• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The dreaded 'helmet hair'

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
A couple of weeks back I finally got the helmet I've been wanting for 2 years -- a Shoei Neotec. The helmet's everything I hoped it would be, and I'm extremely happy with it...with 1 minor exception.

The helmet is a bit tighter on my head than my previous helmets. Not so much to be uncomfortable, just a good snug fit. This, combined with a bit more open internal padding for increased air flow, means that I end up with a crazy bit of helmet hair after even a short ride. Basically, you can see the pattern of the padding in my hair.

This wouldn't be so bad on a weekend ride, when I can cover up with a ballcap when I get off the bike. But I'm a pretty regular MC commuter, and it makes for some odd stares at work.

I should say that I keep my hair short. Like, really short. Every couple of weeks I buzz it down to about 1/4" (#2 setting on my trimmer). So, short of getting out the razor, there's not much more I can do there.

I tried wetting my hair and trying to fluff it up a bit upon arrival at work, but it's not working. About the only way it gets better is with time -- often it'll take until lunch or so until the hair pops back up on its own.

I thought of wearing some sort of thin cap, or even a do-rag, underneath the helmet to see if that helps.

Anyone have any other ideas?

this is coming from a barber, if you think people notice whether your hair is fluffy or not with a 1/4 inch of growth.....well no nice way of putting this so I'll just leave it there. Spritz with a little water and damn the torpedos!

I feel it necessary to tell you that you should be thankful for this issue. Some of us can only wish we had that problem!  :(   
:banghead:

Wet your hair, then get in front of a fan or blow dryer and fluff-dry it with your fingers. That oughta do it.

either cut your hair short like I do....number 3 attachment to shears...or carry a ball cap to put on when you get off the bike.  if my hair is longer, I wet it and dry.

Sport Rider said:
either cut your hair short like I do....number 3 attachment to shears...or carry a ball cap to put on when you get off the bike.  if my hair is longer, I wet it and dry.

he said he uses a number 2 guard......attachment

I hate helmet hair, but I get the worst of it.  But I have a bit more than a 1/4 inch too.  My head's too ugly to expose like that so I thank God I have enough follicle extensions to cover it.  But this very thing keeps me from riding to work any more.  It just doesn't work out for me.  Not many things I can do really well, but sporting hair growth is certainly one I can handle.  Hate helmet head though.  I cannot imagine 1/4 inch being so problematic.  But I can still sympathize even if I have no helpful suggestion.

I also have a Neotec (and love it BTW!  :great: :great:), I keep my hair pretty short on the sides n back (faded 1 to 2) and finger length scissor cut on the top, I always put "Bed Head Manipulator" product in my hair to spike it up, it works great, even when wearing a helmet, pull off the lid and run my fingers back through my hair to spike it back up, done, works great.  :great: :beerchug:

I do go as far as the razor.  I will say my Shoei pattern still shows up on my bald head, worse if I have the top vent open in my GT Air.  I don't care, since I have no one to impress.  Just a part of riding in my opinion. 

I think I have a fix for helmet hair and being warmer in a helmet but due to the expense of research and development and getting a patent I just have not been able to develop it.  Know any investors? 

EZ said:
I feel it necessary to tell you that you should be thankful for this issue. Some of us can only wish we had that problem!  :(   
:banghead:
Same here.  :'(

Your not alone, I love my Neotec but hate the helmet hair

Looking at selling mine for this very reason

I have a Shoei Quest and have same problem. I carry a bottle of drinking water in the tank bag with a hand towel and a comb,  when I take helmet off I use enough water to wet hair and use a brisk toweling to dry then comb and its like I drove the cage. :beerchug:

Shoei 1200 here. Same problem. Not got much hair left but it get wetted and fingerzz through it before seeing patients.

I usually cut my own hair and I've been accused of putting a bowl on my head to cut around the edges.  So my hair is, say, 2 inches long.  When I was riding an hour to get to work I would take a morning shower and put the helmet on with wet hair neatly combed.  When I got to work it was set for the day, looked neatly combed, no problems at all except the dampness of the liner got to smell funky after a few years.
Driving the car with a window even partway open causes the windblown look.

Lots of good suggestions -- I'm glad I'm not the only one impacted by this phenomena. Interesting that it seems to go with owning a Shoei.

I'll try some of your approaches and see what works best.

:great:

Mcfly said:
I deem this thread NOT manly enough for a motorcycle forum!  :96:    :))

If you think I'm turning in my mancard because of silly thread you're sadly mistaken......damn, I just broke a nail.....what was I saying?

You probably won't be willing to do this, but go to Walmart and get yourself a can of "Dry Shampoo" its in a spraycan that looks just like hairspray.  Spray it in once you get to work, run your fingers through and its like you just took a shower.

I'm 35 and work in law enforcement so I keep my hair high and tight (zero guard on the sides) during riding season. I wear a Shoei RF-1200 and my hair is always messed up when I get to work. I don't care. I'll fix my hair after work if I go out on a date or something.