to grind is completely irresponsible.

Again, not passing judgment, just my personal philosophy.

Thanks for the info. it halps me to know the connie's capibilities and what I can do with it. As you've stated, I'll be on a totally different animal. I'm looking forward to it.

TimR said:
ConcoursKZ said:

Hey Tim, it appears you got to the triples and Z-1 about the time they were well used.  ;)

I have to say though, the 750 triple is only bike where I slide on the seat....The C-14 comes close.

I bet I have put over 250,000 on a KZ or Z1 over the years. I agree that the H2 bench seat was tough to stay forward on. Only bike you had to pull yourself forward to hit the clutch. A Vmax has its own particular rush. Modern technology has made bikes capable of so much more today. When we were young we didn't have a care or worry. Just put a patch on the hole and shove a tube in it. Tread was a luxury. Heck today you can actually ride on a flat tire. I used to buy used tires. Vice Grips replaced broken shifters. Girls phone #s scratched in the tank. Bolts for buddy pegs. Girls asking to ride on the back pee pad and not bitching about it. Three guys kick starting until it finally started. Bikes that needed a hill to get started. The Concours 14 allows us to do the things we once never thought about. I still love that feeling in the seat of my pants when I realize I am approaching the turn a little too fast and I get through it. To the topic at hand: I have not found a turn I couldn't lean into well above the posted speed limit. It will also take one far faster than my KZ 900. Only thing that really gets me about the Concours is that you never realize how fast you are going with the stock exhaust. It is so quiet that with a helmet that its hard to hear the rpm. If I change out the muffler to a two brothers I wont be able to talk to my Daughter when she rides passenger. Comparing a Concours to HD is like comparing a 1968 Delta 88 to a 2012 Corvette. I would stop and look at both of them.

Tim
kz671.jpg

Trouble said:
We run hard. Im running with some sport touring guys now. it's SO HARD to keep up .

This quote has me a little concerned,  it sounds like you are pushing hard to keep up which is a path to bad things happening.    If you come to any COG rides (And I highly reccomend them! :)  )  you will hear us say over and over and over again "Ride your own ride"  push as hard as you are comfortable pushing, if you fall way behind that's OK  we will wait at the next turn.

As far as how hard you can lean,  it's sort of an irrelevant question IMHO, since on a C-14 or any modern Sport Tourer you will be dragging parts before you run out of lean angle, but in actuality the object is NOT to lean it that far,  As was mentioned already the object is to lean it as LITTLE as you can and still safely get through the corner at the proper speed.    Instead of trying to lean it further,  concentrate on your lines through the corners, pick your apex points wisely and you will find yourself going through the corners faster then you believe and almost never scraping pegs etc.  Another side benefit is that if you are not scraping pegs, that means you have more options when you find yourself in a decreasing radius turn you went way too hot into.

Anyone who doesn't think that's true should try following our own Cap'n Bob on a ride sometime,  I don't think he has ever dragged a peg on his FJR or on his old C-14, he rarely goes into ludicrous speed,  and unless you are Valentino Rossi I can guarantee you will find yourself miles behind him.

Welcome to the group! 

Stewart said:
Tough to comment, scraping pegs is touted by some as a measure of skill, by others as a measure of guts, while others as a measure of god only knows.

Anyway, key point as you go from a HD to a true sports bike you'll find lean angle will be a factor corner speed. The Connie isn't a sport biker, but she mighty close for my tastes.

As I've gained more experience and '2' track days under my belt I've found I touch pegs more frequently on the track, especiaslly when you can run the same corner again and again and again. I road a HD the other day in Las Vegas and was scraping boards all day long. Not because I was going fast, but because I needed to slow down.

On the road, I rarely push that hard as each corner is new, with unknown suprises, with traffic and way too many variables.

Ride and be safe.

Coming from a ZX14, I wonder what my riding experience will be like when I finally get my first C14.

The tires on my ZX14 were scrubbed to the sidewalls by the time I came back from National. But I have yet to touch the hero bumps down, ever. 

Sometimes when I take a really tight curve at enough speed that I have to shift my weight inside, the toe slider on my boot touches down. But the peg is still not dragging.

