• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Changer On My Wish List

Seems cool and looks well built.  However, I'll pass after seeing at the demonstration videos on their website in which they struggle to get rubber off rim while the kit shifts around.  They finally need two people to get the tire off.

Deanc said:
Seems cool and looks well built.  However, I'll pass after seeing at the demonstration videos on their website in which they struggle to get rubber off rim while the kit shifts around.  They finally need two people to get the tire off.
You can say that about any changer that isn't securely mounted.  I think most that drop the bucks for a tire changer will secure it in some fashion.  Bolts and anchors are cheap!

Deanc said:
Unless we're looking at different videos, I'm not seeing a struggle.  There is someone standing behind him, but can't see that he is helping in any way.

Was referring to https://youtu.be/nU29GECsmdU about 7:46 when the guy levers the duckhead around the tire.  Heavy breathing and changer shifting; the other person keeps foot on the changer at about 8:06. 

Like Bud mentioned
You can say that about any changer that isn't securely mounted.
.  Looks like you would have to drill through the legs on the unit to mount into the floor with anchors. Why not get a Harbor Freight tire changer for a fraction of the cost of this unit?  The Harbor Freight changers look like they are made to be mounted to the floor.  Wouldn't the Harbor Freight tire changer be the way to go?

The mechanism that touches the tire mimics what a professional tire changer would have.  Go to 5:31 of the video in the next post.  That's my complaint.  The model in your video seems to be a bit different.  No adjustable feet on that one.  That said, I would mount it up off the floor. 

I must be lucky. My local tire shop will dismount, mount, install a my provided valve stem and balancing beads for $10.

Looks like it should work okay, but I would definitely hard mount it about 2 feet off the floor to prevent it from rotating when I'm removing or installing a tire.  I have a No-Mar Pro model tire set up that I've been using for 10 years now, I've done just about 900 tire changes on it and I love it, very durable, easy to use, and it paid for itself within the first year I started using it.  Most of the tires on the bikes you have are pretty easy to install.  The tough ones are the heavy cruiser tires on the Harley's, Goldwings..ect.  The 17" sport/touring tires on the Concours come off and on without to much trouble.  Get yourself some of the No-Mar tire lube though.  MC News voted it the best tire lube on the market and I would have to agree. Go to the No Mar web site, or YouTube and watch some of the demo videos to get some tips on how to simplify the tire change.  Putting lube in the right areas and getting the new tire into the "drop center" of the wheel is important.  DO NOT use Dynabeads or similar products.  All the tire manufactures void the warranty if you use balance beads, and they don't work very good according to testing done by the Motorcycle Consumer News.  They also don't allow tires at the track to be balanced with these for a good reason.The other problem you could run into with tire beads is if you have to fix a flat using a plug.  The part of the plug that sticks out inside the tire will disrupt the rotation of the beads inside the tire and make the balance of the tire much worse. Balance the tire and wheel with adhesive weights, or the OEM clip on weights used by some of the manufactures.  Don't use cheap short cuts when your doing tires.  Trust me...I have a lot of experience.. ;)

Pretty slick, If your staying in motorcycles the sooner the better to pay for itself. I would like to have one, currently have a brandie newski rear tire to mount in my garage. I will probably just take it to cycle gear for $20 bucks. I would still like to have one, but then I'd be changing everyone else's tires :-[

Cheaper than a decent model No-Mar brand...Hmmmmm

Tundra said:
Pretty slick, If your staying in motorcycles the sooner the better to pay for itself. I would like to have one, currently have a brandie newski rear tire to mount in my garage. I will probably just take it to cycle gear for $20 bucks. I would still like to have one, but then I'd be changing everyone else's tires :-[

Cheaper than a decent model No-Mar brand...Hmmmmm

Yeah but, think how much free beer you would get.

My local guy is $20 to 25, depending on mood, if I pay cash. His tire prices are in line with the internet stores, though I cant get any rebates as he is not an "official" dealer if I go through him. Just cashed in on the Bridgestone $60/pair rebate, times two. Rocky Mountain ATV has a good price on the Battleax T31.