• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire pressure indicators

mellow yellow

Street Cruiser
I bought a pack of tire pressure indicators from walmart a couple of months ago. all you have to do is screw them onto the valve stems and check that the green indicators are visible. the indicators are pre calibrated for either 32 or 36 psi. I purchased the 36 psi's since my tire max. pressure is 42. The packaging says 'NOT TO USE ON MOTORCYCLES'. But so far I haven't had any problems. The only issue is that when you inflate your tires you need to check with a tire gauge. If you do decide to get them, it'll be at your own risk, as I've mention previously. :)

I know of one that failed on a SUV 1000. It got thrown off the valve stem at speed and deflated the tire. Don't know the exact details. But he had to replace the stem.

A while back Motorcycle Consumer News tested the inexpensive screw on types. They found that they are not reliable; they leak, are not accurate, and can come off. Be wary.

My bad on the previous post. It did not come off. The centrifugal force at excessive speed (120 MPH) caused it to depress the valve deflating the tire. Sorry

One reason this type of device is not recommended for motorcyles is that should one fail, the result is much more likely to be catastrophic (sp?). There are some systems specifically designed for motorcycles (Motorcycle Consumer News just recently tested one) which would be much more reliable and safe, albeit more expensive. Under-inflation is the #1 cause of tire failure (on tubeless tires) for motorcycles. It's not terribly unusual for a tire to lose several pounds in the course of a month if the bike's not being ridden regularly so keep a close eye on your tire pressures.

I make it a habit of always doing a pre-ride check every time before getting on the bike. just like a pilot would before flying. I believe that the fastest I've ever ridden was 80mph. I tend to be a conservative rider most of the time. :)

MCN just reviewed TireGard www.bigbikeparts.com about $199. Wonder if they will hold up?

MCN just reviewed TireGard www.bigbikeparts.com about $199. Wonder if they will hold up?
They're very helpful IMO. I paid ~$160 online. My rear sensor krapped out in Alaska, past the 1 yr warranty period. They've sent me another unit free, I'm satisfied.

mellow yellow said:
I make it a habit of always doing a pre-ride check every time before getting on the bike. just like a pilot would before flying. I believe that the fastest I've ever ridden was 80mph. I tend to be a conservative rider most of the time. :)

A pilot would not fly a plane fitted with a part known to have failed fairly frequently in other planes.

Well, I don't use tire pressure indicators.  They will just tell you then the tire is low or going flat, they do nothing to prevent it. 

Instead I use Ultraseal tire sealant.  Now after 10+ years I've never been halted on the road due to a flat.  Now I have run over some things that have cut the tires, but I still rode on it for over two weeks with no pressure loss.

I use the Commercial grade, buy it by the gallon.  Here is a link to the company;  http://www.ultraseal.com/pages/productslist.html

tcars
John

Reasons to NOT use these things

1. They don't work.
2. They will fail.
3. You will regret it.
4. They are a waste of money.
5. Why risk your life on a 4mm o ring?
6. They are not calibrated to any degree of accuracy.
7. They don't work.

There are other reasons, but I am tired.

I get the feeling that people do not trust these walmart pressure caps!  :eek:

Actually I would probably not trusted them either. I do like the idea of pressure monitors though. That was one thing about the C14 that I really liked. Except for sensor battery troubles, the TPS worked well. Too bad the TPS was the other half of the C14's ignition system!  ::)  I wonder how good the system Murph sells is. Is that the one you used Paulie?

I know a guy who used them on his Suzuki TL1000? and they worked great until one day when he was getting a little zealous and the centrifugal force drained the air our of his rear tire through the cap.  He managed to control the bike but it was a butt pucker for a little bit.

Hmmm!
I've been running these for about four years and never knew they had a rep for failing.  Mine still work perfectly and have somehow managed to survive a LARGE number of occaisions beyond the ton (almost every time I ride).  I currently do NOT have one on the rear since I have a 90* stem on the Mean Streak wheel and felt it might strain the stem.  I figured I'd change to a straight stem next tire go round and go back to the indicator again.  Mine were not from Wal Mart, but off eBay (gasp).  I wish I'd have known they were so dangerous before I bought them and ran them for four years. SHEESH!  Talk about livin on the edge.  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
...  I wonder how good the system Murph sells is. Is that the one you used Paulie?

Nope Bob, twas http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/13-315?catalogNo=1 They're schweet esp when on a trip, no need to manually sheck PSI every morn.

Murf's rig looks purty nice.

The ShowChrome one with the trick little caps seems easy to install and use. $199 kinda scares me off. I think I can check my own tires for that. If them things were $99 I would be all over that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TireGard-Wireless-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQitemZ230570971683

$149 and free shipping on eay

Here is what I have on my Connie, works really well and does more than just monitor the tire pressure. 

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6

I have had direct use of such type valve cap pressure for many years. About 20 years ago I had 1 fail and lose all the air in one tire on my 1973 Capri. About 15 years ago had 1 fail on my Taurus SHO same loss of air but still have 10 psi so I made it home. Jump ahead to 5 years ago and placed them on a Honda Element and Toyota Avalon, both had leaks in a year or so. Removed them from the Toyota but wife likes them as she can see the green indicator showing the air pressure is over 32 so I bought another set for her Element. So far her Honda Element has not had one fail .... Been about 2 years. I wish I could recall the brand.

Tried a set on my KLR650 2008 and found one failed in under a year and lost all but 10 psi.

So from the above you can see I have used and still use them, but would never use them again on a bike.....

Also I must be slow to have used them so many times when I had the product fail. .....  :motonoises:  ..... so often