• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Top Case Install

smupreacher

Good morning everyone. I am looking for some guidance on how to install a top case on my 2002 C10. I have inherited a Aldo Model 982 top case and it has a huge mounting plate. I am not sure how this would work with the small mounting plate on the back of the bike? Any suggestions on mounting the case? Or should I look elsewhere for extra luggage solutions?

Remove the stock mounting plate and then fabricate an adapter to your case.
Here is a recent post where someone fabricated a mounting bracket for another case:

2 cents worth: A top case mounts behind the rear axle and up high on the bike. The actions of aerodynamics and gravity on the top case will tend to unweight the front wheel some, and that's the last thing I wanted. I decided with a tank bag, stock paniers and stuff on the rear seat, that was enough luggage for me.

I've had a top case for years. I've had it full of groceries and a 40# bag of dog food on the rear seat. No handling problems.

I used 2 pieces of 1" sq tubing, drilled holes to match the mounting holes for the luggage rack that I removed, then bolted it all down.

I concur with the others abiut loading up a trunk, theres no way in hell, ur gonna be able to put enough mass in that trunk to unweight the front wheel, especially when your on it...lol. even parked you cant cause it to even tip over...

I had a givi case so i had mounted the givi plate to the stock rack.... never had an issue...

If you can find a factory rack and backrest that works great . They show up on ebay now and then .

Attachments

• 20201220_172831_HDR_(1).jpg
    20201220_172831_HDR_(1).jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 235
I used a 3/4 or so thick piece of plastic mounted to the 4 holes in the stock luggage rack under the rear fairing piece. I made spacers in between the plastic and the OEM luggage rack mounting holes to add height to the rear of the top case to make the case in line with the bike's lines.
Here is a link to the cutting board discussion,

I have the discontinued 54 liter Givi top case. The only issue I have is the play; it's not rigidly mounted and a good amount of the mass hangs unsupported due to the small size of the mounting pad. With the large case full of the lightest possessions we travel with the 11 pound Kawasaki maximum weight is exceeded by a factor of 4 or 5. There is a 2" "spring" for the top case (that's the range of motion the mounting allows) - it's always been a concern but with 20,000 miles of use over paved but often rough roads it's never fallen off nor have any stress cracks developed.
Loaded the top case does not noticeably affect handling.