• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tale of the Dragon

greywolf138

Big Wheel
I am putting a trip together for the Tale of the Dragon. Trip dates are approx the second week of June 2010. Trp will be for about 10 bikes, 6 or 7 days duration. Leaving allentown/Bethlehem area of Pa. Hopfully we will have a truck and 2 bike enclosed trailer along for break downs and carring extra luggage. Right now i am asking for interesed parties not commitments. Details will be available by jan 1 2010 Ride in beauty Dave

This sounds like a fun trip and riding the dragon is pretty intersting. If you are going to the whole area just to ride the dragon, you will be disappointed! The speed limit is 30mph on the TN side and 35 on the NC side. Police are everywhere, as are inexperienced riders who can hit you when they lose control. The Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful 50+ mile ride that is much more scenic, fairly challenging and a nice ride in general. I highly recommend you look into it as well. Just my $0.02 though! Enjoy David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

i would definitely recommend hitting the dragon during the week. i was there for the first time a month ago 10/23 to 10/26. saturday wasn't too bad but sunday was crazy traffic. i've always heard about the LEO'S up there and IDK if it was just the time of year i was there or what but i didn't see any except for saturday when someone crashed their sportbike pretty good. i didn't see what happened but i saw ambulances and patrol cars and saw the carnage get hauled back down on a trailer. there is way more to do than the dragon as all the roads in the area are quite challenging. the biggest problem i had was all the damned FAGOTS up there that do everything they can to not let you pass, maybe that's why they call them hog's :) there is another place i've heard of that is about 20 miles west of knoxville called the devil's triangle. it looks a lot less touristy, i think i found out about it from the dragon website.

Maybe, But that will make it 5 years in a row. That might be too much. I'm possibly interested. But it's too soon for me to start planning next year. The only thing that I've planned (but still isn't definite) is the national. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Since I missed going to the National last year and haven't been that far south since Run For The Wolf in 2001, a trip down to the Dragon would be interesting. I take it from the caravan you are talking about bringing that you would not be routing down the Blue Ridge Parkway. :( Of course you could split into two groups and let those who are riding down enjoy the BRP while the caravan takes a more direct interstate route. ;p Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

Hey! this COG not HOG - bringing a truck and trailer. Seriously, the route maps and directions for the Fontana National are still posted in the library. There are much better COG type roads in that area. But everyone should do the Dragon once.

The Dragon is closed due to a rock slide blocking US-129 in TN until probably the end of July. :gasp: Still there are plenty of other good roads to ride in the area without doing the Dragon. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

Dave, Great idea. I've been out there several time, and know quite a few excellent routes out there in addition to the dragon. I'm definitely interested. I'll be heading down from Richmond VA and I'd be glad to fall in with anyone coming down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Let me know when you nail the date down Dan