• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tires for a flat commute

giant81

Mini Bike
and by flat, I mean I do 120mi a day/600mi a week and other than a couple corners at stop signs/lights and a single round about, it's a straight line to work and back.  Yeah I know, I have a twisty bike for a commute more suited for a trike, but I love the way the bike handles, and I work and live where I do so what can you do  :motonoises:

I also weight 300lb, so the bike is essentially two up, and total combined weight is over 900lbs

any chance of finding a tire that will keep any resemblance of a rounded profile?  Don't corner at all really, and even when I do I can't lay it down that far (can't touch a feeler, I'm pretty sure I'd wash out and die if i tried, but I can scrape my size 15 boots).

Angels sound ok, but they don't sound like a 3 season commuting tire, they sound more like a road legal racing tire for getting giddy in the twisties.  The shinkos I have now have plateaued off after 5k and feel uneasy in the corners because of it.  it may just be the way the bike is and I just have to deal with it, but thought I'd ask what people thought. 

As far as grinding the ridges back to more of a rounded profile, I like that idea and may take a course grit on my belt sander to the ridge to knock them down. 

Can't recommend a tire but I can tell you that a belt sander does not work as well as a hand plane for wood. It MUST have a very sharp iron (blade). It's how we shave tires for Land Speed Racing. At really high speed a new tire will throw chunks of rubber off and become unsafe. They also grow not only taller but also wider.

Avon Storms lasted me as much as 18,000 miles, I expect that the 3D X-M will last about the same.
As for the rear, I used one Michelin Commander II that had very good wear properties. It's a dual compound high-mileage tire made for heavier bike (like H-Ds). It had good handling and good dry grip, but not so great when there was moisture on the road. Even morning dew on a lane stripe caused a minor slip.
I replaced it after about 6,000 miles (with an Avon), and it showed very little wear.

I'll keep that in mind, THANKS!

I have another set of tires I took off because they plateaued off and got squirrly.  maybe those would be a good set of tires to play around with re-profiling them. 

Oh didn't think to ask the guys lane splitting in CA with wet on the road.  If a tire can hold on to wet paint stripes in CA without slipping, and get good mileage, my commute would be easy. 

I read really great things about the Metzeler Roadtec 01. haven't tried them yet; Waiting on my Michelin Pilot 4 gt-a to wear out before I buy a set of Metzelers.

an interesting article on the topic here: https://fortnine.ca/en/best-sport-touring-motorcycle-tires/

yeah I've seen that review, and I'm pretty sure I think I want to go with the roadtec, but it was new at the time of the review.  I wonder if his opinion has changed. 

He also mentioned it's got a wide and flat footprint and that it flattens off when it wears, which is exactly what I'm going to do with it :)

As far as dark side, I'm not against it, but has anyone ever darksided a connie?  .

The problem I'm afraid of with the ANGEL GT's is this comment by Ryan

Timid motorcyclists will wear away the mid shoulder too soon, since they spend a lot of time cornering here but rarely get down here. That results in a very average-feeling tire that squares off quicker than a tri-compound … Angel GTs aren’t that popular with timid riders.

Whether or not I am a timid rider (and I'm pretty sure I'd fit that description) my commute means the bike never really leans into corners at all and I'll end up with the same problem, timid or not. 

I think a confident commuting tire would be the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Tires.

Here's a detailed review with some details about longevity as well done with an FJR which is obviously in the same class as the C14.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/02/26/dunlop-roadsmart-3-review-performance-motorcycle-touring-tires/

The longevity test was done by Dunlop on a BMW which are notorious for eating up rear tires (personal experience talking there) and yet the rear tire still lasted for a good long while.

With the easy wallet prices if I were commuting on my C14, this would be my go to tire.

Hi,
      I run the Angels, but....

I had no problem with the OEM Bridgestones (until I got the Angels!)

If you, I would put up an ad for peoples OEM tires, that want to get into a stickier tire!

I guess people could "paper tape" the used tires and ship them like the Dealers!

Got to be cheaper than new?

Remember the OEM tires were improved in 2010! ;D

Oh yea, I ran mine to 5000 miles and they were toast! :truce:

Attachments

• ssb-model-samantha-padilla-04.jpg
    ssb-model-samantha-padilla-04.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 112
I have YET to find a tire that doesn't flat-spot the center on the C14, but I suspect that has alot to do with how I control the throttle, more than anything.

With THAT said, I really don't think the Angel GT is the right tire for Flat Land Commuting.
Any person or reviewer will tell you, that the Angel is really a "race tire" for a big bike -- and that's
comparatively to other touring tires on the market.

I get about 5-6K miles on a set of tires, and I ride mostly highway and live near the mountains.
No commuting. I ride with a passenger a few times a year, and periodically carry enough gear for an overnight trip.  I rarely run my tires to wear bars, let alone the cords.
I tend to replace tires every year.

If you want higher mileage and center line wear resistance, I don't think the Pirelli is the right choice.

I'm on my Third set, btw.  :beerchug:

gr

I run Angel GT's and commute 25 miles each way on the parkways of Long Island. I'll normally get 9 to 10k out of a set. Great in the dry, wet and everything else I've gone through. They do end up flattening out but also think my heavy hand has a lot to do with it.