• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

THE GREAT ALASKA ROAD TRIP

boburns

Mini Bike
I've been trying to do one trip that continually evades me, which is to go to BC, Yukon and Alaska. I was all set to go this summer, but personal stuff got in the way and I had to postpone 'til next year. I thought I'd see if anyone may be interested in going along on a month-long (at least 3 weeks) jaunt next summer with me. I'd like to have 1 or 2 companions to travel with who have "the bug." If you're interested step up. Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
moto-rouge-13.gif

I too am planning a trip to AK next summer (09). My daughters live in Skagway and Girdwood. I haven't decided if I'm taking the C-14 or the Goldwing. But I'm thinking late June or Mid July. I'm anticipating 3 weeks for the RT. I've driven the ALCAN 3 times. Figured it was time to Ride it. I'd be interested in hooking up for safety in numbers.

After doing some research and reading the Ride Alaska forums, I've decided to take off from Oklahoma late May and return mid June to avoid a lot of the crowds doing the same. Anticipating 8 days to Anchorage, 4 days there, and 8 to return. Camping most of the time, however will get a room once in a while to clean up. I'd rather take the Connie, but if wife goes, then it will be the GW and a trailer.

Tom, I'm still on target for "the big one" to AK. Keep me posted as to your intentions. June/July/August works. I'm not sure about June weather that far north, though. Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

I have vacation the first three weeks in July. If your trip ends up around that time I might be in. I am looking for a good long ride for over vacation and was thinking of Sturgis. What the heck, Alaska isn't that much further North - right? Keep us all posted as the plans develop.

I'm not sure about June weather that far north, though. Might want to get ahold of someone who lives up that way and check around. Sister/Brother-in-law live just outside Anchorage. I am pretty sure he told me once that June in better than August. In June when the jet stream has the PNW getting hammered by the pinapple express it can be nice up there. And when its finally nice here in the PNW, its because the jet stream has pushed it all up north. At least so I have heard. That is in terms of Clouds and rain. August is warmer than June. End of June will have the longest days. You can ride from sun up to sun down, which when I was there last was 4:00am to 2:00am. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Hi all you Alaska bound riders. Plan on heading up a week or two after the 09 national rally. Seem's some of us should be able to hook up somewhere/sometime while there.I'm taking my reliable/economical KLR, and spend enough time to ride all the talked about roads. Plan on riding to the Arctic Ocean with Greg Frazier, hoping his name/knowledge and my retirement badge enables us to do that at the top of the bay.I'd be interested in some company and riding friends while up there, and would appreciate any contact info you have to share with me for local friends or relatives.Failing that, my traveling cell phone # is 352 201 6189 and home # 352 860 1014 or you can email me direct > IronButtAl@tampabay.rr.com <