• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Triumph owner looking to jump ship

lomexx

Tricycle
Hi all,

So after dropping my 06 non-ABS ST last week the insurance company decided a few plastic scrapes was worth totaling the bike.  Got a few options (repair, salvage, etc.).  2 additional options happened to plop in my lap today:

Used 06 ST1300 for under 9 grand and under 2K miles (non-ABS linked brakes)
Used 09 C-14 for under 9 grand and under 2K miles (ABS)

The Sprint was a good bike but made my fiance uncomfortable on long rides (safety, comfort, etc) and the brakes were total junk.  Looking to get some opinions on either of the above rides.  All pros and cons welcome.  ABS is now a huge plus for me of course after my accident, and thinking of the safety for my better half.  But a few friends with the ST1300 rave about it for long-term comfort for both rider and passenger.

So does anyone have any opinions on the above.  I know both bikes are extremely capable machines and ultimately I'd be happy on either at the end of the day.  Always looking for insight where mine is lacking.  Thanks in advance!

If all you want to do is tour long distance. It's hard to beat the ST1300. But other than that, the 09 C14 with ABS and only 2,000 miles isn't bad at all. The C14 is a great bike with a lot of good strong points. But like any bike it has some down sides. I personally don't care for the ignition system. So if you get it, familiarize yourself with the KIPASS's workings. Some people have had trouble with them. But most bikes seem to have little to no trouble.
The 08-09 are also known for more heat output on the rider. But the ST1300 is also known for this. And you can get heat blockers to help with that if you find it trouble. I personally didn't find the heat a problem. Another down side is some people feel that the mirrors are too low. But compared to some bikes, there huge! Now the 09 came in a really beautiful red and it also came in black. Black also looks good, but shows everything, like all blacks. It being used, I would try to test ride it to see if it fits you well and if your comfortable with the bike and it's function.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.  I'm torn.  The fellas and I will typically do one week long trip a year (between 3 and 4 thousand miles) which involves all sorts of roads.  The rest of the year my commute to and from work (40 miles each way) is mainly just highway miles.  I'd like the better half to enjoy it more as well.  She sat on a Connie in the store and actually felt it was much better than the Sprint ST for comfort and height (no longer in a launch position waiting to be ejected at Mach 1). 

I know the ST1300 is supposed to be great for the passenger.  How about the Connie? 

Some people are quite happy and others are not. Once again, if you like the bike, maybe take her down and sit her on. One of the complaints for the passenger is the tiny foot pegs. But there are options for lowering and or changing them.
Now don't get me wrong. The C14 is really a great tourer. I've had mine on many long trips. Some of them were about 3,000 miles. So it's do-able. But you may have to make some changes to the bike for your own comfort. But again, most bikes will have this as well.

My first "touring bike" was an 03 ZX-6R 636 with a ventura rack and saddlebags.  All my buddies riding FJR's and I'm doing 500+ miles a day for a week with them....sold her at around 28,000 miles and upgraded to the Sprint which was a night and day experience in regards to "touring".  Figure Connie will be even more comfortable given what my level of pain tolerance is. 

Of course, as I keep upgrading it will make it harder (impossible?!) to go backwards....can't see myself doing the sportbike crouch ever again. 

I came from an '03 trophy  and and love the C14.  The heat on the 08 C14 is MUCH less than the trophy.  I guess it is what you are used to.

I also owned an 06 Sprint that was totaled.  I loved that bike but it was definetly a solo ride most of the time.

I recently purchased a 2010 C14 specifically for my wife and I to ride together.  Compared to the sprint it is far more comfortable for the rider and the passenger.  My wife has been a couple of hundred or so mile rides since we picked it up and she loves it.

I did consider the ST1300 because I love the V4 engine but the Connie is the bike that spoke to me.

I own a '06 Triumph sprint-st as well as '09 c14abs, a '08 versys and a '11 z1000sx.... there is no question that the sprint is a beautiful bike-- great euro lines and a engine and sound that is hard to find any where else.. that said I find that I rarely pick the sprint as my ride... for a fun fast one-up 250-300 mile ride the z1000sx is incredible.. comfortable, nimble, powerful, agile way better than the sprint. The same ride two up there is only one choice-- the c14! no question!!! IMO  Anything longer that 350 in a day.... and anything with long stretches of high way... the c14 is truly heaven... 

09 ABS here and love it, it really is a great all around bike and looks good too IMO!  :great:

I am bias though and have never owned a Triumph, but I truly have zero complaints now with my Connie after changing out a couple things to make it fit me better and make it my own....

Happy hunting!!

Pulled the trigger and bought the Connie.  Came with the stock BT012's and the slow turning takes some getting used to.  Is this mitigated a bit by an upgrade in tires?  The tires barely have any wear.....would be a shame to have to upgrade those so soon.

