• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Transit? Roadcrafter? Kodiak?

HeathCreek

Brothers and Sisters of the Fine Forum,

I am at the point where I am ready to purchase the best riding gear I can find. My budget is around $2000. For context, here is a little background about my style and how I ride:

I have been cruiser guy ever since I got my first bike in 2003. Wife and I had one car then so I was commute to work/school guy basically year-round here in Kansas City (tried not to ride in icy conditions). In the time since, I have traversed the country many times logging hundreds of thousands of miles across the U.S., and I have seen a good portion of Canada, including the Canadian Rockies and Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. My buddies know me as the crazy that will knock out thousands of miles a week and 30+ hour stints with sometimes nothing more than a cat nap...maybe. I am not hotel guy, but I am camp on my trips as much as possible guy. Hotel maybe once a week or as needed for safety from extreme weather or fatigue. To say the least, I am distance/longevity guy who finds it hard to find somebody to travel with me that can keep up with my endurance/stupidity.

I have always cruised sunrise to sunset and beyond with mainly cowboy boots, jeans, t-shirt, and no helmet....if I do put on helmet, its a fake novelty-type. Pretty much, for all these years and hundreds of thousands of miles, zero protection. When the weather gets chilly I have a nice classic black leather motorcycle jacket and chaps that I layer up as needed. For rain, if I have to ride through rain, I have gotten by with sub-par rain gear.

But now, 46-years old, I have found an infatuation with sport touring and the Connie specifically (and I look forward with getting involved with COG!). My Vulcan 1600 Classic has about 103,000 miles on it and I sold my Voyager to my brother last year. I am looking at making Connie my long-term and primary way of touring now. I am planning on riding to Alaska and the Yucatan over the next 2-3 years. I think it is time to smarten up and get some gear that will protect me from the elements and provide convenience and safety. I am grateful that I have not had any accidents all these years and miles (including riding THROUGH a deer), but it has been weighing on my mind that I need not push my luck further. Its a combo of mid-life crisis and realizing I am not indestructible (anymore). I enjoy life so much: riding, fishing, playing in a band with my sons, family vacations, etc., and I don't want my quality of life to be diminished because of some kind of freak accident, stupid cager, animal, or momentary lack in judgement. Of course, there is always an amount of risk we accept any time we climb on two wheels, but is seems me wise to start to minimize that risk more than I have done in the past.

So, after many months of researching, here are the options I am considering. Any wisdom and experience with any of these choices would be MUCH appreciated, as I am willing to drop a significant amount of money on gear that can do it all and if I know it will last me a long time. Here is what I am thinking and in no particular order:

1. Klim Kodiak with Aerostich Darien Pants
2. Transit 3 jacket with Aerostich Darien Pants
3. Roadcrafter or Darien 2-piece suit is not out of the question

What I know for SURE unless you all want to try and convince me otherwise, is that I DON"T want a riding pant, but rather an overpant to wear over my jeans/layers. Mainly because I can't wrap my mind around wearing underwear or base layer under that same pair of riding pants for whatever amount of consecutive days. This is probably due to my inexperience/routine with doing such. However, I am always open-minded and willing to learn. Just because I have done it one way for so long, that doesn't mean there are other ways and maybe even better ways of doing things. But I like the idea of being able to rip the gear off quickly and conveniently when I am off the bike, like I would do with my chaps and leather jacket. I would also like something that will work well both with my Concours and my cruiser.

I am not in a big hurry at the moment, and I can make do with what I have for this winter. I have a very knowledgeable Klim dealer here in Kansas City that gave me a great education on Klim gear. Alas, my heart of hearts tells me to wait until Spring before finalizing my decision so that I can ride up to Duluth to check out Aerostich in person.

Thank you so much! I love everything I have learned and continue to learn about COG! I look forward to meeting many of you some day!

-Heath

Last edited:
After research I decided to go with Aerostich Darien Jacket / Darien Pants. FWIW - that initial purchase lasted a long time. approx 20-25 years. I did replace recently with newer versions, and still using the old gear for MSF classes.

Factors considered....
  • Ease of donning/ditching the gear was unimportant to me
  • Darien has more jacket overlap with pants making the combo better at preventing water ingress at the waist than the 2-piece Roadcrafter, according to an Aerostich staffer
  • Was able to get sized up on the phone, and get a few sizes shipped to try on to find the exact fit
  • Made in the USA, and can send gear back for repairs, if needed.

