• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tracking rear shock settings

Fred H.

Having a fully adjustable rear shock can be a great thing, but it can also be real easy to loose track of what adjustment you have where. So I decided to make a little graph in my left saddlebag with some velcro next to it so I can track where all my settings currently are, and I also made some charts showing my preload measurements for my own reference. I still need to make sag measurements with the bike fully packed for a trip, and make a third sag chart. I got my sag readings using the tool I posted about on here a couple weeks ago.

I have three little letters attached to velcro that I can move around on my scale. P represents how many turns I have my Preload adjuster set to, C represents where I have my Compression Damping adjuster set to, and R is for my Rebound Damping adjuster.

Next, I need to do the same thing for the front Traxxion fork settings.

Anyway, for those of you out there with an Ohlins or other fully adjustable rear shock, or front forks, you might want to consider doing something like this. While trying to dial in a suspension, it's really easy to loose track of settings, and this will help you keep your place and always know where everything is set at.

large.jpg

Cool Idea, but I'm not really that anal. 

The rear spring Traxxion put on my Penske is great for me and good with a pillion.  Since I slow down a lot when I'm not riding alone, my solo settings are just great.  You forgot to show the High speed damping setting!  ;D 

I track the settings closely when doing the setup, but after the initial setup, what matters is the level of control.  If it's too bouncy, add a click.  After a few minor tweaks, I just leave it alone. 

Colt45 said:
Cool Idea, but I'm not really that anal. 

The rear spring Traxxion put on my Penske is great for me and good with a pillion.  Since I slow down a lot when I'm not riding alone, my solo settings are just great.  You forgot to show the High speed damping setting!  ;D 

I track the settings closely when doing the setup, but after the initial setup, what matters is the level of control.  If it's too bouncy, add a click.  After a few minor tweaks, I just leave it alone.

My shock doesn't have high speed damping adjustments. It just makes the job of dialing the shock in a bit easier for me. I've been spending a lot of time making minor adjustments lately, and a couple of times I lost track of where it was. Once I have it all set up the way I want it, I need to know where it finally ended up. Its also helpful for me 3 months from now when I can't remember where I last set it at. And the more adjustments you have, the worse it gets, so with a fully adjustable front and rear suspension, I now have 7 different dials/knobs I can turn. If you're not careful, it's really easy to get everything way out of whack, and this just helps me keep track of it.

Yesterday I loaded the bike up fully packed for a trip and then took some more sag measurements. I now know exactly how many turns to set the preload to for solo with no bags, solo with empty bags, and solo fully packed for a trip. It took a little work on the front end to get these measurements, but now I don't have to guess where it needs to be for any configuration.

:-\  You have way too much time on your hands Fred.  I keep my setting along with the date on a simple notepad app on my Android phone.

John

Fred,

How much do you weigh again....it may be easier for me to lose or gain weight. :) The pre-req being I need an Ohlins rear and updated front.

Stewart said:
Fred,

How much do you weigh again....it may be easier for me to lose or gain weight. :) The pre-req being I need an Ohlins rear and updated front.

I don't think you'd want to use my sag numbers. I have a custom 137n/mm spring on my Ohlins, so my sag numbers won't apply to anyone else.

Just for grins, here are my latest measurements, including having the bike fully packed for a weeks travel with a 46 Givi Trunk and tank bag. Someone with a 140n/mm spring that weighs around 198 in full riding gear might be able to use them for "ballpark" settings.

Attachments

• OhlinsSag.JPG
    OhlinsSag.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 124
Lol, I need to loose at least 30+lbs assumming gear is 10+. I'm no shrinking violet, but if I did that the Dr would be concerned.

Thanks for sharing Fred. I'm seriously thinking about the suspenders upgrade....but too many other priorities. Maybe I'll convince myself one day.

- some of you guys may need to give your stock rear shock preload adjustment knob a twirl to see whether it can actually move anymore. Mine failed (seized solid) at 3 months from new.

dog said:
- some of you guys may need to give your stock rear shock preload adjustment knob a twirl to see whether it can actually move anymore. Mine failed (seized solid) at 3 months from new.

Spray some good quality lube under the head of the knob.