• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire pressure sensers

telejojo

Bicycle
Has anybody had to replace the tire pressure sen.?My bat. went dead in the key fob and replaced it and then I got a mes. on my screen thet the tire pre. sen. were low on bat and you can't replace the bats. they have to be replaced at about 177.00 each but my bike is only 2 yrs old so Kaw. is going to replace them (whew)

The TPMS in my 08 went bad but it's 3.5 years old.  I have new ones but won't replace until I need tires.

I have an 09 ABS purchased in September 08.  Mine failed when the weather was really cold this winter.  Apparently, Kawasaki has recognized this as an issue and replaced them under warranty. :)  I want to know what is the normal life of these batteries in the units?  I've asked my dealer, yet know one seems to know for sure.  Since replacing them will cost probably about $400 (parts and labor) I feel it is a relavent question.  The units are sealed so you replace the whole part, not just the batteries.

Anyone here know?

I took my C-14 in Friday to have PR3s installed and the TPMS replaced.  The Kawasaki rep told the service manager at the dealership to check if the sensors began to work after a few miles.  I replied that yes the sensors work after the tires warm up.  Kawasaki then told the service manager that failure in cold temps is normal and not to replace the sensors unless they failed when it is warm.  Anyway, it is possible to replace just the batteries. You might want to check the GTR fanatics forum, there is a thread about this very subject.

Mine started failing in the cooler weather back in 07. They got steadily worse as time went on. By the end of 09 then spring of 2010, they were failing anywhere from the 50's down. The dealer ordered a new set of sensors and installed them when I brought it in at my convenience. Being they were working with me, I purchased a new set of Angels and had them install them since the tires were off anyway. Normally I buy and install my own tires. But it was good for both the dealer (selling me tires) and myself (not having to install them myself, or pay for them to do it). So for me it had worked out well.
But mine started off failing within a few months of new and got worse as time went on. But I did say something to the dealer quite a few times, as time went by. So when I felt they were really going bad, they were great about it and replaced them. If Joe's experience is going to be the new standard with Kawasaki. I can see a lot of battles brewing between C14 owners and Kawasaki!
I personally feel they should always work. If you run over something pulling out of the driveway, you may ride on a flat for quite a few miles before they work. Not that it is different than most other motorcycles. It's the part of the warning taking over the dash display that I feel is dangerous for people. Most people don't know how to shut it off. And even if you do, it's a pain to pull over and reset it as the manual instructs you to. It's even harder do do with winter gloves on. And downright impossible to do if you leave for work in the dark. So I feel that they should always work properly, for peoples safety! Of course this is just my opinion on it!

FYI, if your bike is out of warranty, it is possible to open up the sensors and replace the batteries if you know how to solder. All you need are a couple coin cell lithium batteries with tabs spot welded on them. You can buy batteries from Mouser and Digikey with tabs already on them, or you can go to any BatteriesPlus store and they will weld them on for you for a couple bucks. You do have to use care opening up the sensors so you don't break off the flimsy plastic locking tabs, but it isn't that hard to do.

When my brand new 09 was delivered, TPS didn't work. After about 2 weeks, my dealer was told by Kawasaki that a large number of 09's was shipped from the factory with TPS units not programmed to the ECU. However, Kawasaki insisted on replacing my sensors with brand new units. Short time later, another C-14 owner had the same problem on delivery, this time around Kawasaki only authorized tire removal to retrieve ID numbers...