• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Time for some BRRR-B-Que on Feb. 1

Tom NWGA

In light of recent events, I'm calling this Barry's BRRR-B-Que RTE.  Come join us on Saturday, February 1 for a trip to Barry's BBQ, 85 County Road 327 in Fyffe, Alabama. Look for the silos and you're there (yes, folks, it's located in a fairly remote area of northeast Alabama), so you'll want to GPS this one...or have lots of gas in the tank, your choice.  Excellent BBQ, the best of southern cooking, and homemade ice cream to boot!

Be sure to register online so's we can get a headcount at http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=195746&mo=2&tDate=%7Bd%20%272014-02-08%27%7D

See ya there!  :motonoises:

I dunno know Tom. Doesn't look like you can get there from here without going somewhere else(s) first......If it's not raining, yeah! Let's see what  happens with the weather. Thanks for setting it up.
Ron

It was 18 degrees when Tim and I left Tennessee to go to Als  last time hopefully it will be a little warmer for this!!!!!And my darling wife got me a heated coat liner for my birthday,What a girl!!!!!!

Outstanding young lady you have for a wife! Looking forward to seeing both (?) of you at Barry's.  :motonoises:

Just picked up some heated gear. Now, if I can just find an atomic clock set to Alabama time.....

Geez, I dunno. Must be a broken computer, or an ID-10-T operator error  :). Google maps takes me right to the place by entering:
"Barry's BBQ, fyffe, al".  A little over 1.5 hours from Rome.  Those interested in riding together can meet at my location for coffee around 10. Wheels up for the ride over at 10:30...

Must be my cheapo PGS or is that GPS?? Maybe it's dyslexic.... :D

I have enough trouble finding your place. But I'll give it a another try.  ;)

I'm new to the Atlanta area so really looking forward to meeting up!  I hope the snow is gone by Saturday.

Tom,

Might be in on this. Will let you know by Friday. May be two up or might not, don't know yet. But if we go, I'll meet you at your house around 10ish.

Kurt

MotoCommuter said:
Tom,

Might be in on this. Will let you know by Friday. May be two up or might not, don't know yet. But if we go, I'll meet you at your house around 10ish.

Kurt

Here's hoping to hear good things from the two of you Friday.

Hi Kurt. I live in One River next to Ray,s  On the River at 285 and 75. Moved in in Dec but just brought the bike up from Fl.after the BMWNEF winter rally

Jack,
Try to make it over to Rome by 10 Saturday. You are welcome to ride into Alabama with the group. I'm in the COG directory or you can PM me for address info.
Tom

BTW, the weather forecast for Saturday is showing a high temp of 64...go figure (but we ride while doing so!!  :motonoises:)

Tom,

It may be calling for 60 degrees but it is also calling for 30% chance of rain.

Jack,

Nice area of town. Welcome to the ATL.

MotoCommuter said:
Tom,

Jack,

Rain, Spain, who's to complain after surviving Snowpocolypse?

Volcantour said:
MotoCommuter said:
Tom,

Jack,

I survived SnowJam82 so I've done this before. SnowJam82 I stayed a friend/coworkers apartment. We provisioned ourselves by getting beer and a bucket KFC.

For Snowpocolypse14 I just worked form home. At 630a yesterday before it hit, Kay said she wanted chili so I had to go to Kroger at 7am to get chili fixins. Henry Co cancelled school yesterday but she had to report but they let them leave a 11am.

Tom, do me a favor and post up the road conditions on Friday. Hopefully it will warm up enough to melt the snow/ice. Might have to deal with some sandy gravely roads.

Rain, Spain, who's to complain after surviving Snowpocolypse?

Snowjam 82...ah yes... I had just started a new job and was working in S. Florida. My wife Katie was stuck in Athens, GA in a small apt with two dogs. She was home alone with them for three days and then drove our new Jeep to the Atlanta airport to pick me up on Friday. Atlanta is an interesting place when it snows or ices....

Ron

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE

Change of meeting time and location:
Delaying time of arrival at Barry's to 12 PM CST (or 1 PM for those of us in Georgia)
Meet time in Rome being moved to 11 AM EST (Georgia time!!)
Meet location in Rome being moved to Waffle House located on US 411 as you come into Rome from the east (173 Cartersville Highway Southeast, Rome, GA 30161, (706) 295-0444).

Have checked with AL, GA highway departments, the owner of Barry's Restaurant, and the weather service.

GOOD NEWS is all roads are clear, but be prepared for a fair amount of gravel remaining from their treatment for snow and ice. Weather report indicates very slight possibility of showers only after 6 PM.  General temps between 42 and 49 F.

BAD NEWS Roads into my house are crap. Rather than blow the event on mishaps involved in getting to my house, I have changed the Rome meetup location to a nearby coffee-friendly Waffle House.  This way, we'll be traveling on state highways all the way into Alabama until right before lunchtime giving the sun some time to do some extra housecleaning on the roads in the area of the restaurant.

REPEAT - meeting time at Barry's BBQ is 12 noon ALABAMA TIME
              meetup in Rome at 11 AM GEORGIA TIME
              meetup in Rome at 173 Hwy 411, Waffle House on east side of Rome.

Out, In, and Done.

Had the Great Eight show up for this one:  Larry, Allen, Dennis, Bill, Jack, Phil, Ron, and yours truly. Plus a Great Dane pup that was all of three feet high at four months of age. Yep, the BBQ was THAT good!! Does the fact that the dog almost made off with some gear out of a tank bag, with nary a paw print on the bike, tell you anything? Once the gear was recovered, we were able to sit down to some excellent BBQ and conversation.
Roads were in great shape which was amazing considering the two inches of snow we had received four days earlier (for those of you living where snow is more plentiful, just know that the South does not do snow - it freaks us out when the precip is colder than our drinks....).  We discussed upcoming COG events like the Roman Rally in May, the inaugural Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous in April, the various wrench sessions in March, etc.
Had excellent cooked BBQ and some partook of the homemade ice cream. When finished, we went outside to finish our discussions and to check that the pup hadn't made off with any tires or brake lines. All was well, and we departed our separate ways, putting another fine COG event in the bag. A big thanks to all that came!  :beerchug:

Lots fun. Nice to meet some new folks and get reacquainted with some others. Well done Tom and thanks!

And, did I mention the outside temp when I started out this morning? Only a crisp 25 F. Ended up above 50 F, though. Almost broke out the t-shirt... 

Thanks Tom i had a great time and i dont want to hear anything about getting lost in Tennessee!!!!! Alabama has some out of the way places thats for sure. 1 coffee stop on the way home and a total of 389 miles it was a great a day!!!!!!!!!!

Who gets lost???  :-\  Ran home a different route that had Bill and I going down four or five county roads and nary a missed turn was had. Proof positive that miracles DO Happen... :great:

Glad you stopped by and got home safely. Hope to meet up more this coming year.

Tom, That was a great RTE. Barry's does a super Bar-B-Que. Jack and I rode together to Guntersville on the way home. Jack, how did you like the smell of that Chicken Truck we got behind!! The weather was wonderful for the return trip. One gas stop in Culman. About 300 miles total. I had a great time. I am looking forward to the next event.

Glad you came and that you liked it. Hope to find more places like this in the area, so keep an eye out and feel free to make recommendations!