• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tis the season... K1 Gixxer 750 rescue

zg

I drove up to Washington tonight and brought back a rescue, she's a 2001 GSXR 750, 19k miles and clean title, got her for an even grand. 

:great: :great:

She need's some love, is not currently running and has some bodywork rash on the left side...  >:D >:D >:D

Looks like a nice find Jay!  Hopefully you can get it fixed up without eating a big hole in your pocket.  I didn't think I'd end up spending much to get the Silverwing project back in shape.....but I was way off on my estimate of what it would cost.  Little stuff adds up!  Why isn't it running.  Is this fuel injected or does it have carbs?

Nice find and gives me an idea.... ( But honey it's a rescue ) NAH nevermind I don't see that working out for me LOL...

Bud said:
Looks like a nice find Jay!  Hopefully you can get it fixed up without eating a big hole in your pocket.  I didn't think I'd end up spending much to get the Silverwing project back in shape.....but I was way off on my estimate of what it would cost.  Little stuff adds up!  Why isn't it running.  Is this fuel injected or does it have carbs?

Any pics of your silverwing?  That was a really cool and rather unique machine.

That 01 gsxr is an amazing find.  I had  a neighbor selling a 1999 model. Not nearly as nice as yours, but he wanted 400.00 for it, and it did run...I still kick my own butt for not buying it.

Bud said:

Thanks Bud! Agreed on the rescue money pit, but I figure at this price I should be able to throw a couple grand into it and have it still be a great buy, but time will tell eh...  :??:

Yes fuel injected, I've been hunting since summer for an older sport bike but new enough to still have fuel injection, I'm just not a fan of carbs anymore.

Just Cliff said:
I see 53 pages of pictures coming soon!  :nananana:  :rotflmao:  :nananana:

Cliff  :beerchug:

rcannon409 said:
That 01 gsxr is an amazing find.  I had  a neighbor selling a 1999 model. Not nearly as nice as yours, but he wanted 400.00 for it, and it did run...I still kick my own butt for not buying it.

Grant said:
Nice find and gives me an idea.... ( But honey it's a rescue ) NAH nevermind I don't see that working out for me LOL...

Thx brutha's!  ;D  :beerchug:

Off and running already... Scored a left side, a tail, and Yosh slipon this morning, all 3 for under $500.  :)

It's like a breath of fresh air, a good ole' motorcycle thread.  :great:

Sad it is not putting a new color on a Connie with 53 pages of pictures. :'(

Gumby said:

She should hopefully be ready for you to rip this month!  :)  :great: :great:  :beerchug:

Bud said:
Any idea why it's not running?

Not sure Bud, but hope to know soon... Nice timing though as I already had an appointment for having my new heated seat wired in on the Viffer this morning at my local shop, I left the Viffer at home and brought the new Gixxer instead, she's on the lift now to get a battery and fluids, I'm hoping she fires right up! The PO wrecked it about an year and a half ago, she's just been sitting since then...

>:D >:D >:D

New battery and fluids and she fired right up!  :1rij:

Shake down ride was good, everything seems to be working as it should, needs fork seals and brake pads, runs great, very strong with no odd noises.  :motonoises: :great: :great:

Got her cleaned up a bit too  :49:

Looks like Santa's got a new sleigh, Merry Christmas COG! :a035:

You chose your project well Jay! :great:  Glad to hear that she fired right up.  I'll never understand why people push something like that to the side and just let it sit.  What's next on the list to get it back up in shape?  Is there a valve check in your future?

Bud said:
You chose your project well Jay! :great:  Glad to hear that she fired right up.  I'll never understand why people push something like that to the side and just let it sit.  What's next on the list to get it back up in shape?  Is there a valve check in your future?

Thx Bud, just dumb luck, trust me I've bought my share of headache money pits, about time the tables turned.  :)

For now just working on getting her cleaned up and services, TBD on what to do after that... :??:

Nice find man, especially with a clean title! :great:

Next thing you'll be doing iis digging out the old Gearnes and track suit.. ;)

LakeTrax said:
Nice find man, especially with a clean title! :great:

Next thing you'll be doing iis digging out the old Gearnes and track suit.. ;)

Thx LT! Yep, she would make an awesome track weapon...  ;D

Got the bodywork mounted up this morning, all mounting tabs/points are in good order so that's a good thing, I had to use some red speed tape on the left side until the replacement panel gets here.

