• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Torn between a used 09 and a new 11 Concours

peelandwin

Bicycle
Hello all,

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a bike we can ride together on longer rides and trips.  We have looked at and ridden the FJR, Sprint GT, and an 09 Concours.  The Concours is the bike we want.

The Concours that we rode is an 09 ABS with less than 11k miles and several nice upgrades.  It has an AreaP exhaust, Power Commander, flies out, an aftermarket seat (not sure which one and its not really a 2up seat), windscreen, and other items.  It seems well taken care of, like the PO really loved the bike.  I can get this bike 9400 otd.

I was really interested in the 2010/11 Concours for the heat management, traction control, and the other nice improvements.  I was not able to test ride a new one, the nearest place with a demo is about an hour away.  The local dealer wants 15,400 otd for the new one.

With a 6,000 dollar price difference the 09 is pretty darn attractive.  I did test ride and in the 30 minutes I was on it the heat wasn't too bad but I have read enough complaints about it that I still worry about on long rides in triple digits, it is summer in Texas.  The heat is not a deal breaker though.  I also would like to have the traction control,linked ABS, and the fuel saving mode.  Also, no warrant on the 09 or extended warranty available.

During my test ride the throttle was very on/off at low speed, is this a symptom of the flies being removed?  It may just be me not being used to an inline 4.

The biggest issue I have is the mirrors do not work for me at all on the 09.  I can only see large vehicles like trucks and under deceleration I can't see anything at all!  I have searched the site for solutions but not with satisfactory results. 

What are owners of the 08 and 09s doing about the mirrors?
I think the 09 for 9400 otd is a fair price, is it?
The 11 for 15400 otd seemed like it was too high, is it? what have y'all paid for yours?
Has anyone had favorable/unfavorable experience with the traction control?  This a feature that really attracts me.
Is the 2011 smoother in low rpms at low speed?
Are there other features of the 2011 that I may be unaware of?

I will own this bike for a long time so I definitely want to get one that my wife and I will be happy with.

It a decision that you have to make (of course). The 2011 traction control and improved mirrors are a plus. But a $6,000 plus? Removing the flies will give you a very abrupt throttle heavily magnifying the on/off feel of the C14 throttle.
You can make additions to the mirrors to help visibility. Adding mirror bubbles or the Goldwing additional mirrors help. You could also install the mirror lifts if you can stomach the look of the bike after you install them! The mirrors are fine compared to other bikes. But not as good as they could be. This again is a choice you have to make between the two bikes.
The price of the 2011 might seem high out the door. But in reality it is about at list price, with free tax and all (if that's OTD). Then you mention fuel savings. My 08 would run close to (sometimes more, most the time less) 200 miles before the reserve warning takes over the dash on me. Yes the 2011 should get better fuel mileage if using the economy mode (each time you start the bike). But $6,000 buys a lot of fuel at the difference in cost of a couple of extra mpg!
Good luck on this choice. I don't think either is a bad choice. Just which one will you make?

Thanks for the reply Cap'n Bob.

The mirror lifts are a look I don't care for the mirrors as they are on the bike I rode absolutely do not work for me with the bags on.  A quick Google search found these:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/240_mirror_accessories/32586_gl1800_gl1500_blind_spot_mirror_mini_air/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F240_goldwing_Mirror_Accessories%2Fdes%2F

Has anyone used these and found them satisfactory?

You are right about the 6K price difference, and figured at least another 1-2K in upgrades I wouldn't have to make.  Another feature of the used bike is that it has LSL (?) bars on it that I much prefer to the stockers.  They aren't dialed in for me but I believe they could be.

The fuel economy mode I don't expect to be a real money saver but I have never had a bike with more than a 200 mile range and it would be nice to just keep riding sometimes, Texas is a BIG place with some LONG roads :)

Hey Peel...

I am a little biased because I just bought an 09 C14 last month.  The first thing you do notice that could be called a negative is the heat issue.  It is there, but it isnt as bad as many say.  there are some decent remedies to this that you could pick up for less than 50 bux to solve this.  I havnt tried them, but i plan to before the summer months are up.  Then i am going to remove them to take advantage of the heating off of the engine as the temps get colder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0b838290QQitemZ270776107664QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i do not have abs or tc, but it doesnt hurt the bike much.  abs might be a nice thing to have once the colder months come along.  you WILL love either model i think, its just about how much those 'extras' mean to you...i have always been taught, take that extra savings and invest in going to a riding school to learn to ABS with your right hand, TC with your right hand, and you'll never miss the electronics.

as far as the 6000 difference in price...both bikes are about 90% similar.  the newer versions have those nice electronics, but with 6000 extra in your pocket, you could upgrade any 09 into the neighborhood of the 10/11s i think: seat, windscreen, engine upgrades, ect.

