• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tie Rod to Rocker Arm Tightness

motocommuter

All,

Question for anyone that has past experience with the rear suspension.

The bolt that connects the two tie rods to the center rocker arm, how tight should that bolt be. I mean should there be any play with the bolt and tie rods?

Also the rocker arm bolt that secures the rocker arm to the bike, should that be tight with no play?

The bolts are torqued to 44 ft/lbs but there is play in the both, the center one which attaches the tie rods seems to have the most.

The swing arm is off and I'm putting everything back on, but it seems loose.

Kurt

That sounds like the bushings might need replacing. Just a guess, but if the tie rods are moving even when torqued properly, then I thing you'd need to pull the old ones and install new.

After eight years of ownership the only play I've noticed was from the bottom tie rod (throttle side) where it attaches to the rocker.  I think it might have given me 1/16" of play at the rear wheel (up and down).  I think the tie rod hole eventually whallers(sp) out some.  If you do replace the bearings note my 03 has two bearings in the bottom rocker and a spare 05 I have had only one of the same size. I would recommend using two..  YRMV, JM2C's ;D