So I'm curious what it will be like on the Connie.

Privateer said:
Coming from a ZX14, I wonder what my riding experience will be like when I finally get my first C14.

The tires on my ZX14 were scrubbed to the sidewalls by the time I came back from National. But I have yet to touch the hero bumps down, ever. 

Sometimes when I take a really tight curve at enough speed that I have to shift my weight inside, the toe slider on my boot touches down. But the peg is still not dragging.

As others have commented and you just hit on...body position, body position, body position. I learn't a lot during my last track day and this is not just about hanging off the bike, but how to transition smoothly, how to keep weight forward and balanced, how not to put unnecessary input in the bars and so on. As I started to adopt pointers I found the bike was far more settled in and out of corners, I love it when you can apply and see a result immediately...so much to learn.

I bet I have put over 250,000 on a KZ or Z1 over the years. I agree that the H2 bench seat was tough to stay forward on. Only bike you had to pull yourself forward to hit the clutch. A Vmax has its own particular rush. Modern technology has made bikes capable of so much more today. When we were young we didn't have a care or worry. Just put a patch on the hole and shove a tube in it. Tread was a luxury. Heck today you can actually ride on a flat tire. I used to buy used tires. Vice Grips replaced broken shifters. Girls phone #s scratched in the tank. Bolts for buddy pegs. Girls asking to ride on the back pee pad and not bitching about it. Three guys kick starting until it finally started. Bikes that needed a hill to get started. The Concours 14 allows us to do the things we once never thought about.

Tim, i was just pulling your chain because you got tp the "good bikes" a little late. I bought a Z-1A new off  the show room floor in 1774. I lovwd that bike. I rode it from Yuma to Denver in one sitting and then back to Yuma in one sitting. Both times I was very much done. Keep  in mind the speed limit was 55 mph. MyZ-1 didn't much like 55 as the engine RPM was low. It liked 60 but not 55.

Today, I wish I had a barn full of these critters. I should have known.

Trouble, I came from a cruiser to an 05 connie, but along the way I picked up a few sport-standard and sport bikes to practice on.  I realized similar to you that the cruiser was not capable of the kind of riding style that fit me and my friends that I ride with.  I'm thrilled with my 05 and will never have another cruiser except as a novelty.

I would suggest that you take your new bike to a track day to get a better feel for how it operates in corners.  it's far safer to practice your skills there than on public roads.  While it may sound strange to take a sport-tourer to a track day, keep in mind that there are novice levels with all sorts of bikes and they will bring you along gradually.  Even though not on a sport bike, it can be a useful experience for road riding.  At least I've found it so for me.  Not only that, it's fun!  :)

As to your specific question, I think you'll find that your skill is more of a limitation than the bike.  it kind of sounds like you are not comfortable with trusting your tires yet, but maybe I'm assuming too much.  That's where track riding can help you.  And I can say that you can probably trust tires far more than you might realize.  I've got stories related to that too if you're interested.

It's kinda hard to scatter-gun ideas to you, but if you have some particular questions, I'd be happy to add my thoughts for you.

TimR said:
Tim, i was just pulling your chain because you got tp the "good bikes" a little late. I bought a Z-1A new off  the show room floor in 1774. I lovwd that bike. I rode it from Yuma

Wow, how hard was it to find gas in those days  :))

Mad River Marc said:

I lead a sheltered life and I always got change back from a $5.00. I did not run into the no gas thing like others did. I think I waited in line with the car a time or two but I think I was more upset with Cailf. having gas which cost over a buck right before going to Japan. I think we could all agree paying a buck 50 would not be hard to do now. And gladly so.

I have riden buddies cruisers a few times. I understand why people like HD's. Just not my thing.  I found my Z was easier to go around a corner than any of the buddies cruiser bikes. Granted most of my cruiser time has been on a couple of different Honda's or HD's. Does this mean I know all about riding cruiser bikes, heck no! but I do know I was not confident on them mid turn. Bottom line is when the OP gets his C14, a new world will be opened up. Passing cars is a new sport with ease. Nobody will beable to wipe the smile off his face.  I have never been a ZX14 and would think coming from one of those could be a bit of a let down.

i would recommend everyone read Keith Codes " Twist of the Wrist" vols 1 and 2 as well as any and all of the books on how to become a better rider written by former racers.
Body positioning, shifting your weight on the seat, loading weight on the pegs etc are discussed in detail. By using these techniques, one can negotiate turns faster with less lean leaving room for the unexpected.

Bill

Privateer said:
Stewart said:

Ride and be safe.

It's different because you are sitting upright and the bars are taller- you don't lay on the bike, so getting off of it isn't the same. However it should be well capable of scrubbing the tires all the way. It seems to track better than the Zx-14, but I'm also on new tires, where the ZX-14s were due for replacement when I traded it.

The Zx-14 does very well considering it's wheelbase and weight.

As for the OP and his Harley, the Connie will lean WAY over before dragging hardparts. My Yamaha Royal Star would drag the floorboards pretty easily, but I've never touched parts on any of my sportbikes.

What can I say, I'm a wuss.

To the original question. I believe any sport or sport touring bike is capable of way more performance than the majority of riders can get out of it or should try and get out of it. One posters suggestion of picking up Keith Codes book or others which are similar is very good advice or even taking a course on street riding skills at your local track from someone like Reg Pridmore.

Speed, entrance and exit points, hitting the apex correctly, body position, looking through the corner to the exit, proper weight on pegs etc. all play a key role in how a corner is properly executed.

Watch an AMA race or MotoGP sometime. Take a close look at their lines, body position and where their head is in relation to the bike. While there is some variance between riders on position, this is done so they can change the center of gravity to get the bike to corner at those speeds without having to go to such lean angles. Sure they are still extreme because of the speed and front tires still washout as a result of that and trail braking but without it they could never negotiate those corners at those speeds.

Here in far northern California we are blessed with the best motorcycle roads in the world. We can open the garage and ride 3-500 miles of twisties like you would not believe. Have I scrapped the pegs, yes. Are there chicken strips on the tires? Very very minimal. Do I ride as hard as others, no. I am 50 and not stupid..well not all the time anyway..LOL I still like to push but I KNOW that most of our corners are blind corners on two way, two lane roads with tourists, motorhomes, log trucks, falling rocks, deer, bear, drivers on meth and pot and always the ones coming from the lake that have been drinking too much.

Bottom line is ride at YOUR pace and no one elses and be willing to assume the consequences of what ever happens as a result of your actions. The bike is capable of way more than you are.

Mad River Marc said:
TimR said:
Tim, i was just pulling your chain because you got tp the "good bikes" a little late. I bought a Z-1A new off  the show room floor in 1774. I lovwd that bike. I rode it from Yuma

It was easy. Gas stations everywhere. Forget which brand, had a dial on the side and you could dial your octane. It went over 100, I remember that. And it was dirt cheap.

I had a Z-1R that I purchased new my Firsty (senior) year at West Point. I traded the H2 in on it. Dumb move. Anyway, that Z-1 was a great bike, and I put tons of miles on it, even when it was set up for drag racing during the time I was at Ft. Benning GA and sponsored by Phoenix City Kawasaki. It demonstrated that Kawasaki had graduated from the wing-dings (the sound the 2-stroke triples made when you let off the throttle .... winggg dinggg dingg dinggggg) to real motorcycles.

Teleskier said:
Watch an AMA race or MotoGP sometime. Take a close look at their lines, body position and where their head is in relation to the bike. While there is some variance between riders on position, this is done so they can change the center of gravity to get the bike to corner at those speeds without having to go to such lean angles. Sure they are still extreme because of the speed and front tires still washout as a result of that and trail braking but without it they could never negotiate those corners at those speeds.
Bottom line is ride at YOUR pace and no one elses and be willing to assume the consequences of what ever happens as a result of your actions. The bike is capable of way more than you are.

Actually, pay attention watching MotoGP and WSB, you will see 100s of instances per race where lean angles are so great that knee pucks slide even though the leg is tucked in tight to the fairing.

It just doesn't matter to us, though, we have no business entering a 90 degree turn at 120mph on public roads.