With regard to the on off issue with the throttle;if the throttle cable isn't adjusted properly, it accentuates the issue. I pulled my flies and installed a G2 Throttle Tamer and it has solved the problem. Big difference.

Jeff

First, note that the guy who says heat isn't as bad as some say is in the NORTH East.  ;)  Probably not the month after month after month of 100 degree days that we get in a lot of the South Central.  I haven't ridden an 8 or 9 so I don't know what they're like.  But in Dallas TX commuting every day all last summer and now, the heat on my 10 isn't an issue.

The traction control has kept me from going down once for ABSOLUTE certain that I know of, and maybe one other time.  That alone is worth the extra *I* paid for my '10 when faced with the same situation.  My difference between 09 and 10 wasn't $6K tho.  That IS a big bill.  But it was close to 3, and I KNOW that the crash would have been expensive.  Sure I have insurance.... so I'd pay my deductible and my insurance would have gone up in likelihood.

Gotta make the decision.  I'll never regret my choice.  Either way, you're getting an AWESOME bike!

@nxtdoor - that is an interesting device.  I have never heard of it but I sure do like a nice smooth throttle.

@Necron99 - I have been checking the internet looking for a 2010 that is somewhere in the middle of the 09 and 11 in price.  Not too many used ones but I found more than a few new ones for considerably less than the 2011.  I will be traveling in just a few weeks (driving) and so the miles range of bikes that I can seriously consider is pretty good right now.

I just got off the phone with a guy a few hours from here with a 2010 w/ 10,000 miles on it.  It has a few extras but unfortunately not ones that really matter to me.  He does also have the parts to return it to stock, which it already is for the most part.  Basically, what he is asking is just a few hundred less the best price I found on the internet for a new one.  With the taxes and such his asking price puts it squarely between the two local bikes in price.... so enough that I may drive up and see it with intentions on buying if he will drop his price just a bit. 

Otherwise the available new 2010s may just be the ticket and there are several in the areas I will be traveling through.  I could always let my wife drive the van while I ride a new scooter home  8)

Necron99 said:
First, note that the guy who says heat isn't as bad as some say is in the NORTH East.  ;)  Probably not the month after month after month of 100 degree days that we get in a lot of the South Central.  I haven't ridden an 8 or 9 so I don't know what they're like.  But in Dallas TX commuting every day all last summer and now, the heat on my 10 isn't an issue.

'09 in Atlanta commute to work every day on the bike.  No heat issue other than the 100+ degree days and 90%+ humidity.  I am not saying SOME bikes may have their factory heat blockers mis-aligned or missing altogether.  The only heat I feel is under the tank when I get in stop and go traffic.  There is a fix for that too, but mine is not bad enough to actually take the time to remove the tank and put the heat reflective material there.

I would take the '09 for the price (the AreaP and PC-V is over $2k addition).

This 2011 is listed on the "other" forum:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2137.0

I have absolutely no connection, if I had the cash, I'd be tempted to buy it and sell my non-ABS '08.

I dunno, that 11 bike has been terribly modified to replace the final drive with a differential...  :rotflmao:  Seriously that's a terrific deal!

Never pay list/asking price. I was initially quoted 15,100.00 plus prep, tags and tax. In the end I got my 2011 for $13,080.00 plus tax only. That cuts you 6k difference in half.

Necron99 said:
I dunno, that 11 bike has been terribly modified to replace the final drive with a differential...  :rotflmao:  Seriously that's a terrific deal!

I do not understand the "differential" statement.  Cars have differentials because two wheels are driven and they can rotate at different speeds so you are not dragging one when you go around a corner.  Maybe I am missing a joke. 

This is the first I have seen that somehow the final drive was modified. 

The ad for the Concours said that the "differential fluid" had been changed.  Since the Concours has a final drive, and NOT a differential, I was just making a joke that the bike must have been heavily modified to replace the final drive with a differential.  It's a little esoteric, I admit.  But that's why I put the  :rotflmao: and the "seriously" statement at the end.

Sorry for the missinterpretation.  I just bought a 2011 C14 ABS to replace my 2000 C10.  I liked the changes they made in 2010, and would have liked to find a 2010 close to save a few bucks, but would have had to travel 150 miles to find a dealer with a 2010.  I was ready to do it, but then the local dealer offered me what I had into my 2000 and I jumped on it.

Very happy with the 2011.  No regrets whatsoever.  1500 miles on it so far, so I have gotten it through the break-in and been able to feel the power up to 8500 rpm.  Torque is very strong and even, supposedly in part from the variable valve timing.  Low end torque is great for highway driving, but it is a whole different bike from 5500 to 8500.  Corners like it is on rails as well.  I've also tried out the ABS and traction control, on purpose.  The results were impressive, and I feel that if I need it, it may save my _ss some day.

This one's a keeper, and I have a couple of old Goldwings and a Suzuki sport bike as well.  I'm 57, and plan on riding it until I can't hold it up any more. 

