• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TomTom Rider 550

Daboo

So this question is no longer theoretical for me.  I'm highly considering buying a TomTom Rider 550 to replace my Garmin Zumo 595LM.  One question remains unanswered.

Question:  Can you play music through the TomTom Rider 550?  If so, how?

Yesterday, I was at Fred Meyer buying food for the Food Bank.  I loaded everything on the bike, and was on my way home when I noticed the bracket for my Garmin Zumo 595LM ...was empty.  I went back and looked over the route twice.  I didn't see it, or pieces of it. 

So my search begins.

I thought of buying a Kyocera smartphone and using that, but I like the ability to create a route with more than going from Point A to B.  And even using TomTom's GO app, you can't import routes.  So while that is an inexpensive alternative, I'm not going to head that direction.

I like the Zumo XT.  But at $500, I'd rather not.  I do like the idea of the bright screen and the 5 inch screen.  But Garmin wastes a third of their screens with the info on the right side, leaving you with the equivalent of a 3.5 inch GPS screen.

The Garmin 396 and TomTom Rider 550 are in between.  The Garmin suffers from the same poor layout of the screen though.  TomTom does a better job, IMHO of giving you the info you need.

So before I buy the TomTom, I'm interested in how you can listen to tunes on those long boring stretches of superslab?  Or can you?

Also...I should ask if you have any other thoughts on which GPS to buy? 

Thanks.

I don't care which way it happens.  I'm pretty adaptable.

The Garmin offered two ways to do it.  One was to load them directly on the 595LM.  The other way was to control them from the 595LM, but have the source files on the smartphone.  I opted to play them from the 595LM directly.  It seemed like the music was broken up when it was picking up the source files off the phone.  I'm guessing it was a problem of slow processor speed in the GPS.

Chris

My Garmin has an SD card slot . I put all my music on a card and play it through the Garmin with earbuds . I would assume most high end units have that capability .

From the 550 website:

COMPATIBLE WITH SIRI AND GOOGLE NOW™

Unlock the full use of your smartphone via voice for onboard music access, calling, messaging, and more.

I use the Spotify app on GalaxyNote  paired to my Tom Tom Rider.  I have the prior model. 

HEY... if you are gonna replace your Zumo, please shoot me a note, and a price, and if you have all the documentation to allow all the upgrade software.. I'm still running a 2610, and it works, it cost my wife $700 "when new", now it's worth about $3.50..
I wanted a Zumo, when they came out.. still would like one.. soooo.. p/m, and good luck on your choices.

You didn't read the whole post. There is no Zumo. It done flew away!

gsun said:
You didn't read the whole post. There is no Zumo. It done flew away!
I think he saw that I was replacing the 595LM and fainted.  When he woke up, he didn't read further.  I just hope his heart is okay.  Next, he'll be singin' the Blues.  ;)

Regarding Siri and Google Now...I won't use them.  I'll buy another GPS if that's the only option.  Years ago, people used to consider Microsoft as the "Evil Empire".  Well, they might be, but Amazon and Google are even more so.

Chris

One suggestion before you buy a new dedicated gps. 

I use an app called Scenic on my iPhone.  Allows me to build routes easily, or I can let it navigate for me.  It will also import or export gpx files.  I’ve come to really like it. 

I built and road a 3200 mile trip in it and it performed flawlessly. 

I also will import gpx files when going on club rides.  Sometimes I have to clean up the route a bit (add or delete waypoints), but it does very well with this too. 

I normally build routes on my iPad.  They are then saved in the cloud and when I open the app on my phone they are there. 

Don’t think it’s available for Android users yet.

I presently have a Garmin Zumo 665LM which interfaces with a J&M CB2003. The Zumo has ZM radio. With this set up I can tie the gps and the radio together and have both intercom and headsets to hear the XM and the Zumo in the helmet. Only problem is that the display on the Zumo is almost useless in the sunlight and difficult to see the directions. I'd give anything to be able to replace the Zumo with something more usable but still have the XM interfaced with the headsets. The Zumo is discontinued so I can't replace it. Anyone know of a unit that will meet my needs?

Fork

I don't do a lot of long rides but when I do the WAZE App on my Android phone works great and it's FREE