• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Texas LED Headlight Laws

Bigfoot_16

Can anyone direct me to specific Texas laws that either permit or forbid LED headlights? I have searched through the Texas Transportation Code and have only found legislation allowing "ground effect" LED lighting with the intent of making motorcycles easier to be seen by other motorists.

While reading another forum thread about LED lighting, one person mentioned that it may be illegal to put LED headlight bulbs into non-LED housings. I found no such verbiage in the Texas Transportation Code. Thanks for your help!

I got to the tail light section and gave up.

and Jorge was right I was referring to Washington state only.

I would suspect very few codes are updated so regularly/quickly to directly addres emerging/new technologies.

What I would expect to find is more broadly-worded code to negate the use of non-qualified (that is non-DOT certified) items.

So, you can legally only use hardware that's been DOT-Approved for a specific purpose.

Now, let's see someone actually get a ticket for a non-DOT-approved bulb...

I agree with JimBob.
Doubtful that a police officer would ticket you for Non Dot approved bulbs.
But he may ticket you for too bright of bulbs or improperly adjusted bulbs if they are blinding oncoming traffic..

I suggest; anyone that installs the LED's, lower them so that they don't blind everyone else on the road..

Ride safe, Ted

Bigfoot_16 said:
Can anyone direct me to specific Texas laws that either permit or forbid LED headlights? I have searched through the Texas Transportation Code and have only found legislation allowing "ground effect" LED lighting with the intent of making motorcycles easier to be seen by other motorists.

While reading another forum thread about LED lighting, one person mentioned that it may be illegal to put LED headlight bulbs into non-LED housings. I found no such verbiage in the Texas Transportation Code. Thanks for your help!
Jim, you're really almost answering your own question with some of your observations.  Texas has rules for how high headlamps can be and how low.  How far they need to be visible and the color (this is not in response to the various temperature colors, simply states "white" so a cop CAN read into what he/she wants to a degree), however, they dropped headlights as part of the vehicle code that is approved or inspected when you get your Texas Safety Inspection which is essentially your certification of compliance with Texas laws regarding whether or not your vehicle is legal to operate on Texas roads. 

Just like Safelite commercials trying to sell windshields by stating that a cracked windshield is "unsafe"  or "not legal"... well it depends upon the state.  In Texas if you have a large enough piece of glass to place a sticker then you pass... but now they don't even give you a sticker anymore.  From what I can tell, LEDs are NOT in any way shape or form restricted nor is the use of a NON-DOT bulb a question to be concerned about any more.  As long as your lights are adjusted well enough to not blind oncoming traffic, and are adjustable for high and low beams, the rest is pretty much wide open.  COULD you be ticketed for a NON-DOT bulb?  Probably, however, I think it would be a simple show up in court to get dismissed on the grounds that it is not a safety inspection point any longer, is not made known publically anywhere else, and certainly is not out of the realm of coming in certain vehicles from the factories these days which is why I think we've seen these changes the past ten years.

Mostly this is my in-schooled thoughts or real knowledge gleaned from my close links with Texas State Automobile Inspection Stations over the years ( and still maintained to some degree) through my own collision repair businesses. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've had the new LED bulbs in place for a few weeks now and have not attracted any unwanted attention. I like the road being illuminated much better with these bulbs!