• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS and new tires

radar52

Big Wheel
Well had my local shop who has done my tires since I had my 09 and unfortunately this time it was not good. While removing the rear tire he nicked the TPMS sensor and it was history. He ordered another for overnight delivery and installed the new tire, unfortunately he put it in backward, flat in rotation direction which was discovered after the dealership spent 4 hours trying to register the new sensor. The next day I took it back to the shop who installed the tire and he rotated the sensor. TPMS still not showing pressure on display. A new sensor is now on order, I only hope this fixes it, as I am due to leave for a trip down the Blue Ridge to SC on Thursday this week. The parted that jacked my jaw, was the dealership service manager telling me "this is what you get for letting someone work on the bike who is not a dealer"  (forgot to remind him that mechanic was there head mechanic before he left to start his own shop)

Anyone having any idea why it would not register, other than a bad sensor?

The sensor has probably set on the shelf too long in storage and the lithium battery inside of it has built up a passivation layer in it. If you could wake up the sensor enough to cause it to draw some current off the battery, it would probably break down the passivation layer and start working. Another trick would be to open up the sensor and short the battery out with a 1K ohm resistor, to force it to pass some current. Once current passes through the battery, the passivation layer is broken, and the battery voltage returns to normal.

Long story short, the sensor has a bad battery in it.

Thanks Fred, that is what I thought, but the mechanic wanted to order another sensor and just replace it. I only hope it does not have the same problem, but somehow I think it will.

I notice when I start the bike and the screen is on the tire pressure screen it does not register for about a half mile then the tire pressure is displayed, not sure why it does that.

jkenny said:
I notice when I start the bike and the screen is on the tire pressure screen it does not register for about a half mile then the tire pressure is displayed, not sure why it does that.

It's designed that way.

Page 32 of owners manual.

First part is that the wheel sending unit is turned off. It is turned on by centripetal force and takes some minimum speed for that to happen. The second reason is that the display data is not real- time but updated at time intervals, which seem to be around 30 seconds. So what happens is when you start to ride you have to hit that minimum speed to turn on the pressure sender and then the bike's TX unit will read the data at the next reading cycle. That next cycle could be 1/2 second behind when the sensor turns on or it might be the full 30 seconds. That it why the system takes a few moments to 'wake up' and why sometimes it is faster than other times.

Brian

jkenny said:

Egodriver71 said:
jkenny said:

It's designed that way.

Page 32 of onwers manual.

+1

radar52 said:
Well had my local shop who has done my tires since I had my 09 and unfortunately this time it was not good. While removing the rear tire he nicked the TPMS sensor and it was history. He ordered another for overnight delivery and installed the new tire, unfortunately he put it in backward,

Anyone having any idea why it would not register, other than a bad sensor?

I predicted that this would hapen when I bought my concours14 new. Change my own tires. Bought a thrifty beadbreaker $50 bucks from Princess Auto which is the Canadian version of Harbour Freight.
I simply cut the tire off , which is the tough part anyway, staying clear of the sensor.
I also took Fred's advice and bought some spare batteries for stock . Cheap insurance. Thank's Fred
Your experience with the dealer wasted alot of your time.
TIME IS LIFE  cancer survivor

BDF said:
First part is that the wheel sending unit is turned off. It is turned on by centripetal force and takes some minimum speed for that to happen. The second reason is that the display data is not real- time but updated at time intervals, which seem to be around 30 seconds. So what happens is when you start to ride you have to hit that minimum speed to turn on the pressure sender and then the bike's TX unit will read the data at the next reading cycle. That next cycle could be 1/2 second behind when the sensor turns on or it might be the full 30 seconds. That it why the system takes a few moments to 'wake up' and why sometimes it is faster than other times.

Brian

jkenny said:
Ill tell ya there is no end to the knowledge on this forum, Priceless!!  Thanks for letting me know how it works.

Sensor replaced again and that was the fix, not sure if it was a bad sensor or just surface barrier that Fred suggested but I would bet it just had set on shelf too long.