• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire Pressure Sensor Shelf Life?

Rembrant

Crotch Rocket
Hi Guys,

The batteries failed in both of my tire pressure sensors (2008 C-14). A new battery was installed in my front TPS about a year ago, and I just had a new battery installed in my rear TPS. I've been running the bike with traditional valve stems for a quite a while now.

I know the battery that was just installed is fine, but what about the one that was installed last year?

There should be no issues with it having sat around for the past year, should there?

Lithium batteries build up internal resistance when stored, and the higher the temperature they are stored at the worse this effect will be. However, once you start to draw some current off them, this resistance layer will break down, and they should operate normally after that.

Hey Rembrant, just wondering..... did you install the batteries yourself or did you let a tire installer do it...... or who did the installation? My front tire battery is about to die and I guess I have to have it replaced soon. Thanks in advance.

Jigo said:
Hey Rembrant, just wondering..... did you install the batteries yourself or did you let a tire installer do it...... or who did the installation? My front tire battery is about to die and I guess I have to have it replaced soon. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jigo,

I removed the tire pressure sensors from the wheels myself as I do my own tire changes at a friend's motorcycle shop.

A local battery shop that specializes in this type of work installed the new batteries for me. They used the correct 3V batteries, and installed new +/- tabs as well. The batteries were coated, and installed they look like an OEM job. $20 bucks each.

I have to swap another set of tires on Connie again very soon, perhaps this weekend even, so I'll pop the sensors back in at that time and give them a test run;)

I'm only putting them back in because I'll be selling the bike in the near future. Otherwise, I don't mind traditional valve stems, as "old skool" as they are;)

I had the rear replaced about 1 1/2 years ago and it  is still fine; did the front in the early spring this year and it started giving a low battery warning almost right away, after temperatures warmed up it stopped, but now that it is just a little cooler in the morning it has started doing it again. I'm convinced it sat on a shelf too long. 

chamberlincalls said:
I had the rear replaced about 1 1/2 years ago and it  is still fine; did the front in the early spring this year and it started giving a low battery warning almost right away, after temperatures warmed up it stopped, but now that it is just a little cooler in the morning it has started doing it again. I'm convinced it sat on a shelf too long.

I had that issue with the TPMS sensors in my wife's Pacifica.  By the next 'cold' snap they were toast.

??? I bought a leftover 2011 Concours14 on 9/26/12 where the dealer confessed that they had to replace the main battery because it had died while the bike was on the showroom floor for so long. I guess the TPS batteries also died. Is this something that I can get replaced under warranty? If not, then they are coming off with the next tire change and will at least not be a distraction on the display. I thought distracted driving/riding was a bad thing, yet manufacturers are making modern vehicles with computers and displays that do that very thing. Oh how did we manage to ride for so long without this useless crap. What were they thinking when they decided to put such a high maintenance item inside the tire? I had a flat tire and bought a replacement at Cycle Gear and now the rear sensor is not working. Went to a Kawasaki dealer and he said that the Cycle Gear guy probably broke it. Lousy excuse to not take responsibility for a crappy part.  :'(

Oh, I'm glad this was brought up again.

I just put both F&R tire pressure sensors in this past weekend, and they're both working just fine. The fact that the front TPS sat around for over a year before being used didn't make any difference.

I changed my own tires at a friend's shop, so I got to see first hand just how tricky it is to get the tire bead past the TPS without hitting and/or damaging it.

Anyhow, all is good. Thanks for the replies guys.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Lithium batteries build up internal resistance when stored, and the higher the temperature they are stored at the worse this effect will be. However, once you start to draw some current off them, this resistance layer will break down, and they should operate normally after that.

Any pictures out there of the rims with batteries/tabs and sensors installed out there?  Fred I recently recieved your DVD's in the mail and have not had a chance to go past disc one, is this covered and/or talked about?