• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

This weekend's project: Relay/Power Distribution Block and Throttlemeisters

This weekend, I had the intention to wire up a relay, but a buddy of mine (helpful man that he is in targeting things for additional spending) passed me this link, which pointed me in the direction of wiring up a power distribution block: http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

I also finally got my Throttlemeisters. (In an aside, I posted before that I was having problems getting the Throttlemeisters in when I purchased from CASportTouring.com. They confirmed my order via e-mail, and that was all I heard for nearly 3 weeks. After a week and a half, I was told that they had to order it, they were expecting them in this weekend, and I would get them by Wednesday. Come Wednesday, no package. I called them again, and they indicated the locks had been "backordered", and that they "didn't know what that meant in terms of when I could expect to get them." At this point, I was seriously frustrated, cancelled my order.  FAXed the order in to the the manufacturer, and had the locks (in black) within a week.  CASportTouring might be great when they have the stuff in stock, but their lack of communication, and their shifting positions between the couple times I had to call them was VERY frustrating. This is the only time I have ordered from them, and will likely be the last time.)

Finally, I ordered and received my Alaska Leather pad about a day before I was to do the electrical work, so it went on (easily) at the same time.

So the Throttlemeisters went on in about a half hour with a couple of tweaks for getting the throttle locking in right.  May have to tweak it after riding. LOVE the look, and they feel VERY VERY solid.  (I got the heavy ones.)

The wiring of the relay and distribution block was absolutely a breeze using Posi-locks. Great place to buy them here (check out the video near the bottom):

Posi-locks, for those who aren't interested in clicking links, are a reusable, twist-on wire connector instead of soldering.  I used the in-line fuse holder I ordered from WebBikeWorld for the inline fuse, and the twist locks from hooking up the relay I got from Murph's.  The connectors are, as I said, reusable, and completely simple.  Loved them, especially for tapping into the tail light wire for controlling the relay.  Highly recommend these connectors.

The wiring was simple, for someone with little to no electrical skill. Using posi-locks made it all a piece of cake.  I now have an easy-to-hook-into distribution block for hooking accessories like my heated grips, and the cigarette socket I plan to install in the next couple of months.  Using my distribution block, I'll be able to install the socket without taking off more than the left fairing pocket, for easy access to the block, AND the installation of the socket into the pocket, if I decide to do that.

New Alaska Leather buttpad:
183470_1750521636113_1031036090_31993264_3071394_n.jpg

New Throttlemeisters:
181787_1750520716090_1031036090_31993263_6626414_n.jpg

Forgot to get a pic of the PDB installed, but here's the barrier strip I got from Radio Shack. I colored the negative half with a black sharpie and the positive half with a red sharpie. I'll get a pic of it when I take off the fairing to get at those valves in a couple weeks:
180591_1750522556136_1031036090_31993265_7145320_n.jpg

(Sorry about the photo quality.  Need to clean off my cell phone camera lens.  :))

Nice, Glad it went well.  I be wondering how the posi-locks do over time.  Write us back in about 3 years and let us know if they hold up. :)  I worry about the connections tarnishing with time and creating a poor connection but it sounds like they have made some efforts toward that.  Also most other alternatives you are reducing the current flow at the tap point by cutting into the wire.  Looks like they solved that too.

Oh, just realized that I forgot to put the link to buy them like I thought I did:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/sale/posi-locks-for-sale.htm

I was wondering that, myself.  I'll definitely let you know.  They seem to get well-reviewed all over the place, but I don't know if anyone's looked at the current flow over time.  They were recommended to me by a friend, so if I start having problems, I'll let you know.

I have a few that have been in service for about 2 years and 20+K now with no problems that I can see.  Got them from the airostich people.  That is a great looking kit you linked too.

I've used similar power distribution strips (barrier strip)  in industrial applications. They seem to work well. But my one  suggestion for the motorcycle use would be to coat all terminals in a battery grease. My main concern for a motorcycle application would be corrosion. I would grease under every slot/screw/clamp to assure corrosion resistance.
Also without a protective cover, be careful in mounting that something won't come in contact and short the strip to ground (if used for positive battery).