• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The Connie Situation

mrinnocent

Because you've got to appreciate just how explosive this Connie situation is, I'm putting my ride reports here. I've had this 2014 ~15k mile bike for two weeks and just added Murph's risers and wedges on Friday.

First report! On Saturday we rode Oakland to Petaluma on 101 and then up PCH through Mendocino to Ft. Bragg. Sunday we rode down to Elk, then up to 128 to come inland and back home via 101. The risers and wedges made a huge difference in visibility, as well as for back and wrist comfort.

More notably, it was windy headed north, with some pucker butt moments going over some narrow, high bridges, and it was even more windy with strong gusts headed south. So, I'm used to riding much lighter bikes with less traction and looser suspension. I have plenty of experience riding in the wind, and when it's dry I mostly see it as work. Lean into the wind, and when gusts hit, let the bike wander under me as I keep in it the lane. Scary if close to a car (which I try to avoid but sometimes no choice), but otherwise fine. But the Connie is so heavy and powerful that it's much more stable and moves much less. Like I'd feel a gust hit me and anticipate the wander but very little would happen. The extra power also helps the bike resist the wind and pass as needed. That said, on PCH I ended up riding a gear lower to cruise at 4-5k, resulting in 30 mpg at 40-50 mph. I think a flash would help a lot here.

Best of all and most importantly, my wife loves the bike. She feels safe on it, like it's very stable and seems substantial. It's the least uncomfortable bike she's been on, normally she'd be in pain after a five hour day but she was only a little sore from using different muscles.

Things I learned:
  • I'm used to bikes (middleweight adv) with weak brakes that dive on braking. The Connie, on the other hand, begins slowing as soon as you intimate the notion. Like you think about braking, and the C14 is like WE STOP NOW. As such, it only needs two fingers, not a fistful of lever.
  • The throttle is very sensitive. I just read about a braking technique in Total Control where you begin braking and then ease off the throttle, keeping the bike in dynamic tension. This worked really well to keep the bike from getting blown around when i might otherwise coast, and it made braking much smoother with the suspension more settled.
  • The bike doesn't need to be babysat in the wind.
  • The range sucks. I'm used to 200 mi. minimum, and I'm fueling up after 120-150 mi. I hope a flash takes care of this.
  • Risers + wedges = touring domination.
Things I'm thinking about:
  • Dude lowering pegs omg. My legs are so packed in. 32" inseam for reference. My knees are creaking and my heels are getting numb. No bueno.
  • The flash, like I mentioned.
  • Playing with the preload settings. They seem good fully loaded so I probably need to dial them down when solo.
I'd upload photos, but this site doesn't host them and I'm too lazy to mess around with a third party service. Ride safe, all!

laker9142

I'd upload photos, but this site doesn't host them
After the recent software upgrade, the site does host photos. But you have to be a member for that feature to work.
Playing with the preload settings.
The so called preload settings only raise the bike up and down. You can gain about .62" on the front from lowest to highest position, if your bottoming out. I'm not sure of the adjustment range on the rear. If you raise the bike all the way up and are still bottoming out, then you'll need different springs.
My legs are so packed in. 32" inseam for reference.
Highway pegs are available from Ronnies pegs, he's a Cog vender.
I think a flash would help a lot here.
A flash helps all aspects of performance.

Last edited:

Tim R

Staff member
  • The range sucks. I'm used to 200 mi. minimum, and I'm fueling up after 120-150 mi. I hope a flash takes care of this.
I found I can regularly go 220 miles not getting into the reserve before needing fuel for the 11 1/2 years of ownership of my 09. (bought 12/08) I got myself the MRP for Christmas. I went to the Bun Cooler in ID. For me, this is an all day affair. I gained an honest 10% increase in gas mileage with the stock bazooka. This included all types of riding. Now I've added a Black Widow can. I have not gone on a mileage test yet. Tp be honest, 220 miles is about the time I need to get off the thing for a break.

I will do a full review of the Kawasaki Touring seat and MRP when I get some long days on it. Observations so far is the seat cover doesn't allow one to slide in the seat which keeps you from crowding the tank. A good thing.

mrinnocent

I found I can regularly go 220 miles not getting into the reserve before needing fuel for the 11 1/2 years of ownership of my 09. (bought 12/08) I got myself the MRP for Christmas. I went to the Bun Cooler in ID. For me, this is an all day affair. I gained an honest 10% increase in gas mileage with the stock bazooka. This included all types of riding. Now I've added a Black Widow can. I have not gone on a mileage test yet.

I will do a full review of the Kawasaki Touring seat and MRP when I get some long days on it. Observations so far is the seat cover doesn't allow one to slide in the seat which keeps you from crowding the tank. A good thing.

Christmas of what year? By MRP I'm guessing you mean Mountain Runner Premium.

S Smith

Northeast Area Director

Yes, a flash should help here. See the product review post I wrote up on my fuel mileage improvement after going with an ECU flash.

• Dude lowering pegs omg. My legs are so packed in. 32" inseam for reference. My knees are creaking and my heels are getting numb. No bueno.

This is one of those personal preference/comfort/performance things. I have same inseam and find the riding position satisfactory and do not wish to sacrifice lean angle. Go with what works best for you.

I'd upload photos, but this site doesn't host them and I'm too lazy to mess around with a third party service. Ride safe, all!
As mentioned, direct uploads is one of the forum features reserved only for full club members.

mrinnocent

Photos!

My wife loves the bike so much, she did a little dance.

C5A12E53-085D-4C32-AFAF-115C4644B719_1_105_c.jpeg

Only the finest, most premium Mendocino artisanal small batch fuel for The Connie Situation. Only $7/gal!

3E999047-4727-4C09-94B6-5607E9D50922_1_105_c.jpeg

Photo from not this trip, but from when I first got the bike, up at The Wall, just because.

138028B0-162E-41B4-B358-FD0EDBBF0AD9_1_105_c.jpeg