• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire expiration date

redline

FYI, something I never knew. Tires have an expiration date. I just watched a video clip that showed many tires being sold as new when they were 6 years and older. many accidents have happened because old tires were coming apart causing fatal accidents. I checked my cars and ZG1400. Look for the DOT on the tires. the last 4 numbers at the end represent the week and year they were made, i.e. 4107 is 41 week in 2007 etc. Ted

Even newer tires stored wrong can be bad. Look for the rubber dry rotting and cracking, especially on the sidewall and near the bead. Good information for anyone to know about tires.

Wonder if there is a comparison to new tire failures?
Fear is a greats selling point in politics and merchandise.

Have you SEEN old tires?  They don't get that way without time.  Certainly I'm sure that there are exceptions.  Some tires get bad earlier because of conditions and some that don't because of conditions.  But I think 6 is a reasonable and reality-based rule of thumb.

I have also seen old tires that did not see much sunlight/ozone when not ridden.
Wish i had used sunscreen myself more.

The rear tire on my newly acquire '86 VFR looked OK, but I checked the date and it was manufactured in 1997!  :eek: I've been riding on that tire!
Needless to say, a new rear tire has already been ordered...

Anybody with a 6 year old tire on their scoot should probably think of moving away from "Touring" bikes. :-[ Just saying!!!  ;D

Bought the wife a 1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk 2 years ago. The bike had 5000 miles on it. The tires looked great no dry rot or uneven wear so I never checked the date on them, turns out they were OE  :eek: but she did get to wear them out and will have some new ones for next season.

Seems like 6-10 years is a good rule of thumb but even the NHTSA has no real data yet on how to test and determine the real usable life of tires.

Froggerman said:
Anybody with a 6 year old tire on their scoot should probably think of moving away from "Touring" bikes. :-[ Just saying!!!  ;D

My C10 has had brand new tires on it for over ten years now. But they look like brand new still. With no signs of dry rot cracks. I will probably run them and see if they start developing and cracking. But with the few miles it has gotten on it this year since being rescued from storage, seems OK so far!