• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thrills in the Hills

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
Saturday, June 22, was a day I've been looking forward to for a while. It represented my second opportunity to do an organized Concours Owners Group ride, and my first for this riding season.

The event was the North Central District's Baraboo Hills Ride, a jaunt through the Driftless Area of southwest Wisconsin. For those who aren't familiar with it, the DA is an area that was never scoured flat by the last set of glaciers. As a result, it's resplendent with hills, valleys and even the remains of an ancient mountain range, known as the Baraboo Hills.

What this means for motorcycling enthusiasts is literally thousands of miles of twisty, winding roads through farm fields and forested hillsides. And the roads themselves, for the most part, are in excellent condition. It makes for some awesome riding.

Today's ride actually started up west of Waukesha, a suburb of Milwaukee, at 9:00 a.m. Conveniently for me, there was a mid-way meeting point at the ferry crossing in Merrimac, WI, just 20 miles from my home. So I chose to meet up with the group there at around 10:30.

The forecast for the day was rain showers in the early morning, followed by gradual warming and increasing humidity throughout the day. Top expected temp was to be near 90.

Well, they certainly got the first part of the forecast right -- I woke up to a steady rain. As I prepped the bike and my gear, I kept expecting the rain to stop. But by my departure time of 9:45, it was still coming down pretty well. So I resolved myself to the fact that I'd be riding in the rain.

This presented a gear-based dilemma. I could use the jacket and pants I have that are darn-near waterproof...and hot as a pistol in temps above 70 degrees. Or I could do the mesh gear and put my less protective rain gear over that. I opted for the latter, figuring that if the temps increased like they were supposed to, I'd have plenty of time to dry out if I needed it.

I took off and, after a quick stop for gas enroute, I made it to Merrimac right at 10:30.

I was the first to arrive, so I set up shop in what is becoming my normal locale for meeting other COG members in the rain: the somewhat protected shelter of the ferry landing's public restroom.

015.jpg
Pay no attention to the man skulking around the green building.

It wasn't long before other riders began showing up.

First to arrive were Drew (2001 Concours), Deb (BMW F800ST) and pillion-rider/daughter Dee. Shortly afterward, Steve (2011 Concours) arrived and we learned we were nearly neighbors, living only about 5 miles apart (BTW, Steve's got a nice-looking 2002 Concours for sale here: http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/3849718146.html ). Finally, the ferry disgorged ride organizer Dave (Triumph Sprint ST) and the two Matts (2002 Concours and KTM).

After some quick introductions, everyone saddled up for more riding.

016.jpg
Left to right: Connie Matt, KTM Matt, Deb, Dee, Steve, Dave, Drew. Not pictured: Your faithful chronicler.

The group split into two sects, the Go-Fast Boys (Dave and KTM Matt) and everyone else except Connie Matt, who sadly had to break off and head home to attend a graduation party. Deb led the Slow-Pokes. Given the wet roads and a rear tire nearly as bald as the top of my head, I was happy to take a more leisurely pace for the day.

We set off and, despite the fact that I've been riding these roads for five years now, we almost immediately made our way to some great roads I'd never set a tire on. Our route took us through scenic Devils Lake State Park, the most popular state park in Wisconsin. After a snake-like trek up the bluff, we were off again on the the back roads for beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. The further we went, the more the rain let up. Soon it was done completely.

Our mid-ride break was in Spring Green, WI.

017.jpg
Sun out, rain gear off.

I discovered the location of our stop was not entirely without planning. With temperatures starting to climb, and after sweating away the equivalent weight of a twelve-year-old in my rain gear, frozen treats were just what the doctor ordered.

018.jpg
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

Bellies full of frozen custard, we were off again. We snaked our way to the southeast, continuing to use backroads through the hills and dales. After about another hour of riding, we stopped at Deb and Drew's place for a late lunch.

019.jpg
Steve goes rogue with his parking.

We sat down to a great spread put on by Deb and Drew. Naturally, bratwurst was on the menu -- hey, it's Wisconsin after all -- and they were so good I couldn't help but have seconds. As we filled our tummies, we sat around the table sharing stories of past rides, self-deprecating tales of mechanical ineptitude and hopes for future events.

By mid-afternoon it was time to hit the road again. Drew and Dee opted to stay home. KTM Matt had to make his way back to the Milwaukee area. Dave and Deb thought they'd get in another 2-3 hours of riding, and made their way to the Mount Horeb area. Steve and I, living so close to each other, decided to make our own way towards home and Steve led the way onto some little-known roads in our neck of the woods. A few miles from my home, Steve split off towards his place.

I rolled into the driveway at around 4:00, a couple of hours before I thought I'd be back. Even so, I was happy with how the ride went. I was able to re-connect with some people I've met before, and made some new friends as well.

The next COG-sponsored ride on my calendar is the Hunt for Red October this fall. I'm getting a reputation for bringing rain to COG events, so I'll be adjusting my regular offerings to the motorcycling gods well in advance of the next ride. Oh, and if the temps could stay down below 80, that'd be nice too.