All and all I'm stoked, heading out now for a rip on er!  :motonoises:

$$$$ well spent my friend. Thanks for letting me take it for a rip, I will be smiling in my sleep. :)

Gumby said:
$$$$ well spent my friend. Thanks for letting me take it for a rip, I will be smiling in my sleep. :)

Thx man, anytime!  :)  :singing:

What a freaken hoot, a total blast to ride, I was grinning ear to ear the entire time as well!  ;D  :motonoises:

I now realize how slow and heavy all my other recent bikes have been!  :eek:

Good thing she gets the blood pumping, getting cold these days, gonna have to put some heated grips on as well.

Did you buy a left side yet?
I might have one,, Ill look in the am when i get home from work!

Gixerhp said:
Did you buy a left side yet?
I might have one,, Ill look in the am when i get home from work!

I'm interested, shoot me a pm with pics n price, thx GHP!  :great:

Looks like you lucked out & did well Jay. Congratulations!

Gumby said:

Speaking of connies & new paint. Is your old C14 on the road or in a paint museum somewhere?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just Cliff said:
Looks like you lucked out & did well Jay. Congratulations!

Gumby said:

Speaking of connies & new paint. Is your old C14 on the road or in a paint museum somewhere?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Thx buddy, I feel really good about it!  :)

As for the old ZG, the new owner and I have a mutual friend, I saw him just last week and he mentioned the new owner is considering selling it, so you never now maybe if the price was right I'd buy it back?  :??:

ZG said:
I saw him just last week and he mentioned the new owner is considering selling it, so you never now maybe if the price was right I'd buy it back?  :??:
I sure wish I got a X-mas bonus to spend on building the stable.  :truce:

Gumby said:
ZG said:
I saw him just last week and he mentioned the new owner is considering selling it, so you never now maybe if the price was right I'd buy it back?  :??:
I sure wish I got a X-mas bonus to spend on building the stable.  :truce:

:)) :)) :))

I tried to get you to come over to the dark side...  :)

Making progress with the Gixxer...  >:D

- New fork seals
- Galfer braided lines front n rear
- EBC rotors front n rear
- EBC HH pads front n rear
- Michelin Power 3's front n rear

ZG said:
Making progress with the Gixxer...  >:D

- New fork seals
- Galfer braided lines front n rear
- EBC rotors front n rear
- EBC HH pads front n rear
- Michelin Power 3's front n rear

SWEET!!!

Got the left side and tail mounted, also TechSpec, Yosh, and Puig double bubble.  :great: :great:

ahw you need to change your signature at the end of your posts, as it seems you have broken the code and found bad ass and cheap wraped in one package. :beerchug:

Grant said:
ahw you need to change your signature at the end of your posts, as it seems you have broken the code and found bad a** and cheap wraped in one package. :beerchug:

:)) :)) :))  :goodpost:  ;D

I don't know though, great entry price but we'll see what I decide to do...  >:D

Nice ZG! Gotta love great finds.

At risk of starting an oil-like thread...are inverted forks really that much of a difference? I remember them coming on the scene to a lot of hoopla back in the 90’s(?). Curious what the gurus ‘round here think.

Jimbob, for me, the inverted forks were a step backwards.  Especially offroad. A good set of right side up forks offered very good strength as well as a .......Im not finding the words......maybe a softness, or compliant feel.  Honda was reluctant to use them. You can see some of their early cbr bikes had right side up forks made to look like upside down forks.

The inverted forks, especially the early ones were STRONG and very non compliant. 

It was never really a fair fight because the inverted forks almost always had cartridge style internals.  The cartridge style fork internals were miles ahead of our old damper rod forks.

In ways, I think it was a design they forced to work. They finally figured out how to make strong and compliant at the same time. People loved the look. A bike with normal forks suddenly looked 25 years old.

Maybe on something as heavy as our c14, one might argue for the added stiffness. But on something smaller and lighter, like my ninja 1000, I think a normal fork (if it existed) might be an upgrade.

Of course, its not really possible. They have all but given up on the older design.  Ohlins had a set that looked very nice, but I think they were 5 grand...

Gotta love the simplicity of the older bikes, feels great having a bike again that I can swap out my own bodywork without cringing about breaking tabs etc and dealing with 30+ pieces like the current bikes.

Scored a new to me upper fairing off ebay and swapped it out last night, that takes care of all the damage from the PO, dare I say she is done...  :great: :great:

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you all the best in 2018!  :49:

Before and after, not bad for 3 weeks time, very happy with the rescue, I think I've decided to keep it.  :)

Hadn't rode the Gixxer since last year...  ;D

So had to get out for a little rip, beautiful PNW day, chilly but dry, heated grips are working great! Also had Sargent build a seat for it so had to test it out, much better!  :great: :great:

so which one gets more miles- the viffer or the gixxer? As soon as I saw the rehab on the gixxer, I thought there might be a viffer for sale soon......

