• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tour B.C. May 26th Route #2

cogdave

As promised, here’s route #2.
At 621 km/372 miles, it is actually the shortest of the three routes. Along with some other interesting side tracks, it crosses the Monashee Pass on Hwy. 6 . This route also includes two ferry crossings and spectacular mountain scenery through Three Valley Gap. Run time is approx. nine and a half hours but again that depends on lunch breaks and ferry connections.
Contrary to the website events schedule, we will be planning for a roll out at 8:00 rather than 9:00 as posted originally.
Route #2 would start the same as route #1 with the cut off at Pritchard up Duck Range Rd. to 97. This time, instead of turning right towards TC1 and Kamloops, we turn left towards Vernon. At the south end of Vernon, take Hwy. 6 east to Coldstream, Cherryville, Lumby and eventually Needles. This is the Monashee Pass. It’s about a two hour run so you may want to check your fuel in Lumby. There is a short section in the middle which I have dubbed “The B.C. Dragon” and I suspect that this is a large part of why Destination Highways rated this section of Hwy #6 as the second best motorcycle road in B.C..
When we reach Needles, there is a 10 minute cable ferry crossing to Fauquier (not much more than a restaurant and gas station). This is probably a good lunch stop before we head north up hwy. 6 to Nakusp then 23 to a second ferry crossing at Galena Bay, approx. a 30 minute crossing. From there we will continue north to Revelstoke to reconnect with TC1 heading back west towards Salmon Arm, passing through Three Valley Gap, Craigellachie (site of the last spike in the CP Railway driven in 1885), on through Sicamous, the self proclaimed Houseboat Capital of the World and finally Salmon Arm.
From Salmon Arm, we will leave the road more travelled for a romp down Silver Creek Rd. which reconnects to Hwy. 97 north of Vernon. A right turn here will bring us back to Falkland and a final scoot over the Chase-Falkland Rd. with it’s 6 km. of good gravel should have us back in Chase in good time. For those uncomfortable with the short stretch of gravel (it really is an easy stretch), following 97 back out to TC1 will have you back in Chase within 10 minutes of the gravel warriors.
I will be posting a third route option in the next few days. If you can join us on one of these routes, please register on the event schedule or give me a call (or both). Unless you wish to avail yourself of the luxurious accommodations afforded you by a couple of “cheap n’ clean” Chase motels, you will need to come equipped with a sleeping mat and bedroll. If you need a private room, pack your portable house too. We have no shortage of tent space but indoor space is pretty much booked up since my last post. We can accommodate everyone somehow, so call me and let me know what you need.
Base camp address is 709 Hysop Rd.
E-mail is cogdave@telus.net
Phone is (250) 679-4414
Cheryl and I look forward to seeing you on the 25th and welcome any comments or feedback on this route.
Dave Owen
B.C. AAD
Chase, B.C.

That looks like a great ride. I hope you have something as good when I come up for the ride at the end of June.

I'll take you on that one in June. I'm thinking of three different tracks, each one offers up it's own brand of good times. Jury is still out on which one I'll do this month. I haven't even posted the third one yet. We may decide on the route the night before over beer. That's always a good way to make decisions LOL. In this case, there are no bad choices..... AND ..... with those choices, there's nothing that says everyone needs to run the same track. These are just suggestions<g>.

We'll (you n' me) do 6 in June.
Good luck with the Cooler.
D.