After research I decided to go with Aerostich Darien Jacket / Darien Pants. FWIW - that initial purchase lasted a long time. approx 20-25 years. I did replace recently with newer versions, and still using the old gear for MSF classes.

Factors considered....
  • Ease of donning/ditching the gear was unimportant to me
  • Darien has more jacket overlap with pants making the combo better at preventing water ingress at the waist than the 2-piece Roadcrafter, according to an Aerostich staffer
  • Was able to get sized up on the phone, and get a few sizes shipped to try on to find the exact fit
  • Made in the USA, and can send gear back for repairs, if needed.
Thank you for responding, Steve. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. Though the Darien jacket may have more overlap, the RC 2-piece is still guaranteed not to leak, right? I like the looks of the RC more than the Darien, and I keep going back and forth between these two and what their functional differences/intentions are.

I like the looks of the RC more than the Darien, and I keep going back and forth between these two and what their functional differences/intentions are.

Good excuse for a roadtrip to Duluth to learn from the source. Better drive these days ... kinda cold (near zero) lately.

Heath, it sounds like you're going from no gear to the best.
Nothing wrong with that, but I'm going to make a suggestion that the real riders out here will scoff at.

I'll start with; Most of the members do not have the best.
In fact, I'd guess that 90+ % of the club have everything except the best you've mentioned.

As you're used to no gear (mainly cowboy boots, jeans, t-shirt) I'm concerned you're going to spend a lot of $$ and not use it.

Also; I'm gonna mention mesh gear as it might suit you better.

Mesh is light enough not to be hot/burdensome, and it can be worn over your shirt and jeans.
NOTE: You can layer up when needed for warmth and carry light rain gear to put on over that if it gets wet.
In all but the coldest conditions, you'll be surprised how warm this can be (behind a Connie Windshield).

Until you know that you want to have the heavier/better gear, consider trying some less expensive/cooler/middle of the road gear.
Try it out, find out what you like or don't like, and then go for the best.

Ride safe, Ted (let the flames begin)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that, but I'm going to make a suggestion that the real riders out here will scoff at.

In fact, I'd guess that 90+ % of the club have everything except the best you've mentioned.

As you're used to no gear (mainly cowboy boots, jeans, t-shirt) I'm concerned you're going to spend a lot of $$ and not use it.

Mesh is light enough not to be hot/burdensome, and it can be worn over your shirt and jeans.
NOTE: You can layer up when needed for warmth and carry light rain gear to put on over that if it gets wet.
In all but the coldest conditions, you'll be surprised how warm this can be (behind a Connie Windshield).

Until you know that you want to have the heavier/better gear, consider trying some less expensive/cooler/middle of the road gear.

šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„

You should look into Motoport gear...17 year in mine, washable, repairable, good for track, street, off road rides and crashes. Have ridden all day in 30 degrees, and wet, and 102 degrees. Versatile, but you also are looking at good options.

Hi Heath, I wear mid-level stuff. Scorpion, 1st Gear, and Olympia. Ted may have a point, but you sound like you've thought this through and are committed to going ATGATT.
I will say I love mesh gear. That's all I wear when temperatures are warm. I do have mesh pants, and I wear them over shorts when it's hot. The Connie does a great job keeping hot air of my legs, (tried it on my C10 and it eas uncomfortable because of the engine heat)

That is what I am thinking of doing. Considering the Klim Induction. Can use my electric liner or hoody under and rain gear overtop.. It seems like the most versatile. Might go a different direction with the OPs budget.

Thanks, Ted. That is a good consideration. The reason why I am going for the throat and looking at the best I can get, is because over the years I have spent lots of money on gear to get me by, not super cheap but the best I could afford at the time, when in the end I always end up going back and buying what I should have got the first time to begin with. I am done with settling and I am willing to save as long as I need in order to get what I really want. My justification for shopping for top tier is inspired by my preparation for the Alaska Trip, and then also the Mexico Trip, maybe even into Guatemala. I don't mind spending top dollar if I know it will do the job and to the job for a long long time.

