• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tech Bytes - interview with Avon Rep

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
  I'm currently doing research for the upcoming National Tech Sessions, and had a phone interview with Sukoshi Fahey, a customer rep for Avon tires. We spoke of all things c-10 tire related, and here's some info any c-10 owner will want to know.

1) Avon has had the azaro radial rear for years, plus the venom bias rear (in GL size). We've been waiting for the azaro upgrade, which was passed over in the storm / ultra storm lineup. they have now released, and are shipping, the new 3dxm in the stock 150 size to replace the azaro.

2) they have also added a proper sized 150 in the cobra bias / reinforced category.

3) avon is very pleased with the 3dxm. They have added depth to the tread, so now it's 11/32", same as the touring tire. This is expected to give appx 2k additional miles.

4) the 3dxm has been re profiled to soften the edges and get rid of the triangle shape, along with getting rid of the "ball bearing dance" the azaro has. The profile is much more of a half moon vs the azaro triangle shape.

5) the 3dxm is multi density for long life in the center of the tread, and softer sidewalls for grip at hard lean angles. The radial belt is layed more widely spaced at the sides to allow a wider contact patch as the tire is leaned over.

6) I think the most gratifying part I heard was not only that Avon has these new tires, but Sukoshi is well aware of Concours riders, COG, and the necessity to provide tires to keep us rolling. She said she personally lobbied the engineers to provide for our c-10's. Thanks Sukoshi!

7) we spoke of front tire fitment. I brought up that the 110/80/18 is a much better choice for the 94-06 connie than the 120/70/18 the bike is spec'd for. The Avon guide tells their engineers that the 94-06 connie has a 3.5" front rim. Of course that's not the case, it's 3" . She confirmed my information by visiting another resource, and then confirmed that indeed, by Avons tire fitment requirements, we should be using the 110/80/18 front tire. She also said she would discuss this with the engineers to get it straightened out in their fitment guide.

I have more info regarding tire patch, rolling resistance, pressures, etc,  but it will be forthcoming at the National Tech Sessions.

Steve

BTW, I know this should go in tires / suspension but I'm going to post it on the general chat forum for some exposure, then cycle it to the proper forum on a day or 2.

Very cool, send my thanks to Ms. Fahey! I am very excited to hear about the multi-density tread compounds to even out the wear, and deeper channels to boot. Avon seems to offer the best performance options for our Concours, and I am aching for a replacement to my ME880 rear which has been slipping out on me alot lately now that I know how to lay down the power.

Most impressive is the attention given to COG and the Concour's specific needs. It is wise to keep an ear to the sport touring crowd, as we do go through our tires.

Thanks Steve as well, great info.

Thanks for the info Steve.  Perhaps we'll have a matched set of Avon tires for the Concours someday.  :great:

Mcfly said:
Thanks for the info Steve.  Perhaps we'll have a matched set of Avon tires for the Concours someday.  :great:

We do already - they are called Avon Venoms...

Volcantour said:
Mcfly said:

But Tom... they're touring tires, not Sport Touring tires.  The Concours is a Sport Tourer.

Having said that... you are correct Tom.  The Venoms are a matched set.

I HATE it when he's right...

:beerchug:

Mcfly said:
Volcantour said:
Mcfly said:

But Tom... they're touring tires, not Sport Touring tires.  The Concours is a Sport Tourer.

Having said that... you are correct Tom.  The Venoms are a matched set.

I HATE it when he's right...

:beerchug:

But if they're Avons, they ain't tires...

Theyz Tyres.

Rev Ryder said:
But if they're Avons, they ain't tires...
Theyz Tyres.
And don't you forget it.
Black coloured Tyres mounted on an Aluminium wheel!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao:

Thanks for this information Steve and Ms. Fahey. I'll be at the tech session to listen to the additional info from Avon.

Rob
COG #7390
2006 C10

Nice, maybe I'll have other options soon.  Currently I'm running Avon Roadrider (AM26) bias ply tires.  The rear just hit the wear indicator in the center so I'm sure I'll be looking to replace at least the rear with another AM26, then a full set of whatever was above in a couple years when both front and rear wear through.

I didn't notice any mention of the AM26 in your notes.  They are still making them right?  :motonoises:

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
dunno - it was never discussed, I was trying to find out other info, not checking to see what was in this years lineup. Steve

Fair enough.  Please continue to be awesome!