• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

I haven't, but here's some info and a video about it.  They are the folks, btw, that now have the contract to teach motorcycle courses for California.

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net

Here in Idaho, the advanced riders course must be fairly similar, I would guess, and people say it's very intense.  Closest thing to a police motorcycle course you can get.  Learning REAL tight turns, lock to lock, for example.  People say, don't take the course with your saddlebags on.

My son and I took the class in San Diego a couple of years ago. i learned some and reinforced some of what I new. My son who is young and flexible and already.a fantastic street and dirt rider gained a lot of knowledge for his track days. Lee Parks is very knowledgable and is eager to teach in a fun and interesting manner.

I'm signed up to take the June 14 level 1 ARC class in Sacramento. I've been meaning to take an advanced rider course for years but have been procrastinating. Now, I'm gonna do it.

Dan

Done both Level 1 and Level 2. I took it here in the PNW from local place who is Lee Parks certified instructor. For Level 2 one of only a handful in the US. Any case it was not from Lee Parks directly, but a very good instructor who teaches Total Control, MSF, and this own Level 1-4 Advanced Street Skills program, beginner Dirt Bike and Adventure Bike courses.

Anyways both classes were overall good and I would do them over. In the nitty gritty details I like the braking and low speed stuff from the Police Motor Officer course better. And while the Police courses did far more than just ride around in cones, I like the Cornering techniques from TC-ARC. Lots of good stuff in cornering details. Well worth it.

This was all parking lot course. The parking lot is not as forgiving as the street as in everything happens in compact space and quicker. So the technique has to be more accurate. Easy for an instructor to watch and point out little details to improve your timing. If you can get the timing down in the parking lot, you can get the timing down out on the road. For level 1, not much problem applying to the street. For level 2, when I go out and ride and try stuff I find a few questions arise about specific situations. While a good class and I would do it over, for me some parts were easy to integrate and some parts I still have questions on.

Best is that these guys are similar in some main concepts and I can integrate the Police class, TC-ARC and the Adv. Street Skills courses all together.