• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Towing insurance packages

Fred H.

I've recently started looking at various towing insurance packages, and would just like to open a discussion on them and see what other folks are using.

My insurance company offers me a towing package for about $35 a year, but it only covers the first 35 miles or so. I see that Good Sam has a pretty nice package for about $109 a year that looks interesting, though it seems a bit pricey.

http://www.goodsamers.com/benefits/compare.cfm

I also looked at AAA package, but it seems to cost even more and the coverage is not as good. So far, it looks to me like the Good Sam RV package is about the best one out there. Anyone else have good or bad experience with other companies?

I have roadside assistance included with my Progressive policy! Now I'll have to check on its coverages and get back to you on it. Hopefully today!

Bob I also have Progressive and always wondered what they would really do.  Several years with them and still not had to make one call for assistance.  I still love to know what you find out because mine is up for renewal.

PS:  Club gets a couple $ back from Dairyland if you get a quote from them.  Link is on the home page.

AMA offers a towing service as part of a premium membership. I wonder if they post benefits/limitations on their web site?

AAA coverage can vary state to state, and from what I understand here in CT they do not cover motorcycles/RVs.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I have Progressive Ins, and they offer roadside assistance fro a slight premium up charge. Never had to use it, but here is the policy....

PART V - ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT - ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE COVERAGE

If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will pay for our authorized service representative to provide the following services when necessary due to a covered emergency:
1. towing of a covered disabled motorcycle to the nearest qualified repair facility; and
2. labor on a covered disabled motorcycle at the place of disablement.
If a covered disabled motorcycle is towed to any place other than the nearest qualified repair facility, you will be responsible for any additional charges incurred.

INSURING AGREEMENT - TRIP INTERRUPTION COVERAGE
If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will reimburse interruption expenses as described below when a covered motorcycle is disabled due to mechanical break21
down or a covered comprehensive or collision loss, even if you have not paid a premium for Comprehensive Coverage or Collision Coverage under this policy.
For this coverage to apply, the disablement must occur more than 100 miles from the insured’s primary residence.
When a covered motorcycle is disabled, interruption expenses consist of the following:
1. up to $100 per day for lodging;
2. up to $50 per day for meals; and
3. up to $50 per day for alternate transportation.
Coverage is limited to $500 per disablement. Payment of Trip Interruption benefits will not obligate us to make any payment under any other coverage in this policy.

ADDITIONAL DEFINITIONS
When used in this Part V:
1. “Covered disabled motorcycle” means a covered motorcycle for which this coverage has been purchased that sustains a covered emergency.
2. “Covered emergency” means a disablement within 100 feet of a road or highway that is a result of:
a. mechanical or electrical breakdown;
b. battery failure;
c. insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water, or other fluid;
d. flat tire;
e. lock-out; or
f. entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand.

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN EXCLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS PART V.
Coverage under this Part V will not apply to:
1. the cost of purchasing parts, fluid, lubricants, fuel or replacement keys, or the labor to make replacement keys;
2. installation of products or materials not related to the disablement;
3. labor not related to the disablement;
4. labor on a covered disabled motorcycle for any time period in excess of 60 minutes per disablement;
5. towing or storage related to impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law;
6. towing from a service station, garage, or repair shop;
7. labor or repair work performed at a service station, garage, or repair shop;
8. vehicle storage charges;
9. a second service call or tow for a single disablement;
10. disablement that occurs on roads not regularly maintained, sand beaches, open fields, or areas designated as not passable due to construction, weather, or earth movement;
11. tire repair;
12. repeated service calls for a covered disabled motorcycle in need of routine maintenance or repair; or
13. disablement that results from an intentional or willful act or action by you, a relative, or the operator of a covered disabled motorcycle.

UNAUTHORIZED SERVICE PROVIDER
When service is rendered by a provider in the business of providing roadside assistance and towing services, other than one of our authorized service representatives, we will pay only reasonable charges, as determined by us, for:
1. towing of a covered disabled motorcycle to the nearest qualified repair facility; and
2. labor on a covered disabled motorcycle at the place of disablement;
which is necessary due to a covered emergency.

OTHER INSURANCE
Any coverage provided under this Part V for service rendered by an unauthorized service provider will be excess over any other collectible insurance or towing protection coverage.

SSmith_3184 said:
AMA offers a towing service as part of a premium membership. I wonder if they post benefits/limitations on their web site?

AAA coverage can vary state to state, and from what I understand here in CT they do not cover motorcycles/RVs.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?

AAA does cover bikes in CT but you need to buy the plus with RV package to get the bike coverage. It runs me about $220.00 per year for 3 drivers. It covers bike towing for up to 100 miles included. The state sets the tow rates and right now its $88.00 to park the  tow truck in front of your vehicle ( hook up) and $4.75 a mile after the first 2. Just one tow call about covers the price for the year, you get up to 4 tows and road service, ie jump start,gas flat tire.

AS I have 2motorcycles, a motorhome and 2 cars the Good Sam covers all of them AND any thing else I might beg ,borrow or steal. I had a tow on my motorhome of 225 miles in Texas to get the motorhome repaired and they paid it all. I also have the Progressive Insurance package. A TIP when you call for service ask if you can pay the tow co. when the tow is done, you can get faster service as some tow company's will not respond to some insurance calls due to long waits for payment. You might have to wait for payment your self but it gets you off the road much faster

If you have an RV, cars, motorcycles and all that and want to cover them, I have heard CoachNet is the better one. I used to use the one from Camping World, but switched to the CoachNet one after doing some checking into various companies. My biggest thing was if I was out with the truck and towing the TT, I wanted an outfit that was going to cover both.  -- Like many and not like AAA, they cover everything you own, not anything you happen to be sitting in. So your buddy is not covered just because you are there. But it does cover everything you own and your spouse for one fee. Tows to nearest repair facility regardless of mileage or dollar amount.

https://www.coach-net.com/Companies.aspx

Good Sam will tow your truck then tow your TT too.  I pay about 125.00 for their coverage another coverage they have is emergency evacuation coverage, you get hurt, they get you home, take care of your ride and get your passenger home If you travel Mexico or our neighbors to the north it covers you there too. AND covers emergency air too.  you have to be 100 miles from home for this to kick in. Check this out as it can save you a bundle. and I think the plan is about 125.00 too. Any one I have met in my travels think Good Sam is a good outfit.

I belong to GWRRA and with that membership you get Rescue , which covers your bike, I added my wife as an associate member and upgraded to Rescue Plus, total cost is $80.00 a year and that includes my GWRRA membership which includes the Wing world Magazine and me and my wife are covered in any vehicle and any motorcycle and trailer.

•Rescue Towing and Emergency Roadside Assistance – As a paid Member of GWRRA, you receive FREE 24- hour/7-days-a-week towing up to 35 miles per disablement and roadside assistance for your motorcycle or any motorcycle you are riding, including as a passenger. If you have a Family membership, your registered household family members are covered too.

•Rescue Plus – An optional upgrade that, for the special price of $25 per year, includes all the benefits of Rescue Towing and Roadside Assistance, PLUS covers the towing of any non-commercial vehicle (under one ton, including cars, trucks, and motorcycle trailers) AND increases covered towing from 35 to 100 miles (per disablement). (With the purchase of a GWRRA Family membership, the Rescue Plus upgrade applies to all registered household family members.) Visit www.towbusters.com