Wow looks new at least in pictures... Nice very nice! :)

Diz said:
so which one gets more miles- the viffer or the gixxer? As soon as I saw the rehab on the gixxer, I thought there might be a viffer for sale soon......

TBD DZ... I really like them both, of the 3 current bikes the KTM is being ridden the least, but I still love it as well, hopefully I can keep them all, options are great!  :great: :great:

Once the new Wing arrives I may have to rethink though...  :??:

Grant said:
Wow looks new at least in pictures... Nice very nice! :)

Thx Grant!  :great:

Bud said:
Nice work Jay!  So what's the total cost of this project?

Thx Bud!  :great:

I've put a little over 4 into the Gixxer so far, maybe another grand still to come in smaller things over the next couple months, at that point I'll be all into her for about 6 grand. The joy this rescue has brought me has been awesome, it's an old itch that needed scratched and I'm glad I pulled the trigger, so mentally therapeutic being able to do my own stuff again and trust me I'm no wrencher, seems all the newer bikes of recent I always had to pay for labor which sucked. The good thing about this bike is being fuel injected she can sit comfy on a tender and when the mood strikes me I can fire her up and go for a rip!

:motonoises: :)

ZG said:
Gotta love the simplicity of the older bikes, feels great having a bike again that I can swap out my own bodywork without cringing about breaking tabs etc and dealing with 30+ pieces like the current bikes.

Scored a new to me upper fairing off ebay and swapped it out last night, that takes care of all the damage from the PO, dare I say she is done...  :great: :great:

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you all the best in 2018!  :49:

Seriously Jay, you can use wrench's all by yourself?  :nananana: :rotflmao: :nananana:

Looking good buddy, nice job!

Last time he said he was going to move the recycling bin; a motorcycle service shop appeared. We all drooled...

Did you like the risers on the viffer ZG? Looks like the Gixxer would be more aggressive

Just Cliff said:
Seriously Jay, you can use wrench's all by yourself?  :nananana: :rotflmao: :nananana:

Looking good buddy, nice job!

;D Thx Cliff!  :beerchug:

Gscott said:
You need to convert some of the house to more garage space!!! :beerchug:

Diz said:
Last time he said he was going to move the recycling bin; a motorcycle service shop appeared. We all drooled...

Did you like the risers on the viffer ZG? Looks like the Gixxer would be more aggressive

:)) :)) :))  Indeed in need for more garage space...  :truce:

Yep the Gixxer ergo's are not as comfy as the Viffer DZ but I like it like that.  :great:

Been having fun sourcing some goodies for the Gixxer, new to me K1 1K 6-pot calipers and K1 1k Titanium header n mid pipe with carbon fiber Yosh can, Hotbodies undertail...

You're turning cheap and bad ass into expensive and more bad ass in short order! :))

ZG said:
Grant said:
You're turning cheap and bad a** into expensive and more bad a** in short order! :))

:truce:  ;D

That's just the way he rolls. Just wait till the new wing arrives.

Nothing short about Jay but his height!  :nananana:

Diz said:
Very nice ZG Glad you were able to snag the "Gixxer" plate  :great:

Thx DZ, there's a great story about that but I'll save that for another day.  :great:

Just Cliff said:
ZG said:
Grant said:
You're turning cheap and bad a** into expensive and more bad a** in short order! :))

That's just the way he rolls. Just wait till the new wing arrives.

Nothing short about Jay but his height!  :nananana:

Looks like HMR #5 will be another epic event, have fun brother!  :beerchug:

Rain finally stopped today, been a soaker in the PNW...  :(

Was able to get the Gixxer out for a rip, the rescue is coming along nicely.  :great:

Been scoring some good deals here and there on paintable bodywork the last couple months, full graphics kits that I ordered back in December just arrived, I ordered an extra set just in case some pieces don't play nice...  ;D

https://moto-sticker.com/

Nice I like it, I also like the fact that you're motorcycle addiction is worse than my diesel truck addiction and it makes me feel better about myself :nananana:  :rotflmao:  :)

Grant said:
Nice I like it, I also like the fact that you're motorcycle addiction is worse than my diesel truck addiction and it makes me feel better about myself :nananana:  :rotflmao:  :)

Thx GT, it's a fun addiction, keeps me outa trouble.  :)

Rainy PNW day today, garage day with the crew and a coat a wax on the Gixxer...

Over the past couple months I've been able to piece together an entire NOS set of the blu/wht K1 bodywork, the last piece arrived today...

