• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Traxxion AK-20 fork kit

Fred H.

FYI,

Traxxion now has a spring and damper cartridge upgrade kit for the C14 forks. They will select the spring rates based on your weight and riding style, and the right leg is set up for rebound damping and the left for compression. This adds the ability for you to adjust compression damping, which you can't do on the OEM forks. Cost on it is right at $1,000.

You can either remove your forks and ship them off to Traxxion and have them rebuilt, or you can do it yourself. Taking the upside down forks apart is a bit more complicated and you will need a hold down tool to do it. Traxxion also sells a nice service tool kit that has all the things you need to service your own. The hardest part is getting the forks compressed and pulling up on the cap enough to get the locknut loose so you can unscrew the cap. I'd recommend replacing the fork seals at the same time.

The new spring rates and better damping will literally transform the front end and handling. It makes the front end feel firmer, yet at the same time, it is able to better absorb bumps and feels less harsh than the OEM suspension. All in all, it's a very well designed package.

Traxxion Dynamics has donated a $500 gift certificate that will be given away at the 2012 COG National Rally in Arkansas in June. But you gotta be there to win.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/traxxionak20

large.jpg

Fred... Like "new" new??? I've had a pair of the AK-20's for about 2 years now... As a matter of fact, it was your DIY that got me interested and made me do it!  :D The cartridges and a Traxxion built Penske shock transformed my '08.

RayK said:
Fred... Like "new" new??? I've had a pair of the AK-20's for about 2 years now... As a matter of fact, it was your DIY that got me interested and made me do it!  :D The cartridges and a Traxxion built Penske shock transformed my '08.

My bad. I was thinking someone else had previously done this, but couldn't remember who. Traxxion has had the AK-20 cartridges around for a while, so it makes sense they would have been putting them in Concours for a while. I've had a set in all three of my GoldWings and probably have over 200K cumulative miles on them between all three bikes, but this is the first time I've put a set on the Concours.

I've had this kit for over a year and highly recommend. Pricey but well worth it if you can swing it. The 3 way adjustable Penske shock is also recommended.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
RayK said:

My bad. I was thinking someone else had previously done this, but couldn't remember who. Traxxion has had the AK-20 cartridges around for a while, so it makes sense they would have been putting them in Concours for a while. I've had a set in all three of my GoldWings and probably have over 200K cumulative miles on them between all three bikes, but this is the first time I've put a set on the Concours.

No problem Fred... If I hadn't seen your Gold Wing fork upgrade, I would never have gone and done probably done the best upgrade on the C14 ever!