I agree, the bike is better than 99.9% of the street riders. Many have inflated self-images of their abilities, and should do more track days and find out where the truth of the matter is.

Trouble, when someday down the line you find you have gone into a corner too fast,..... DO NOT BRAKE,.... just LEAN MORE.
This bike can out corner you, and then some.

When you start to feel the footpegs bobbling during regular cornering, then you need to start thinking about slowing down.
You are still nowhere near the limit of the bike but you are starting to get there. Might be time to consider getting a sportsbike and some more life insurance.

That corner that was scraping the boards on your Harley @ 30Mph will now be considered a minor kink and you won't even brake for it.
I have corners on a local road that I used to brake for on my C10 that I hardly even notice any more on the C14.

Personally I rarely touch the peg feelers but have done on occasion when I've overcooked a corner.
I have also touched the feelers down in the wet after a moron decided to change lanes into me on a curved motorway on-ramp.
I was doing about 60Mph and if I'd fitted anything other than PR3s then I'd probably have crashed.
As it was a copious amount of lean and some throttle meant I missed his front fender by a few inches.
Needless to say I then gave him a loud lecture about his sexual habits, ancestry and personal hygiene, accompanied by hand gestures.  :96: :41: :character0029:

I'm by no means an expert or have a self inflated view of my skills.

But one thing I've really enjoyed on the Connie during my 2 track days this year is getting to learn how to ride her smoothly. Going fast is one thing, but riding through a corner when the braking, turn in, roll throttle on, look for next corner all becomes one smooth motion is thrilling. Slow, medium or fast is all feels the same....its like hitting a golf/base/cricket ball perfect...we all know that feeling.

In fact when I've scrapped the peg (which started to become a common occurance) it actually interupted that motion, so I started to focus on my body position and as others have said pressure on the pegs to stop it from happening. I'll improve...but the guys at the track suggest by then I'll need a sportbike.

One day I'm might have one for the track, but my Connie is perfect for the road where I ride under different parameters.

Stewart said:
But one thing I've really enjoyed on the Connie during my 2 track days this year is getting to learn how to ride her smoothly. Going fast is one thing, but riding through a corner when the braking, turn in, roll throttle on, look for next corner all becomes one smooth motion is thrilling. Slow, medium or fast is all feels the same....its like hitting a golf/base/cricket ball perfect...we all know that feeling.

Great Post Stewart.  THere really is, sometimes, a sense of being "in the zone" or "at one with the force" or however you can describe that sensation of everything being right with the whole world... even if just for a moment as the brake releases, the suspension settles, and the throttle application plants the tires.  As you flick left then right the muscles countersteer everything in perfect harmony as the head comes around and the weight transfers to the inside.  There is no fear, no apprehension, not even confidence, but simply action. Time almost stops and there is bliss, nirvana, peace, only the moment exists and it seems that this is the event which allows you to see something beyond what you normally see and feel things in a way you normally do not.  A way that doesn't question or guess, but could not be more perfectly calculated though no intentional calculations are taking place.  It really is like hitting the sweet spot and just knowing it's out of the park or over the water hazard even before the ball can leave the face of the bat or club.  It's all too perfect to have been intentional and yet you experience it too often for it to be accidental.  Yeah, I think we all know that feeling too.

Stewart said:
One day I'm might have one for the track, but my Connie is perfect for the road where I ride under different parameters.

C'mon Stewart, jump in.  Track...Crack....it's all the same!  :motonoises: :))

Hey I love my Connie for the track, the big girl shows of those skinny, no clothes tramps running around.

On the forum....let's just say I like to be conservative. Although if you see me on the New England roads at 6am before the family wakes up you can bet this Aussie is taking a crack at it.

After riding my new c14 , I totally understand why people were walking away from me in the twisties when I had my Harley. It's two different worlds . No comparison.  The c14 blew me away in the curves . The handling was unbelievable. The power is incredible . I could never go back to Harley now. I'm looking forward to learning and growing in my skills with the sport touring world.

As for trusting my tires ? Well.... that's something I need to learn.

I know this much, as far as Harleys and Goldwings and such, since I ride with them so much on my ZX14.

I can ride through a turn they touch down hard parts on at twice their speed. And not be near the bike's limit. I'm at MY limit, but not near the the bike's limit.

