• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trailer and traler hitch

Suzzz

I've wanted a motorcycle trailer for a long time and recently I've been ''just looking''. 

How does it feel to haul a trailer with the C14?  Is it bouncy?  How does it affect gas mileage?  Anyone here have experience with a one wheel trailer?  Any thoughts on trailer hitches?

I'm new to towing and the C14, but I purchased a used 2012 in November last year and a used Roadman at the same time. Its a camping 2 wheel trailer, not a Unigo.

I purchased a Denray hitch (made in Quebec) and it seems well built. I had some issues installing it, only because the instructions are not detailed and they sent the wrong bolts and to few. A call to them and they couriered the right stuff.

I just plated the trailer and have had it out once for a test ride. I tried it at 125 km/hr, no wagging, but it was nearly empty. Cornering was no problem, I just noticed a slight push from the trailer. Didn't even notice it was there most of the ride.

I've added a swivel hitch, and made a lot of changes to the trailer so it works for us.

Sorry, no info on mileage, etc., yet, but we are doing a 3 week trip in Sept and I'm going to do a review when I'm done that. Not much help to you now though.

Having towed my HD turtle trailer with both my old c10 and my current c14. I would offer this suggestion.  Make certain that u load the weight to the front/tongue of the trailer. This will help stabilize the trailer on the hitch.  Otherwise its gonna want to waddle from side to side, forcing you into a mighty scary tank slapper (dont ask, I still have nitemares about that day) i was able to cruise at 80 on the interstate and didnt notice the trailer back there at all.  It will affect the life span of the rear tire, especially on long trips

konehead said:
Having towed my HD turtle trailer with both my old c10 and my current c14. I would offer this suggestion.  Make certain that u load the weight to the front/tongue of the trailer. This will help stabilize the trailer on the hitch.  Otherwise its gonna want to waddle from side to side, forcing you into a mighty scary tank slapper (dont ask, I still have nitemares about that day) i was able to cruise at 80 on the interstate and didnt notice the trailer back there at all.  It will affect the life span of the rear tire, especially on long trips

I found the exact opposite of that, hauling my H/F toter trailer on my C14.
Both without a passenger, and with one; I found it best to "weigh" everything midpoint, over the wheels/axle, and maintain a tongue weight of approx 20#.
In testing it, I did try weight forward, and aft, with an actual "load" of 175#, and resulting tongue weights of #60, and #10 lbs, and found it best right at #20, which never pushed, nor wagged (heavey pushes, light wags)...  I do not have a "rotating" hitch either, a I found them too expensive, to "try", and truthfully never found the ball and socket ever lacking, even leaned over in twisties. The trailer tube and hitch on mine, is perfectly parallel to the ground also, that mean a lot, if its tilted up, it unweights the bike when decell/braking, and if it's downwards, always seems to "push" in corners.. ( mine it perfect, but when I tried some trailers pals had, with larger and smaller tires, I found this to be the effect) I'm thinking of going to a larger diameter tire this year, so when I do that, I will adjust trailer suspension (even the single leaf is jarringly stiff.. may make a "link style using an air shock horizontally" to accommodate), or put a spacer under my ball to maintain a "level" pull tube.
YMMV, I have carried in excess of #250, in there, and never even knew it was back there...
(I also put my fully packed hard bags in that trunk, as they fit nicely,wrapped in some bubble wrap, to prevent rub marks, and reduce the weight on the bike's rear suspension by a really noticeable amount, and afford a clear view of the trailer, and it's tires, while towing.)

I never thought I would EVER want to tow a trailer, now, for a long trip, I can't understand why I waited sooooo long to make the plunge.

I just got this

have only been a few miles with it so far.. don't even feel it back there . very light .

https://kipmoto.com/

Attachments

• C14 with trailer .JPG
    C14 with trailer .JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 165
I pulled a trailer quite a bit, a 2 wheel cargo trailer with several different bikes. A 72 Water Buffalo, 76 Wing, and a c-10 Connie. I did have a Time Out camper that I pulled once, then sold, too heavy for what I pulled it with. I currently have an ugly little trailer that is quite narrow(saddle bag width) that I currently do not use. It has a blag fiberglass "tool box: mounted on a home made frame and a cooler rack. Total weight with spare is about 85lbs.

Mileage and tire wear will depend a lot on the wind. A side wind, especially at an angle into it will accelerate tire wear and put a good hit on mileage.

We used it when the wife rode more and it really helped with the camping gear. MOB has it pretty well nailed for loading and set up. You DO NOT want the tongue angled up to the hitch.

I recently built this single wheel trailer, so my experience is only about 100 miles total with 2 test runs. I really wanted a Unigo but was too cheap to pay the price. I only plan to use it when the wife goes camping with me. That is if it doesn't turn out to be a pile of scrap metal after some actual use. Once the weather gets a little better we'll start making some short camping trips for a better feel of it. I've had it up to 80-90 mph & in some good curves. So far I don't even know it's there, I have to turn around & look to see if it's there.