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Mmmmm.... More NOS arrived, gotta get it while I can before it's all gone.  ;)  :)

Replacement's, spares, or are you going to build another bike??? :(

Grant said:
Replacement's, spares, or are you going to build another bike??? :(

I was going to have a set painted, these popped up for sale so I grabbed em. It's good to have options for future, especially the unicorn parts before they're all gone...

NOS oem old sportbike bodywork is a form of currency on many planets.  :72:

Thanks guys, it's a really fun build finding all the little oem NOS bits online here and there.

I picked up another set of wheels and had them powder coated white to run with the blu/wht bodywork, she's starting to look like a new bike, freakin time warp all dressed in oem, I even got the reflectors!  :eek: ::)  ;D

She looks great! The white wheels really does make it look brand new from a throw back era.  :great:

Holy $#%*, I just took this thing for a rip and it took 13 years off my life, I felt like I was 23 again.  :D

Thanks for bringin'r by my friend. :beerchug:

Gumby said:
Holy $#%*, I just took this thing for a rip and it took 13 years off my life, I felt like I was 23 again.  :D

Thanks for bringin'r by my friend. :beerchug:

I am sure you felt younger but I have got to call BS I don't believe your math skills are that poor :nananana:
BTW I was totally overwhelmed at the Bun Cooler and meant to thank you in person for the issues of the Concourier you sent me. Thank you.
And ZG AN ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT RESTORATION!!!! SWEEEEET!!!

Grant said:
I have got to call BS I don't believe your math skills are that poor :nananana:
BTW I was totally overwhelmed at the Bun Cooler and meant to thank you in person for the issues of the Concourier you sent me. Thank you.
Yep, bad math... BUSTED

And your welcome,  :great:

Lol, math was never Gumby's strong suit...  ;D 

Glad you enjoyed the rip brother, as always, my bike = yer bike, anytime!  :) :beerchug:

Thanks Grant and GK!  :beerchug:

ZG said:
Mmmmm.... More NOS arrived, gotta get it while I can before it's all gone.  ;)  :)

The last of the NOS bodywork arrived for the red/silver/black set... I even scored an 03 upper to mixnmatch and run the silver upper and tail with the black # plates.  ;D :great:

Fresh arrival from Japan delivered to me yesterday... mmmmm NOS tank  :)  :hitit:

Thanks guys.  :beerchug:

Yep, I do keep my eye out for picking up another if the price was right, have enough parts now to build a couple...

>:D  :)

I sure like what you have done with this bike :motonoises: In looking for custom ideas for my C-14 every time I find something I really like I find you have already been there done that like the summer sport screen I just ordered  :great: maybe I should just bring you my bike and a budget and say surprise me  :))

Grant said:
I sure like what you have done with this bike :motonoises: In looking for custom ideas for my C-14 every time I find something I really like I find you have already been there done that like the summer sport screen I just ordered  :great: maybe I should just bring you my bike and a budget and say surprise me  :))

Thx Grant!  :beerchug:

Indeed, I had lots of fun building my old ZG, tons of great aftermarket goodies for that bike available, if you ever need help just let me know, happy to help spend your $  ;D

Some more updates on the restoration, I opted to go with NOS 750 calipers along with the NOS rotors front n rear, also NOS rear sprocket n chain. Replaced ever single nut n bolt for all including NOS axles front n rear, even the oem NOS clip on the axle nut, good times, fun build!  ;D

All I can say is wow, better than new! I’d hardly have any doubts buying a bike from you ZG, you really know how to take care of your toys! Even tho you picked her up cheap, how much money do you think you have into it VS. what it could realistically sell for....not that you don’t have a track record of flipping your projects  :-X

NYbiomed said:
All I can say is wow, better than new! I’d hardly have any doubts buying a bike from you ZG, you really know how to take care of your toys! Even tho you picked her up cheap, how much money do you think you have into it VS. what it could realistically sell for....not that you don’t have a track record of flipping your projects  :-X

Thx NYB, I've knowingly passed the point of return on this build (at least at this point in time), once I decided to keep it is when the oem level restoration started, it's a ton of fun and very rewarding finding the hard to get parts. This has been a plan of mine for a couple years, it just took that long for the right candidate to come along. I've taken many bikes from stock to not, it's fun taking something older from not to stock. The older I get I really want to start keeping bikes, an older Gixxer 750 but new enough to be fuel injected scratches that itch without getting too crazy on $, I'm looking forward to many happy years of ownership riding it and maybe doing some future shows, at some point it will either be garage art or passed down to a grandson. Good times, spend it while you can on the things you love to spend on, at some point if no more to spend you get to still enjoy the toys. You can't take it with you!  ;D

Just short of amazing Jay, looks showroom new. If it turns into garage art just send it this way. I have just the garage for it!