• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tech Session Leaders Needed for 2024 National

roger123

This is where all the technical people hang out so I'm cross posting info from the 2024 National Thread.

We need members to lead some “Tech Sessions”. If you have something that you’ve done to your Connie and are willing to share your knowledge please let us know so we can get some Tech Sessions scheduled throughout the week. Also, if you have something you’ve been dying to do but have been nervous about tackling it let us know and maybe we can get someone to volunteer to demonstrate the process.

This is a great way to not only help your fellow members that may be a bit leery jumping in and tackling a job but it’s also a great way to meet people and chat over a bike that brought us all together. And you know what they say about mastering a craft, “Watch one, do one, teach one”.

We’re not all certified mechanics, we’re just people from varied backgrounds and experiences that have come together to celebrate our bike and club. Please come out and share what you’ve learned along the twisty road of Connie ownership.

Maybe a tire change, replacing brake pads, brake fluid flush, stem bearing adjustment, adding a better horn or auxiliary lights, installing an accessory fuse box, building the ultimate tool kit, or final drive lubrication. We’re not going to rebuild an engine or gear box, and probably won’t get through a C14 valve adjustment. We all came to ride and we’re not looking for an all day project, just an hour or two to pass on what you have learned over the years.

I’ll have my support vehicle so if you want to tear up your tires on the ride to the Rally, have a set shipped to me, I’ll bring them, and you can lead a session on swapping tires. We changed a C14 front tire in the motel parking lot at Dog Days with simple hand tools! Maybe you have a set of auxiliary lights in the garage that you’ve been meaning to install, bring them and lead us along getting them installed and wired up. My space isn’t unlimited but let me know your needs and we can work something out. I can bring fluids and some simple tools (torque wrench, drain pan, tire irons, etc.) that you may want to have available for you to lead a session.

If you’re willing to jump in and lead a session please contact Roger Somero (COG 5903/ Roger123) at someror@gmail.com or 757-285-7924.

Wish I was able to make the event, or I'd be happy to do something. If there's every a get-together in the Chicagoland area in need, I'd enjoy offering something. I just can't get away that far with little kids and whatnot at home these days.

Thread repair sounds like a good topic. It would be easy to do a quick demonstration of a variety of methods with some scrap parts and a few tools and supplies that would fit in a saddlebag. You could show a range, from chasing threads, heli-coil, and possibly other repairs, like timeserts, keenserts, etc.

Maybe show some examples of what not to try, like previous owners of my bikes tend to have used. Glopped on JB Weld, drilling oversized holes crooked, and using sheetmetal screws instead of metric fine thread.

Well we have a taker for a Tech Session, Wayne Croteau has generously volunteered to demonstrate the Motool Digital Suspension Tuner!! He will demonstrate how to set up and dial in your suspension like a PRO.

Thank You Wayne!!

I'm not super familiar (well not familiar at all actually) with the C14.

I'm a big believer in routine brake fluid changes. On my Super Tenere there is a workshop manual procedure for brake bleeding, you need to make a jumper wire and cycle the ABS pump to ensure there is fresh fluid in the pump to prevent old fluid from causing corrosion, a new ABS pump is super expensive.

Is there any procedure like that or "tricks" for C14 brake fluid service?

C10 was pretty easy with no ABS just the old "pump and hold routine".

I think a C14 brake fluid service would be an awesome Tech Session. I'll have my support vehicle and can bring whatever fluids we need (as well as containers for the old fluids).

Hey folks, I'm getting some interest for Tech Session leaders which is fantastic. Looking at some basic maintenance items, what do you want to see? Brake fluid change, coolant change, brake pad replacement?????

Let me know, I'm trailering and can bring basic stuff (fluids and tools).. If you need something done, have the parts shipped to me and I'll bring them!!!

How about how to set the suspension for different weight riders?
Hello Ron, I will be hosting a session on suspension setting. Specifically, I’ll be demonstrating the Motool digital suspension tuner - the suspension setting theory is the same whether using this tool or using the manual method of tape measure, pen, paper, and arithmetic.

As we get closer to the event we’ll firm up a handful of ‘victims’ ;) to volunteer their machines to set suspensions to the designed sag settings.

Wayne