I have had my 09 for about 13 months and paid $11000 new.  I live in the northeast and ride it 12 months of the year.  I've put 11,000 miles on it, including two trips to the midwest.    The heat from the engine has never bothered me.  For road trips I always wear leather chaps and boots.  The heat problem would likely be  a major consideration for someone wearing shorts or sandals.  And tt may be worse in a warmer climate.  But for me, it's kind of nice to have a little engine heat on those chilly winter mornings. 

I am 6'1 and don't have any complaint about the mirrors.  It would be nice if they were bigger, but they have not been a problem for me.  A head turn before changing lanes is always recommended.

I also ride 12 months a year, of course it is pretty easy to do down here.  I rode about 200 miles today on my Buell, the temperature started in the 90s and hit triple digits while I was out and about.  No bike is going to be cool but I have ridden bikes that there is no way I would want to spend significant time on in the summer heat.  I do wear gear when I ride but excessive heat is very fatiguing nonetheless. 

My short ride on the 09 Concours was not overly warm at all.  Heck, I didn't even notice the heat...I noticed how much get up and go that bike has!  Really though, I don't expect to get a perfect understanding of how a bike is going to fit me on a test ride.  It wasn't so warm that I wouldn't want it, if I can get a 2010/11 at a price I am happy with I will and if not I will go with the 09.

The mirrors definitely a problem for me, but thankfully there are solutions.  I am 6' so we are similar in height but being unable to see vehicles coming up on my rear is something I cannot live with.  If I grab an 08/09 that will me my first mod.  I absolutely agree with you on the head turn.

If you are a COSTCO member they have gone NATIONWIDE on their program. Mine was $13,801 plus CA Tax and registration. And got a $250 COSTCO card.

Thanks for the tip Phil.  Local dealer quoted me $13,296 plus TT&L made it $14,208.06 otd.  I was just about to get it until I got an email on a mostly stock 2010 w/ABS with 10,500 miles for $11,000.  That seemed like enough of a price difference to me to make it worth going for the used bike. 

If all goes well I'll be riding a blue Connie home sometime in the next few days.

"If all goes well I'll be riding a blue Connie home sometime in the next few days."

I really enjoy my '08....I'm a fair weather rider, and up here, that isn't very often....but I have managed to get almost 13k on the odo.

ABS has saved me once (turn arrow marker painted on road was wet [water - not paint!])

My bike is soooo dang stock, I just drool at the mod's that others' have....the short list includes a seat, AreaP, windshield.

Let's see some pictures ASAP!!!

Congratulations.

I agree not sure the extra cost justifies the differences.  I have an '09 with 22K on it and love it and it does get hot here as well and I can live with the heat. 

But the main reason I plan on keeping my '09 is that I don't need all the electronics.  Murphy's Law = electronics. 

I am also happy with keeping my flash to pass as I have it opening my garage door and though traction control might be nice, I do not want intergrated brakes which comes with it.  Otherwise to me they all look and handle the same out of the box.

Econcomy mode, come on, I ride pretty agressive at times and manage to keep in the low 40's all the time gas mileage wise and still get on it a couple of times a day on the freeways (hell most mornings shooting off the on ramp at up to 120 mph).

Since I ride and split lanes I rarely ride with the saddle bags on so the mirrors are no problem with me.  When I do need to carry something I throw on the Givi case, up high and out of the way and holds two helmets to boot.

"But the main reason I plan on keeping my '09 is that I don't need all the electronics.  Murphy's Law = electronics"

Are you kidding? Have you looked at all the electronics under the skin of the 09? Yes the 2010-11 has a little more. But really not much more!

The cost of the newer bikes is much higher than the 09, it was a tough decision. 

I have a Buell that is a my "hooligan" bike.  It won't fly through the triple digits but it does destroy corners and pick up the front wheel with ease.

The Connie is a bike for my wife and I to ride and travel on and the traction control and linked ABS brakes are really features I want on a bike my wife will be spending time on. 

The transaction on the 2010 is supposed to happen today.  If it does I'll be posting some pics up later  8)

Good luck, no bad move there. Price and color convinced me on my leftover '09. It was a smoking deal and the red is a gorgeous color. The heat is not an issue for me down here in Florida and the mirrors work fine.

peelandwin said:
The cost of the newer bikes is much higher than the 09, it was a tough decision. 

I have a Buell that is a my "hooligan" bike.  It won't fly through the triple digits but it does destroy corners and pick up the front wheel with ease.

The Connie is a bike for my wife and I to ride and travel on and the traction control and linked ABS brakes are really features I want on a bike my wife will be spending time on. 

The transaction on the 2010 is supposed to happen today.  If it does I'll be posting some pics up later  8)

Got it!  2010 w/ ABS.  Not the easiest transaction but it all worked out ;D

Attachments

• right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 89