I guess the pegs on the Concours 14 are lower than on the ZX14, because to this day I have never touched them down. Close, but still never.

I started on a Ninja 500r.  I couldn't see myself starting with a cruiser because of control.  I rode mountain bikes alot and I prefered of the "controlable" feeling of my feet being under me instead of out front.  I also am not really big on chrome.  I prefer paint...  Is turning with a cruiser really that bad?  I have seen a vid of a guy on a crusier riding the Dragon and he seemed to be tearin it up, he was hanging off and flickin it like I would on my old Ninja 650r. 

Tail of the Dragon - Deals Gap - Warriors ripping it up...
Ok he may not be going as fast as I would on my 650, but hes doin pretty well for a cruiser

I have had my 650r down as far as I would be comfortable without getting pucks and more gear.  And I never scraped the feelers...  And I still had a grin from ear to ear :)

I am still getting used to my C14, havent pushed her much at all, and I am still grinnin'!  I have only put 350 miles on her so far...

Some photos of my recent Track day at the New Hampshire Speedway in October.

Attachments

• _K5C6806.jpg
    _K5C6806.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 112
  • _K5C7381.jpg
    _K5C7381.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 103
  • _K5C8139.jpg
    _K5C8139.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 154
Going up a mountain yesterday I came across 3 Harley's following 3 600cc Hondas, they all slowed done for what I call the dog leg corner that opens to a triple apex wide sweeper. Now if you don't know the road you slow down to a snail pace, I took all 6 wide on the corner with the big Connie no problems and powered away from them, this bike loves corners IMHO. Set up is 20 clicks rear and 14/3 front running pr3 since this set up the confidence is out of this world. Still get down in tight corners due to the bike being over 2 meters long but give it all you have is what I say :)

Cheers
Poddy

That looks like alot of fun Stewart. Where a bouts in NH is that? I'm over in Maine just north of Lewiston. I'd like to check that out sometime.

Jay

New Hampshire Speedway, with Tony's Trackdays, just Google them. This was my 2nd time ever and I'm still learning a lot, I can say two things.

1) Tony's outfit is good, I can recommend.

2) Its improved my riding and bike setup. But I still need to do an advanced riding course.

Nice job!  It seems like you passed someone just about every time on the long straightaway.  Shows the power of the C14.  What kind of top speed were you getting?

4Bikes said:
Nice job!  It seems like you passed someone just about every time on the long straightaway.  Shows the power of the C14.  What kind of top speed were you getting?

Not quite...I shamefully edited out all the times I was passed. As I posted in the other C14 forum they ask riders with larger displacement bikes to slow down on the straight and let the smaller bikes pass, as they generally go quicker in the twisty parts. I adhered to this unless I was behind a much slower rider. The last two corners onto the straight are very tight and you cross back on to the NASCAR track, so I generally took it easy.

To be honest...haven't quite figured out yet how to take them ultra smooth and get the power on over the bumps and tar snakes onto the straight with confidence.

Since this was my 2nd ever track day and I stepped up a group from red to yellow group (you can see the definitions here http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/3665/passing-rules.htm)  I was on the conservative side of life, happy to ride at my own pace.

Every bike is going to be a different experience depending on the model, the ride position, tires, load, etc.  Certainly have to factor in the riding experience of the operator on that particular bike as well.

My ZX-11 is designed for max lean with the lower center of gravity and more aggressive riding position but I've pushed my NightHawk K through similar turns with a good bit more effort.

Practice counter-steering to get a better feel for the handling of the bike and utilize the method when you enter and exit curves.  It becomes second nature after awhile.

Remember - "...you're only as fast as the confidence you have in your front tire".

Stewart, Thanks for pointing that out.  I know nothing about track policy, so I would have expected you to blast by everybody that you can.  You seemed to be keeping up with the knee draggers on the turns.  That looks like a great experience and great way to improve riding skills. 

4Bikes said:
Stewart, Thanks for pointing that out.  I know nothing about track policy, so I would have expected you to blast by everybody that you can.  You seemed to be keeping up with the knee draggers on the turns.  That looks like a great experience and great way to improve riding skills.

