• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tank Vents

JDM77

Street Cruiser
This is how you disable the tank vents. Just so you know, the cap you see in these photos came off a very clean wrecked garage queen with 16,000 mi on the odometer. HTH JD                                                                                                                                                                       

1st----- photo shows the bottom of the filler cap. You remove the two screws and gently remove the lock mechanism. Warning, be careful to not dissemble any other part.... This is all you need to do to get at the vent valves.

2nd---- photo shows you the first vent valve. It's the orange rubber disc. You remove the 1st valve. Just under it, you remove the 2nd valve.

3rd---- photo shows the two valves removed. Reassemble the fuel cap being careful not to allow the lock tumblers to rotate out of sync position.   

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 155
to prevent the tank from building to much pressure or vacuum, an common problem af bikes that are starving for fuel.

nice pics JD  :beerchug: :beerchug:

I only removed the lowest most valve (the first one you encounter). My thinking was that I'd still like some fuel control in the event of a tipover. Steve

Mine both looked perfect too. Removed them both. No more tank venting/whistling, other than that I haven't seen any change in performance. I have filled the tank to the rim on several occasions since the removal, but have not seen any leakage out of the cap or drain vent/tube.

After filling and after heavy stops or when taking the bike off center stand, I get a huge wiff of gas.
I am wondering if its the seal or this valve or what?
I know it is coming from the lid because nothing else on the bike smells of gas (thankfully)
I am thinking that the rubber donut is old?