• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tires

bobbyb

Big Wheel
Tried to thread the forums to seek true knowledge but went cross-eyed
1.  Currently have a set of factory tires on my Conny 1400; Bridgestone 120 70ZR 17M/C.    Dealer says they'll last to approximately 6000K...currently have about 4400 on them.  To me they still have a buncha good tread left.  Keep them at 40PSI (42 is max).  My cycling is mostly to and from work as well as touring.  No mad stuff.
2.  I'm headed out on a 6000K trip at the end of August.  Again, touring.
3.  Question:  Any suggestions and/or websites a good, no great, replacement tire?  What range should I look at?
Mucho Thanks in advance

I never skimp on tires or brakes. Buy good quality tires. A lot of times the money you might save on lower priced tires "may" be off set by replacing them sooner. Then your incurring the time and/or cost of replacing tires more often. There are a lot of good tires out there for the C14. Michelin, Pirelli, Avon, Dunlop just to name a few. Here's a link to a tire vendor thread. You can shop around for prices (I do it delivered to my door).

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,30268.0.html

Actually 42psi is recommended tire pressure is not 40 and it states it in both the owners manual and shop manual 42 psi.

That being said I used to run PR2s and love them, but the cost is just too high  for the frequency that I need to change tires.

I bought this bike because the service on my BMW's was too expensive ($2400 a year)and I'm finding that even though I can service the C14 myself I'm still putting six sets of tires on it a year.

I have also tried the Dunlop Road smart and Pirelli Angle ST, all of them were good tires but I like the Michelin the best. the tire wear on all of them was about the same, 6000 on the rear and 8000 on the front approximately.

Now I run Shinko tires because the cost is so cheap. I've had three sets of 011s installed which I got 5000 miles out of the rear and 7000 out of the front but the tires can be purchased for $200 delivered.

I'm not happy with the mileage on those so I've now switched to the Shinko 009 which I just installed and only have about 1000 miles on. The rear tire is almost perfectly flat so when you're running in a straight line more of the tire is contacting the road surface so the mileage should be better. I like everyone else ware the center of the tire out first and since there's a lot more tire on the road while driving straight you should get more mileage out of it. At least that's what Shinko told me.

I hear really good things about the Michelin PR3s but I'm unwilling to spend the $340 to find out.

The sacrifices is when you get into a corner you really need to slow down because not as much contact patch is available, and it has stepped out on me a couple times. Don't know if I'll get a second set but I'm going to see how the mileage is.

Michelin PR3's.
Yes, more expensive, but best grip, best wet grip, and best life unless ya fit car tyres.  :rotflmao:
I have never understood why people will spend $1000s on a motorcycle and then cheap out on tyres and brake pads.
If you never ride in the rain then the cheaper PR2 is just as good except for wet grip.

Boomer said:
Michelin PR3's.
Yes, more expensive, but best grip, best wet grip, and best life unless ya fit car tyres.  :rotflmao:
I have never understood why people will spend $1000s on a motorcycle and then cheap out on tyres and brake pads.
If you never ride in the rain then the cheaper PR2 is just as good except for wet grip.
++ on PR3's.  B rating. Have about 4k on mine so far. Just rode the BC through serious rain and serious tilt 2 up and good to go. Forgive Boomer. He hasn't recognized the colonies yet. Here they're called tIres. :beerchug:

Best tires seem to be in the eye (feel) of the owner.  I switched from the brutal Stones on my 2011 at 6,300 miles and put on a set of Conti Road Attack 2s.  No, they aren't cheap but I had read alot of good reviews and after doing some investigating decided to go with them.  Might be the best decision I ever made in tires  :).  I had Metzlers, Dunlops and Avons on my ST1300s before the Connie and all were ok.  None of them can hold a candle to the Contis.  I just turned 9,000 miles on them and they easily have another 1500 miles left on them.  Only reason I'm changing them this coming week is that I am leaving on a 3 week ride to the left coast to go to the MotoGP races in July.  These are the BEST wet and dry tire I have ever ridden on and IMHO worth every penny I spent on them.  By doing some shopping I was able to get a set for $335.  Makes finacial sense to me if I get this kind of mileage and feedback.  Plus, if I put on a set that costs half as much but only goets 50 - 60% of the mileage I/m getting I don't see that it really costs me anymore.  Just my opinion.