• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tank bag questions.. and rear rack capacity.

Hey all..  I'm trading my ktm 990 adventure in the next couple days for an '09 C14 ABS..  I am really excited, as while I loved the 990, it turns out I was never going to use the offroad capability, and I really think a C14 is going to be SO much better for my commuting and long touring duties.

I am shopping for a tank bag at the moment and will at some point pick up a rear top case.  I'm looking at the Givi or Coocase examples in probably 39 or 46 capacity. 

First question is what tank bags you guys would recommend?  I'm looking at a magnetic Tourmaster Cortech and was curious if anyone has one of these on the C14 and what fits the best..  I really just need to hold wallet, cell phone, would love a map flap, a bottle of water, ezpass..  those types of things.  Are the magnetic bags ok?  Is it worth looking at one of the lock in ring versions?  I don't need anything extravagant for a tankbag, so money is a consideration.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

With respect to the top case, I know that a reinforcement kit is made, but I'm interested in finding out what experience people have with just using the stock rails / rack.  If I were to pick up a givi case with the universal plate, would that work with the stock setup?  Will the stock rack hold the weight of the case?  I wouldn't be loading it up too much -- mainly briefcase, lunch and work shoes for commuting, or clothes when I'm on a trip..

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hi Wits,

I personally use a Givi V46 attached to a philsrack with the MonoLock adapter. It's holding up fine for my commuting and riding. I usually have a pretty loaded backpack in mine (laptop, chargers, a couple of books, lunch). I probably wouldn't feel comfortable having a passenger use it for a backrest (for that I would have to recommend the Givi rack with extra support). I had it a little overloaded on my return trip cross-country and it held up fine at legal Interstate speeds.

As for tank bags, I bought one for a long road trip but haven't used it since. Mine's a magnetic bag and it was sufficient for holding a couple of bottles of water and my heated gloves and power cable/adapters.

Just my $.02. :)

I suggest a Chase Harper 450 or 650 tank bag. They would be perfect for what you thinking about! And they do have a removable map pocket.

I suggest getting something to support a top case other than the OEM rack. There are replacement racks out there or one of the top case manufacturers mounting systems. All would be better and more secure than the OEM rear rack!

Chase Harper 450 smaller tank bag

Chase Harper 650 Medium sized Tank bag

Thanks guys..  Bob, what is that rear bag..  Chase Harper as well?

I really don't like the look of the Givi and other hard bags sitting up so high, and I will mainly be riding solo, so that soft rear bag might be a much better option for me.  Does it have any "skeleton" so it doesn't flop over if I had a laptop, work files and that sort of thing in it?

Wits said:
Thanks guys..  Bob, what is that rear bag..  Chase Harper as well?

I really don't like the look of the Givi and other hard bags sitting up so high, and I will mainly be riding solo, so that soft rear bag might be a much better option for me.  Does it have any "skeleton" so it doesn't flop over if I had a laptop, work files and that sort of thing in it?

The rear seat bag is a Bags Connection bag. It's expandable and has a rigid design. It is also pretty much water proof as well. I love the bag. The top case is a Shad SH46. Twisted Throttle sells the Bags Connection gear.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/921/340/

thanks Bob..  I actually didn't even see the top case.  I think for the time being, a soft bag like that would do the trick for me for sure.

might look at the Givi tank bag with the quick release snap-in ring along with that.

Wits said:
thanks Bob..  I actually didn't even see the top case.  I think for the time being, a soft bag like that would do the trick for me for sure.

might look at the Givi tank bag with the quick release snap-in ring along with that.

Bags connection also makes a quick release SW moto ring bag. That's what I just installed on my FJR. I have a large Trial QL bag sitting on the shelf, brand new, that was too big for me. So I had to buy a second bag that was smaller like I prefer!  :-[  Sometimes I'm not working on all thrusters!  :))

Wits said:
Which Bag Connection model is that anyway Bob?

If your talking about the rear seat bag. It doesn't have a model number. They just call it the rear seat bag. The Item No: BCK.RB4021, might just be a Twisted Throttle number.

actually, I was just looking at that one..  thought it was the same.  Are you aware whether there are any other dealers to price check with or is twisted throttle the one to buy from?  Thanks a lot for your help.  I think that rear bag on the seat, leaving the rack to bungee a tent or whatever to is the ticket for me!

I think that Twisted Throttle may be the US distributor for SW Moto and Bags Connection. By the way. This is the article that made me aware and interested in the rear seat bag. Obviously I bought one and like it. The only difference is that I strap mine around under the rear seat. In the article, they use the other method. I like strapping it to the seat better.

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_news/product_reviews_articles/archive/product_evaluation_bags-connection_rearbag

On a 2010 C14:
Tank Bag: Cortech Super Mini Magnetic (fits C14 perfect) but soon to be replaced by the Cortech Dryver (small) gas cap locking bag (cause I want better waterproofing and no tank scratches). 
Rear Bag: Givi V46 mounted on Phils Replacement Rack 

I have an old Givi E460 case on the Givi Mounts (The ones with the reinforcement brackets)  no issues with it so far.

I was looking at the Phil's racks, but I have a tendancy to overload my case so I wanted the extra support for piece of mind.

I have the Chase Harper bag Bob mentions above (the small one) and the Bags Connection Rearbag....

All works great

Please tell me what does the tank ring look like on the gas tank when Cortech Dryver bag is removed. I've narrowed my tank bag to the Chase Harper 650 or the Cortech mini. Please help me get off the fence.

streetglide said:
Please tell me what does the tank ring look like on the gas tank when Cortech Dryver bag is removed. I've narrowed my tank bag to the Chase Harper 650 or the Cortech mini. Please help me get off the fence.

I owned an older Cortech mini (more square) that I had sold a while back. It was a very good tank bag. So when I acquired the C14. I tried a whole bunch of tank bags on the bike at a couple of my dealers who I buy from. I found that of all the tank bags I tried, including the Cortech mini (and there was a lot of them). The Chase Harper tank bags magnets and shape fit the C14 the best.
I have two of them as I said before. I have recommended these to quite a few people over the last four years. I have not heard a complaint yet from anyone who bought one for themselves. And I received a lot of positive feedback after they bought them.   
So again I will say a Chase Harper 450 if you like small tank bags. And a Chase Harper 650 if you like mid sized tank bags!

Thanks Capt. Does a water bottle store on the inside, side or top and if on top does it interfere with the map?

streetglide said:
Thanks Capt. Does a water bottle store on the inside, side or top and if on top does it interfere with the map?

I guess it depends on the size of the bottles, I know the 16.9oz bottles fit quite well. I could probably put three water bottles (but not much else) in the small (450) bag. Not it does not effect the map pouch (which is removable - use it when you need it). The top has nice string catch all and a web pouch under. But when you want the map pouch, you just clip it on by the four clips. And yes they hold very secure!