• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Toasted Front Tire

I always replace them as a set. Yes maybe I could save money buy only replacing them when they are worn out. But I prefer the best handling and safety I can get when it comes to tires. Two things you never cheap out on is your tires and brakes.  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
I always replace them as a set. Yes maybe I could save money buy only replacing them when they are worn out. But I prefer the best handling and safety I can get when it comes to tires. Two things you never cheap out on is your tires and brakes.  ;)

same here, always replace as a set.

Cap'n Bob said:

+1000000

Tundra Tom said:
Here's a side by side photo of Michelin Pilot Road 3's, new vs. 10,000 miles. Quite a difference in profiles.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa266/tundratom/ToastFrontTire.jpg

I cringe every time I hear someone say "I just replaced the rear tire" because the front "still had tread left on it"
While the handling was starting to go away over 1000 miles ago they really held up and yes the rear had no tread in the center. ;D

Those nubbys are gone now  ;D

I'm planning to put P3's on my ride as soon as the stocks wear out. I really don't think the stocks are that bad. All the same I'm looking forward to stepping up to the best rain tires on the market.

John

ToastFrontTire.jpg

Those nubbys are gone now  ;D
[/quote]

Indeed Jeff, 550 miles. Thanks again for putting together the ride and the Brewery Tour !

MidlifeCrisis said:
Yikes!  I would've got rid of that tire long before it got to that stage.
[/quote

They really did not handle that bad. The bare center on the rear was a concern if I got caught in the rain. Mainly rode for work near the end. Amazing tires......
One thing that really surprised me was how much more "cushioned" the ride is with that much more rubber on the tires.

Sounds like the exact status of my PR3's after about 10,000 miles.  I have a pair of new ones on the way.  With two long, back to back trips coming up in August I need new rubber! 

itnetpro said:
I'm planning to put P3's on my ride as soon as the stocks wear out. I really don't think the stocks are that bad. All the same I'm looking forward to stepping up to the best rain tires on the market.

John

I really don't think the stocks are that bad

:rotflmao: John are you ever going to be in for a surprise.

anthony - Sacramento said:
i had my BT016 down to a total slick before i changed mine you look like you mite have 400 miles left

Running tires down to zero is an incredibly dangerous idea, in my opinion. You're basically creating situations in which simple turns can test the limits of traction, especially in subideal road conditions. In addition, a run-down tire will go from poor traction to no traction without much warning. The risk-benefit ratio of running a tire to zero is heavily skewed in that the risk far outweighs the few extra miles and the amount of money saved.

I crashed a zx14 and the next day new rubber arrived at my door. An emergency stop situation and a tank slapper later i had dislocated shoulder and some nice RRash. Buy new rubber before you really need it and get the front too.

TimR said:
itnetpro said:

John

I really don't think the stocks are that bad

:rotflmao: John are you ever going to be in for a surprise.

Ok so what am I missing here? I tested these tires in new rain after days of dry heat in corners for almost an hour. Took these tires up to 120 MPH. Spent most of my time riding where there are lots of twist and turns in the road often two up and the stocks have never failed me. Everyone keeps saying these tires suck yet they have done nothing to break my confidence to date. The only surface I have not experienced yet with these tires is ice or snow but I'm not stupid enough to even venture out when there is even a hint of that laying around.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong only trying to understand why so many of you keep saying they suck?

Do I just not ride as aggressive as you guys or do you guys think they suck because some reviewer somewhere gave them a bad write up while pushing his bike to the limit?

John

- haha John.

- since this bike is new , i really haven't any chance to "know any better" , other than the stock tyres on her.

- so far , okay. But its been mainly highway mileage.

dog said:
- that and worn tyres puncture far more easily ...

Agreed and have had a flat from merely hitting a rock.  :-[
Though I WILL run tires past the "wear bars" for a while.

There are always gonna be guys that will push the limits, not because they don't realize it's risky, but well... just because.  May be it's the thrill of doing something you're not supposed to.  I can understand that to some degree.  Afterall, just riding big powerful motorcycles alone is verboden to a lot of folks.

For me, I'm blessed just be on 2 wheels, despite concerns from friends and family.  I don't need to push my luck on risks that a $250 would mitigate.

+1 its one thing to run a tire down on a car or truck....most of the time you pull over and change it . On the bike....YOU COULD DIE !