• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

TPMS issue. Maybe.

Weg3111

Training Wheels
I bought my 09 about 2 months ago. 2 times now (not on consecutive rides) I have gotten the front tire tpms battery low warning upon starting up the bike. In short order the pressure starts to read and no problem with it after that. Has this happened to anyone else? Supposedly its a 5 year battery and I figure mine must be 1.5 to 2 years old by now so should have lots of life left in them.

same thing with  my 09  seems to do it after standing for  a few weeks  and when  the weather gets cold    cog 9178

I have a C10 so no experience but I have read about it frequently and seem that typically a battery is at fault. They usually have the problem till the tire warms up a bit. Seems most have replaced them at warranty by the dealer and a few wait till tire change to do it then. The consensus is those batteries need to be replaceable! Good luck and more knowledgeable Coniacs with experience should bring some better insight to the question in short order.  :D

The TPS sensors are prone to not working in colder weather. Yes they normally go  back to work when they warm up. But they tend to get worse as time goes on. Then they will be doing it in warmer and warmer temperatures. A lot of us have had them replaced under warranty. The down side is that a lot of the replacements might have been part of the original bad sensor batch, and may also become a problem in short order. But you never know!

Weg3111 said:
I bought my 09 about 2 months ago. 2 times now (not on consecutive rides) I have gotten the front tire tpms battery low warning upon starting up the bike. In short order the pressure starts to read and no problem with it after that. Has this happened to anyone else? Supposedly its a 5 year battery and I figure mine must be 1.5 to 2 years old by now so should have lots of life left in them.

Next time you see the warning on your dash, take a picture, show it to the service manager at your dealership.  This is a known problem and Kawasaki is good about replacing the sensors.  I'm waiting until I get new tires to have mine replaced, they have to take the tires off to replace the sensors, so I get free mount and balance on the new ones.

My TPMS reading doesn't seem to match my manual tire gauges. I bought one of these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/77/4344/ITEM/Accugage-Accugage-With-Hose.aspx and the TPMS reading seems to be about 3 psi lower than the accu gauge. The accu gauge agrees with the tire pressure gauge I got with my CalSci windshield. Don't ask me why they sent me a tire pressure gauge with the windshield. A freebie I guess.

So, my 3 month old C14's TPS system is acting up a bit, front pressure not registering at all, and the rear battery low warning is taking over the LCD screen.  Only 5000 miles on the bike, no desire to go back to dealer until 7500 service.  The question I have, is there a way to disable the TPS low battery warning? 

After a few miles riding, warning comes on and stays on for an hour or so, nicely locking up the display with the warning.  I have tire pressure gauge, don't care if the battery is low - just want the warning to disappear.  I did not find a solution in owners manual, shop manual or searching forum.  Live in Las Vegas and cold weather is not an issue for the sensors.  Most rides right now are mid 70's to mid 90's - doing the pre-dawn desert runs during summer.

If anyone has the magic solution, kindly pass it along.

Thanks - Gary

Gary wait until you need to replace the tires and let them replace replace the TPMS then. My dealer did not charge me labor, said Kaw payed him $80 labor so why would I charge you to install the tires.

Kawcon14- excellent logic, thanks, I'll do that..  Perhaps the excuse I need to turn off KTRC.....

Now if I can just kill the darn warning on the LCD.  I remember when I had an original GTI in 83 with the upshift arrow light for better mileage.  Piece of electrical tape covered it nicely, irritating light solved.  Can't do that on the 14.

Try this : Press and hold the top button, press and release the bottom button, release the top button.

Then you should just have the red warning light stay on.

C1x- Danke, I'll try it tomorrow.  Interestingly, the red light is not on.  Only saw that once, a few days ago, for a quick FI message, in ecco mode.  Must be my week for error codes.  I will say, that at 4:45 am on a dark desert road, the red light really jumped out for about a second or so.  Thoughts of testing the 24 hour roadside assistance service flashed through my head for the next couple seconds.

Gary

C1xRider said:
Try this : Press and hold the top button, press and release the bottom button, release the top button.

Then you should just have the red warning light stay on.

That did the trick, thanks again!

The lithium batteries in the sensors are susceptible to developing a "resistance" layer in them internally that will break down once they are used, and as the temp increases. Sometimes just riding the bike for several days in a row will cause the sensors to start operating again, as the battery gets "exercised" and breaks down the layer.

But if the problem persists, you may have to get the sensor replaced. If it's under warranty, you should get it done before it runs out. If it isn't under warranty, you can get just the battery replaced. I believe Murphs Kits was offering a battery replacement service. I've also done a couple myself. They aren't too terrible hard to replace, if you know what you're doing. I have found though that the batteries are highly susceptible to being damaged from heat when soldering new ones in, so you do have to take some care not to overheat the new battery when you replace it.

Thanks, Fred.  Plenty of warranty time left, so I'll do that route when the tires need to be replaced as well.  Be interesting to see if a few more days riding exercises the batteries enough to fix themselves.  The bike had set for a week when the problem popped up.