I have looked at the mesh gear, too, along with a goretex oversuit. That is still in the back of my mind and worth considering, too. Basically, the gear I am looking at is going to replace my old leather motorcycle jacket and chaps and Columbia rain suit. I want to reduce my packing, improve the capability of my gear, and add some protection as well. Even if I don't wear the gear 100% of the time, like in 100 degree Missouri weather for example, when I do wear it, I want it to be the best stuff I can get. And again, my attitude is shifting from nothing to something if not everything as I reflect on my experiences and how might be able to do things better and smarter moving forward. We are all at different points in our progression...right?

You should look into Motoport gear...17 year in mine, washable, repairable, good for track, street, off road rides and crashes. Have ridden all day in 30 degrees, and wet, and 102 degrees. Versatile, but you also are looking at good options.
Thank you, ZXtasy. I have seen Motoport come up in many of my research sessions, but I haven't actually looked at it. Your testimony of 17 years brings some validity the Motoport. What MP gear do you use exactly?

Hi Heath, I wear mid-level stuff. Scorpion, 1st Gear, and Olympia. Ted may have a point, but you sound like you've thought this through and are committed to going ATGATT.
I will say I love mesh gear. That's all I wear when temperatures are warm. I do have mesh pants, and I wear them over shorts when it's hot. The Connie does a great job keeping hot air of my legs, (tried it on my C10 and it eas uncomfortable because of the engine heat)
Hi Jorge! Yes, I have been thinking this through for some time now. Last night I was even sharing my thoughts with my son in how I think it wise to start changing my style. Then we reflected on the cross-country trips I took with each of my sons starting from when they were just NINE YEARS OLD....and NO PROTECTION other than a helmet! I am starting to think oh my goodness! That was so risky!

Another consideration is how distracted people seem to be more than ever....even when I am in my big F-150! AND worth mentioning that just short of having the munchies after following a few cars on the highway, I am more aware of people driving impaired or under recreational substances....if you know what I mean.

Back to your input, I did look at the KLIM Baja S4 mesh suit with the Enduro S4 Gortex oversuit. That would be a very versatile setup for all about the same price when all said and done.

That is what I am thinking of doing. Considering the Klim Induction. Can use my electric liner or hoody under and rain gear overtop.. It seems like the most versatile. Might go a different direction with the OPs budget.
Hi King! Or the Baja S4 option....

Thank you, ZXtasy. I have seen Motoport come up in many of my research sessions, but I haven't actually looked at it. Your testimony of 17 years brings some validity the Motoport. What MP gear do you use exactly?
They have, as they should, updated their model line a little but I use the zip together GP-2 Jacket and Police Overpants. Both came with 2 liners for progressive levels of cold, but they are a bit bulky with all 3 layers. I have ridden all day in the 30's with pants over Under Armor type thermal layer, and the first stage wind/waterproof liner in my jacket. Snug as a bug in a rug on a day that started at 27F, topped out at 38F on a naked bike, 2003 ZRX-1200. Joe Rocket winter weight gloves and an Aerostitch Wind Triangle are also must haves. The other thing I like is that I have 60% body area covered with CE armor, and after a 'get off' in 2003 and the resulting broken bones, I am a big fan.

They have, as they should, updated their model line a little but I use the zip together GP-2 Jacket and Police Overpants. Both came with 2 liners for progressive levels of cold, but they are a bit bulky with all 3 layers. I have ridden all day in the 30's with pants over Under Armor type thermal layer, and the first stage wind/waterproof liner in my jacket. Snug as a bug in a rug on a day that started at 27F, topped out at 38F on a naked bike, 2003 ZRX-1200. Joe Rocket winter weight gloves and an Aerostitch Wind Triangle are also must haves. The other thing I like is that I have 60% body area covered with CE armor, and after a 'get off' in 2003 and the resulting broken bones, I am a big fan.
Thank you for sharing! This is good information!!!

I've been very pleased and comfortable with my Aerostitch Roadcrafter one-piece, under which i wear a pair of Kuhl very thin, breathable Rock pants (look and fit like Levis). I wear a REI wicking long sleeve T shirt. If cold, i add my heated jacket liner.
It's tolerable when hot, if moving. If not, I console myself with thoughts of road rash on 100* pavement.
The only negative is what to do after removing it to go into coffee shop. Bicycle cable lock is an option if worried about theft.
I would consider the two piece option for flexibility - you don't have to completely remove for short breaks.