PUT ME on that track and see if I don't pass some rockets up. lol . rules are made to be broken. if you can run with the bigdogs, why not bite a few along the way. lol  I would LOVE to run that track

no offense to anyone is intended with this, but man...that track would scare the crap out of me to try to test my limits!  lots of surface transitions, even in some turns, tar snakes, lack of inside or outside cushion in some turns.  I guess I'm spoiled here in Charlotte cause I've got such nice tracks within 4 hours drive.

glad to see you out on the track though Stewart!

Sport Rider said:
no offense to anyone is intended with this, but man...that track would scare the crap out of me to try to test my limits!  lots of surface transitions, even in some turns, tar snakes, lack of inside or outside cushion in some turns.  I guess I'm spoiled here in Charlotte cause I've got such nice tracks within 4 hours drive.

glad to see you out on the track though Stewart!

Hence why I took it conservatively, actually I rode it like I would any road with the benefit of no speed limits, no traffic and no blind corners. Next year I would love to make the longer trip 6hrs versus 2hrs drive/ride to the New Jersey Motorsports Park. I've been told is smooth and sweeping.  http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/5639/couple-of-laps.htm

Ahhhh...the tar snakes!  Quite a lot of them up here in the Northeast.  Easiest way to repair the roads.

Had a near sh*t experience in August with just such critters.  Riding the ZX-11 into a series of sweepers in a heavily wooded area, keeping up with the other rider, pushing lean angle - having a wonder time, came around a hard turn.  Set up my entry, tucked in a bit, did the "look at your exit point" and noticed that most of the road was covered in the dreaded tar snakes. 

Front tire slipped just a bit, rear tire did the same.  Thought I was going to ass-over-tea kettle.  Recovered, slowed down, got to the next stop area and found out that my friend ahead of me had had the same near pant filling experience.

Stewart said:
Hence why I took it conservatively, actually I rode it like I would any road with the benefit of no speed limits, no traffic and no blind corners. Next year I would love to make the longer trip 6hrs versus 2hrs drive/ride to the New Jersey Motorsports Park. I've been told is smooth and sweeping.  http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/5639/couple-of-laps.htm

I've heard good things about NJMP.  Tony's is a regional group?  I've ridden with NESBA and STT.  Both good organizations, but very different.  Down here I have Carolina Motorsports park about an hour away and ride with their track club sometimes.  I also have access to Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway.  I've been down to Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah, and once did Barber Motorsports Park.  Hands down the best track I've ever been on!

Next thing is to go get a cheap track bike that you don't have to worry about wrecking so you can save the Connie!  :)

Sport Rider said:
I've heard good things about NJMP.  Tony's is a regional group?  I've ridden with NESBA and STT.  Both good organizations, but very different.  Down here I have Carolina Motorsports park about an hour away and ride with their track club sometimes.  I also have access to Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway.  I've been down to Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah, and once did Barber Motorsports Park.  Hands down the best track I've ever been on!

Next thing is to go get a cheap track bike that you don't have to worry about wrecking so you can save the Connie!  :)

Yep track bike is on the Santa List...but I doubt Mrs Santa will approve, ever.

But hey...aren't all the tracks down your way Oval in shape?...just saying.

I was on that one once too.  it's a real experience as well, but only wears out the left side of the tires.  :))

Here...this crappy vid will make you nauseous.  it was from July 11 at CMP with their track club.  Note I had the track mostly to myself.  there were only 10 of us there.
CMP session 2a short.avi

Track riding during an earthquake . Awsome I guess earthquakes
Can be useful :))

Keep the shiney side up

Chuck

I guess I push my bike a lot harder then most people on the forum. the feelers on the end of the pegs have been gone for quite some time I even had to replace the pegs, along with my stupid riding boots I paid a fortune for ( first pair) because I wore the sides off from scraping them on the ground.

I didn't think this was unusual though.

I've never though it was  a bad idea to knwo the limits of whatever piece of machinery I was operating.  For me, its easier to learn how much brake it will handle, or how much its safe to lean, at a time when I can control the situation.  Not near as much fun to learn when grandma crosses a double yellow.