• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tires

Any tires that's not bald... :p I've been using the wing sized bias tires (ME880, Pilot GT) recently and I like them, but I think I'll try the Avons next. I didn't like the look of the Avon Azaro front tire, but now they have the Storm, so I think I'll give them a try. Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

I like stick, it makes me feel safer. It cost me though in low mileage. I like Avon and even the Dunlop 220 205? combo. I am not sure of the numbers today for some reason. Dunlops you have to hit the twisties hard though or the tires get points and then it howls in the corners. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Round and black. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 Team Oregon MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I run the Avons on my Connie. They are great tires. The Storm will fit the front but not the back so I still run the Azaro on the back.

Timely question for me - thanks! I'm new to my '06 Concours and find the stock Dunlop rear tire extremely loud - tire howl. Are these tires you all are recommending quieter than stock as well?

Neil asked: "Timely question for me - thanks! I'm new to my '06 Concours and find the stock Dunlop rear tire extremely loud - tire howl. Are these tires you all are recommending quieter than stock as well?" I don't recall any noise from my Avons, but I listen to music as I ride. Later, Charlie

De dun laps all seem to make the howles when you where down the middle by either slabbing it or using to low a pressure. They are nice an quiet if you keep the pressure up and do as much twisties as slabin. I have them on now due to not being able to get avons in time for a trip. The were howling nice and loud till I road with an SO, hot day, through twistie on chip road that is like cut glass. That took them points right off them tyres. Avons I know are quited. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

My favorite combo for the classic connie USED to be the Michelin Macadam 100X rear and the Pilot Road front in early model sizing. The Pilot Road would howl a bit when heeled over (even new), but it wasn't really that bad. I have probably run more Avon Azaros than any other combination and found them to be good and sticky in the dry and pretty decent wet (not nearly as good as the Micheins in wet stuff). However, they are ALMOST the only tire I have experienced pronounced headshake with and required repeated adjustment to the steering bearings. If the adjustment was off AT ALL, they shook dangerously on decel. I am told the new Storm front is improved some in that regard but have no personal experience with it. Currently, since I now have a 17" front wheel, I am running the Michelin Pilot Power in the 120/70ZR-17 size and an Avon Azaro rear in the 150/80ZR-16 stock size. Now that the front is severly worn and cupped, the handling is pretty poor requiring excessive pressure to hold a line though the tire still sticks like gorilla snot. The rear still acts like the typical sticky Avon. I am wanting very much to have the 17" rear mod done in order to try out a full set of the PR2 Michelins. I'm thinking I would like them very much. I hope to get to find out one of these days. :)

What feedback do you have on bias-ply tires? I am looking at a deal on bias 150/80VR16 rear and 110/80VR18 front(original size on 80's Concours)

I used ME33/99s on my '88 Connie. Hated them compared to the ME Z1/Z2 and Z4s that replaced them. Metzeler has now replaced the whole ME 33/55/99 series with the new Lasertecs (Connie sizes available). However, when I was pricing tires for my Ninja 250, the Lasertecs were just as expensive as a premium radial. Other sport touring bias plies include the Bridgestone BT45 and Pirelli Sport Demons, however these don't last any better than premium radials. There are some touring / cruiser tires that COGgers use, such as the ME880 out there also, but typically they are too wide for the early front wheel, only available in a 120 or 130. Have a look through the Metzeler / Michelin / Pirelli / Bridgestone / Maxxiss / Cheng Shin and so on websites for other choices, but I personally don't see how they are going to give any better a traction / mileage trade-off than radials. For example, Kenda have their ('Kruz' (scroll down) tires in Connie sizes, but I have no clue how well they work or if they'll put your life at risk.

Rev: I tried the Pilot Power on my ZX12R: nice tire in the dry, not at all confidence inspiring on cold / wet / greasy roads compared to the Azaro at the back. The PR2s get really good press, especially for longevity. Another (much cheaper) tire that I'm really impressed with are the Dunlop Roadsmarts, where the front fits the Connie and IMHO will prove an excellent choice, much better than the Pilot Road. I'm not at all a Dunflop fan, but these have proven to be great in the wet and dry on my VFR. They also get excellent press reviews and topped a recent Bike (UK) comparison test, where they beat out everything except the Pirelli Stradas, which were a joint first, based on lap times and general feel and handling. They reckoned they should beat out the Pirellis over time with better mileage, but didn't have any of the tires on long enough to do a mileage test. They were introduced after the comparison test that Michelin quotes on their websites (as were the new Metzeler Z6 Interacts and a few others), so be interesting to see a full 'to the end' comparison. So far the Roadsmarts have been impressing me, beating out my beloved Avons on the VFR by a fair margin for the overall handling / stability / traction / wet weather traction mix.

Thanks for that info Tony. Yeah, I agree, teh Pilot Power gives up a LOT in the wet. Not confidence inspiring at all. However, I really am not that confident in the wet with the Avons either. The best wet stick I've ever had, or at least thought I had, was with the Pilot Road front and Mac 100X rear. Braking in wet was not great, but leaning was pretty comfortable wet or dry with that combo. As much as I dislike Dunflops, I may have to check into those tires. I have been hearing too many folks and reviews singing their praises. Makes a feller wish he had that 17" rear already. hehe

I wonder how the Dunlop new compound tire roadsmart? and an Avon rear would do? I bet the front would last through two or three backs and save you money. Might also stick like crazy. I tell you what though I had to put a set of the Dunlop 205 220 whatever combo on last time because I was in a hurry. If you don't ride enough twisties sure the back starts to howl but I have had no problem with the front. Howling in the back is the points of the tread pattern digging in really and they stick good in the back. Howl or not I have only had the front slip once since I had um and that was a rock or tar snake... something cuz it scared things outa me. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.

I wonder how the Dunlop new compound tire roadsmart? and an Avon rear would do? That is what I'm running right now :) but I haven't had the bike out in two weeks due to brithdays and other things but I hope to get it out tomorrow and give it a whirl I hated the 205 rear in the wet, and I can't get my bike sold, so I order the avon rear and I'm going drop the bike 1 1/4 with norms lowering link who's got a kick stand that they don't need ?