• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tire pressure with a loaded bike

fragment

Tricycle
I'm going to get my new PR3's mounted in anticipation of the new season, and since the PR2's of mine wore a little strange, I wanted to ask about inflation pressures.

If you were running the bike loaded with two up and gear with a GVW of 1,150lbs, would you adjust the inflation pressures?

I ran 43/43 last season, and I ended up with a flat centre on the rear with a "step" down to the shoulder.  Made me wonder if I was under-inflated or something strange.

Should I go to 45 or 46 in the rear tire?

Me personally, 42 PSI cold front and rear at all times. I never adjusted adding more pressure for weight or gear. I played with pressures with PR2's trying to make them grip like a decent tire. But with most tires, the 42lbs seemed to work well for me.
Again IIRC, 42PSI is the max pressure recommended by Kawasaki. And IIRC, isn't 42PSI the max pressure labeled on both the PR2 & 3 tires? So IMO, (if I am correct on the pressures) your probably riding too high of tire pressures as per both Kawasaki and Michelin.
  Most rear tires will wear more flat in the center and tend to square off a little as they wear out. That's a normal thing on rear tires. If you want to lessen wear in the middle of the tire. You could try lowering the pressures. It's a more rounded design (motorcycle). Higher pressures raise the tire height and place more load on the center contact patch. The down side is that it may effect your fuel mileage with more rolling resistance. But it may give good grip. So it may be a trade off. Like I said, 42PSI cold front and rear, served me well. Of course, just my opinion.

42 is max on the PR2's and 3's.  I run 42/42.  The reason you have the step down from the center to the side is the dual compound.  There's not much you can do about it unless you want to be one of these guys that never leans and gets 15,000 miles out of a rear tire.  :D

If you read the tire correctly it states MAX LOAD 805lbs @42psi. It doesn't say anything about MAX PRESSURE. I try to run my PR3s at 45psi and never below 42psi. I got 12,000 miles on my first set and am very happy with the wear and handling. The MOST mileage ever on a motorcycle tire for me in 40years of riding. I find that the extra 3psi makes a difference in handling and results for wear are quite positive. Recommended tire pressure is just that; a recommendation. You need to experiment and find the correct psi for your style of riding. Low pressure will wear a tire much faster because of excessive heat build up at high speeds.

I want to chime in here for a second. Today I had my new PR3s put on. I was replacing the original stock tires. Stockers only had about 2500 miles on them and the mechanic told me to come look at the stockers. Not sure what you mean by a "step down" on the tread but it looked like they were flat on the middle of the tire and then dropped off almost square and then rounded down to the sidewalls. I was pretty particular About keeping them at or as close as possible to 42psi. Is that a normal occurance with them or is there some other issue I'm missing?  Any comments??

After reading this thread I'm thinking about running the pilots at 45. Anyone else running pr3 at 45 psi?