If I had it to do over again I would make the box a little smaller. Way bigger than needed & bigger than I envisioned. Box is 20"x20"x36" & weighs 82 pounds.

Attachments

• 20190324_164347_resized.jpg
    20190324_164347_resized.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190324_164126_resized.jpg
    20190324_164126_resized.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 127
Weight distribution pretty big deal.  Once had a Bushtec and made panels to slide in/out to keep contents from sliding around and upsetting things.  Stopping and going moves stuff inside or at least it did for me. 

I had tried putting the weight more over the center of the trailers axle, and kept the hitch weight to10-15 pounds.  I couldn't get up to 60 mph without the trailer waddling.  a truck following me, got me on the cb (have the j+m fm/cb/weather pod) and explained what my problem was.  I pulled over and distributed my load to put more weight forward of the axle,and onto the tongue.  worked like a charm and I cruised out to the national in Idaho from Illinois at 80+mph.  lol at one point in the mountains in Wyoming, heading to a KOA in Duboius, I forgot it was there until I saw it in my mirror, while leaned over for a nice big sweeper...... :)

cant beat the frugalness of the HF trailer with a cargo carrier mounted to it.  in fact I got my turtle for free from some guy trying to unload one at a garage sale.  just wanted it gone....  Put on some lead lights and a metal milk crate to hold a mediums sized cooler....all in for $225... ;)

konehead said:
I had tried putting the weight more over the center of the trailers axle, and kept the hitch weight to10-15 pounds.  I couldn't get up to 60 mph without the trailer waddling.  a truck following me, got me on the cb (have the j+m fm/cb/weather pod) and explained what my problem was.  I pulled over and distributed my load to put more weight forward of the axle,and onto the tongue.  worked like a charm and I cruised out to the national in Idaho from Illinois at 80+mph.  lol at one point in the mountains in Wyoming, heading to a KOA in Duboius, I forgot it was there until I saw it in my mirror, while leaned over for a nice big sweeper...... :)

cant beat the frugalness of the HF trailer with a cargo carrier mounted to it.  in fact I got my turtle for free from some guy trying to unload one at a garage sale.  just wanted it gone....  Put on some lead lights and a metal milk crate to hold a mediums sized cooler....all in for $225... ;)

show me your setup, I'll show you mine... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

jokingly,

what hitch are you using????

I'm using my "fixed" Bushtek hitch, on a H/F turtle, and my "tongue" sits pretty much perfectly level with the ground, not tilted up/back or down/forward during pulling.
that may be the difference...  I do know from experience using trailers (single and multi axle) behind my different trucks, that when the tongue is angled upwards at the front, (hitch pivot is too high), that it WILL wander all over, and need much more loading up front to combat it, but sometimes even that won't help, as now the rear of the truck is being loaded down more than it should be, and getting way to close to/or over the "rated" load for the hitch used.

I have to dig my pics off my other computer, I'll post to show how the hitch/trailer/geometry looks on my rig.

found another post where it can be seen, but do note: the bike IS sitting on the center stand, and the trailer is in a "high spot" on the driveway, bike sitting in a low spot also... but when it's on the tires, and pulling, it is horizontal to the ground (the tongue that is..)

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/bushtec-trailer-hitch-and-h-f-trailer-redux/msg283586/#msg283586

This was a few years back with my c10. I had bought the hitch second hand, from a cog member.  I put floppy ball on the hitch plate, and had a standard couple on my hf tongue. 

I've only towed the same trailer once with my c14 last year...hitch on the c14 is a delray?  With a floppy ball..

konehead said:
I've only towed the same trailer once with my c14 last year...hitch on the c14 is a delray?  With a floppy ball..

well, please shoot a pic of the hitch currently (Denray??) from the side view, and post it.
also curious about the "floppy ball" thing...

I've covered probably 15k miles, over 4 seasons, with my rig, so I would like a bit of info posted, or more than a single run on a setup. thanks in advance,
:great: :motonoises:

Mob, sorry for the delay.  We were I. the process of moving and are finally in a reasonably shared away, except the man cave areas( happy wife ,happy life; right)  I see about shooting u the picture of the floppy ball.

Pittsburgh_Clem said:
Steiny said:
I just got this

have only been a few miles with it so far.. don't even feel it back there . very light .

What hitch did you use?  I do not see our bike on the site

The C14 is not on there site , I emailed them ,    No "hitch"  Just a rod that goes through the rear axle and safety pined.

Steiny said:
Pittsburgh_Clem said:
Steiny said:
I just got this

What hitch did you use?  I do not see our bike on the site

The C14 is not on there site , I emailed them ,    No "hitch"  Just a rod that goes through the rear axle and safety pined.

Thank you