• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Throttlemeister Instructions

croach1776

Tonto
Throttlemeisters from PO - but no instructions on how they were installed. I need to adjust for slack - have contacted mfg but might be faster to see if anyone here has kept their instructions on installation so I can determine how to remove slack from them. Thanks in advance. C K Roach Jr IBA#42837 COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

Yes you adjust it with shims. The throttlemeister installs like this. You remove your end weight off the throttle side. You slide the small plastic ring under the grip and onto the throttle tube. Make sure it is on a far as you can get it so it it snug against the tube. Then you install the throttlemeister with the spacer and sleeves on like and end weight. The throttlemeister is turned on by twisting the throttlemeister. You adjust the pressure to hold the throttle with the shims, by removing or adding shims. The Throttlemeister does not have to be turned on to any extent to work. You want to adjust it the it is held tight in the on position, but so that you can manually rotate the throttle to the no throttle position in the case of an emergency. Now hopefully the previous owner included all the parts including the extra adjusting shims he may not have used. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

No shims or installation tools. I have had it off in past for heated grip troubleshooting and the shims seemed like SS washers. Thanks C K Roach Jr IBA#42837 COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

I purchased the Throttemeister for my ZG1400. The instructions tell me to "peel back" the end of the grip to install the plastic sleeve. the 2010 has heated grips and the end of the grip is very stiff. Is there a special technique for installing the sleeve without damaging the grip?

Silverfoot said:
I purchased the Throttemeister for my ZG1400. The instructions tell me to "peel back" the end of the grip to install the plastic sleeve. the 2010 has heated grips and the end of the grip is very stiff. Is there a special technique for installing the sleeve without damaging the grip?

+1. I just installed mine on my 2012 and I experienced the same thing. The heated grip doesn't want to budge. Anyone had this issue? Recommendations?

If I remember correctly, don't use the sleeve with the heated grips.  The brass collar makes contact with the existing grip sleeve directly.

I got new TM, instructions said do not use the black "collar" with heated grips.

As to adjustment, yes it came with a variety of shims. If too tight add shims, if too loose remove shims. Shims are simply washers of three different thicknesses.

New from manufacturer it comes with shims but no tool (used a 6mm hex if I recall)

I appreciate the replies! The only issue that I'm having is that I can't "roll back the grip". It appears that the grip is way to stiff and because of that the ThrottleMeister is making contact with the grip not the sleeve. I can't even see the "sleeve".

I will restate what others have said... If you have heated grips, do not use the plastic sleeve that goes under the grips.  The updated instructions from Throttlemeister confirm this.  This means the Throttlemeister will be making direct contact with the grip, but don't sweat it.  A friend of mine has the same setup with many thousands of miles on it and he is having zero issues.  Other than that, it's just a matter of using the correct number of spacers (washers).  One guy on here used a caliper so he could be more precise and use less "guess and check".  Me, well, I just tried a few different combinations of spacers till I found one I liked.  When I put the bar ends on for the last time, I used a little bit of blue Loctite. 

Again, thanks for the replies. As per the instructions I'm NOT using the sleeve provided by TM in the kit. The instructions repeated that the TM should making contact with the OE grip sleeve under the grip. Because I can't get the grip to budge it appears that the TM is not making contact with the OE grip sleeve instead the grip.

Exiledviking said:
Again, thanks for the replies. As per the instructions I'm NOT using the sleeve. The instructions repeated that the TM should making contact with the grip sleeve under the grip. Because I can't get the grip to budge it appears that the TM is not making contact with the grip sleeve instead the grip.

The grip sleeve is the little plastic thing that came with the Throttlemeister right?  You have a 2012, don't use it.  For your setup, the Throttlemeister should be making contact with the grip.  How can it be making contact with the plastic sleeve if you are not using it?  I'll admit I'm VERY feeble minded and I must be missing something here.

Exiledviking said:
Again, thanks for the replies. As per the instructions I'm NOT using the sleeve. The instructions repeated that the TM should making contact with the grip sleeve under the grip. Because I can't get the grip to budge it appears that the TM is not making contact with the grip sleeve instead the grip.

Maybe poor choice of words.. with factory Heated grips it will go against the rubber grip. that is what you want it to do. It is all good!

Lone-Rider said:
Exiledviking said:

Maybe poor choice of words.. with factory Heated grips it will go against the rubber grip. that is what you want it to do. It is all good!

:-[ Indeed. Poor choice of words.  I am NOT using the sleeve from the TM kit. Thanks! :beerchug: