• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire ware pr2 vs pr3 only please

JS_racer

Street Cruiser
OK, for the guys that have run the pr2 and the pr3, how do the mileages compare between these two ?? did one last longer or about the same ??

thanks much for the time,
Joel

(tried a few pr2 sets early on, then went to the 023 stones. very happy with them but the ware isn't good for me, now on a gt front and rear 023 in a 55 rear. think a pr? will be my next set to test again for mileage and handling. i get about 6-7k from a front and 4-5k from a rear. )

I find them to be wearing about the same. But in my experience (And I'm only stating my opinion here), the PR3 is a much better tire in every other area. I found the PR2 to be a questionable tire at best. Where as the PR3 has been a good tire in every area (not the best in every area, but good). And by far better than the PR2 in every aspect except maybe wear and price. I have the PR3's on my bike right now and would consider using them again. But I wouldn't put PR2's back on my bike if they were free! I found them to be that big of a difference between the two tires.
      I have to admit that I did think that I had a bad set of tires when I used the PR2's. But way too many other folks have had similar experiences with the PR2. So I wasn't an isolated example. But to be fair, a lot of folks loved the PR2 and never had trouble with them. So that leads me to feel that the PR2 was a very inconsistent tire (quality wise). So I will never use it again.
    But as to the PR3. It has (in my case) proven to be a good tire that handles good, wears very well and excels in the rain. I have heard much, much less in terms of folks having issues with the PR3 compared to the PR2. So in my opinion, I can recommend the PR3 over the PR2. The little bit of money you might save on PR2's isn't worth the possibility of getting one of the less than stellar sets of PR2's that seemed to be out there. And since (IMO) the PR3 out performs the PR3 in every way (except price). It would be foolish to buy the PR2, in my opinion.
      Now to be clear, I'm not saying that the PR3 is the best tire out there. But since the parameters of this thread state that your only interested in these two versions of the Michelin Pilot Road tires. That's what I tried to abide to and base all my opinions based on these two tires. But the truth be told, (in my opinion) there is no comparison. There is really only one decent tire in this comparison. The only decent tire in this comparison is the PR3. But it's a very good tire if you are only considering Michelin Pilot Road tires.

i replaced my rear PR2 (15.5k, lots of highway) with a PR3 and was amazed at the difference.

PR3 the way to go between the two.

wyland said:
......15.5k, lots of highway............. 

PR3 the way to go between the two.

:-\ i am 4-5k miles for a rear (so 3-4 rears to your one, and i dont hammer it. not sure my malfunction. Sure like my twisties though ) . thats the reason for the milage comparison for my next set, if close the 3 is the way to go. sure hate to get it on and find it gets 3500 miles or something from them. hope that makes sense

I just changed out my first set of PR3s. 7100 on the front, 5800 on the rear. Lots of hard twisties and driving sweepers. Rear is about the same as the PR2 in mileage for me. I think the 2 felt just a bit better handling wise. The front PR3 is twice the tire the 2 is. Even wear, no cupping. The cupping on 3 different PR2s was just crazy. The PR3 had no odd wear issues. I did put on another set of 3s Monday. I think I will try a 2 rear with a 3 front next time. In a 190/55 rear of course.

just a bump  :)

(my front gt 023 is holding up great, but another rear in the bin with 4000 miles on it  ???)
next round is a pr2 or pr3, should be about a month or so till then. lol

thanks again,
Joel

I have a set of 3's on my horse now,  About 3500 on them and they still look brand new (Combination of Slab and twisties  )

Happy with them so far,  :)

I had both sets of tires on my previous bike (BMW KRS), so I was able to compare apples to apples. When I first put on the PR2's, it took a while to get them scrubbed in and the rear of the bike seemed a little "loose" for the first 500-600 miles. The front PR2 cupped with about 3,500 miles and the rear was toast. Yes, I rode the bike very aggressively (my wife says I'm not "passenger friendly"). I replaced  them with PR3's and the difference was night to day. When I sold the bike, the PR3's on it had around 3,600 miles and looked to have 80% of the tread front and rear. My C14 had PR2's on it when I bought it and they look to be 60%. When I replace them, I'll go with PR3's.