I ran the 021's on the C14. They were not very good and would not have used them again. Then when I bought the FJR and came with them. I realized how much I hated them. I removed them at 1,400 miles. I only waited that long because I was away on a trip. I couldn't wait to get home as they seemed OK at the start and steadily got worse on the trip. I installed new tires and was very happy again.

Lomexx said:
Pulled the trigger and bought the Connie.  Came with the stock BT012's and the slow turning takes some getting used to.  Is this mitigated a bit by an upgrade in tires?  The tires barely have any wear.....would be a shame to have to upgrade those so soon.

You could try upping the air pressure.  A few days before I removed mine, I 'overinflated' them by several pounds, and was surprised at how much better they felt.

Cap'n Bob said:
I ran the 021's on the C14. They were not very good and would not have used them again. Then when I bought the FJR and came with them. I realized how much I hated them. I removed them at 1,400 miles. I only waited that long because I was away on a trip. I couldn't wait to get home as they seemed OK at the start and steadily got worse on the trip. I installed new tires and was very happy again.

Yep, they stink IMO too...

I used them during the break-in period only (first 600 miles) and replaced them with PR3's, happy with my decision.  :great:

New tires transform the bike. Do a search and read about the results. Read up on using the 190-55-17.

Tough break on the Sprint!  As for "junk brakes", you should have tried stopping my Velocette Thruxton.  In those days my right shoe had a sole hole from standing on the right rudder peddle of the T-6 and the left one was gone from dragging it to stop the beloved Velo.

ABS won't save yer arse.  Many highly experienced riders (of which I am one) have felt ABS let go while heading for the back of the turnip truck.  When I get on my C14 I screw my head on tight and the last thing I tell myself before I let the clutch out is, Watch out for the ABS.  If I stopped my Tuono the way I stop the C14 I'd hit tail light first.

Go back to the scene and rethink what happened.  Blame yourself for everything you did wrong.  It's your only chance to get better at this.  Start with tire pressure and road debris.  You knew your brakes before you got to the scene of the accident.  The real variables we need to deal with and don't will shout, GAME OVER!  If I'm riding down the road and get hit head-on by a blind heart attack crossing the centerline at the same time Mrs. Gluts runs the stop sign and t-bones me from the right... it's MY FAULT.  I got on the motorcycle.  I knew I was in Florida!  Nobody told me to go for a ride through Sunny Acres.  If anyone thinks they can just ride on without being especially talented and alert, take the Buick.

ST1100 is a poor two-upper.  It's a dinosaur.
Put the little lady on the back of a Wing to find out if she wants anything to do with this what so ever.
If you're a motorcyclist, period... don't propose to any member of the opposite sex that wasn't on a motorcycle when you met them, period.

I too am an x '06 Sprint owner (mine had ABS) but for my size( 6'1 2751lbs) I found the Sprint tough on my wrists in such a forward position.. great for a cuppla hunnert mile day trip but a killer on those  2k mile trips..so I sold the Sprint and bought a '10 c14 ABS.. great machine, handles nicely, not as flickable as the ST but then again it weighs more.. but far more comfortable touring platform and still will run hard in the curves. Best of luck.

My wife seems happy with the passenger perch on my '08 C-14.  I do have a Sargent seat and put a passenger backrest on the bike for her.

Figure I'd put out an update after having the Connie for a bit over a week now.  Must admit it was a bit nerve-wracking hopping on the bike to ride into Boston again for work on something so new and much heavier, but it's been an awesome week.  Still getting used to the slow speed stuff (which, if you're familiar with the Mass Pike, means A LOT of that).  And sweet lord trying to move the Connie around in the driveway is rough (you learn real quick where those patches of sand are that your boots like to slip on, and how to avoid them).  Fast Lane pass works GREAT in the glove box on top of the tank....no more having to mount it to a windshield, only to be screwed when I change shields and have to remount it.  No lubing a chain every couple hundred miles = a whole new level of enjoying motorcycle ownership.

My '02 Sprint RS had quite good brakes.

I love my C14, but if the Sprint GT was available when I bought the C14, I think I'd have bought it instead.  Be sure you ride one before you choose.  Best stock seat on any motorcycle.  Lighter and sharper handling than the C14, similar shape to the torque curve.  ABS available. 

I have no regrets of changing to a Connie.  My SO absolutely loves taking rides now, and after tossing a Cee Bailey's screen on it....was doing 90+ on a simple ride down the Mass Pike and thought I was doing 75.  Amazing compared to being on the Sprint....when that was doing 90 you knew it, even if you weren't looking at the dash.  Bike is amazing, and I really enjoy the feeling of having the secondary butterflies open at WOT.  Headed out for a week-long bike trip next week up to VT, down through NY to West Virginia, hit Virgina Beach, them back home.  Should be a good test of the bike.

Congrats on the new bike,    Good that you are taking the long trip, that will help you find the areas you want to tweak for your own comfort...

For me, it was bar risers, a V stream windsheild and a Russel Day-Long saddle....  But everyone is different,  some people are ok with the stock seat others aren't

Either way, you got a great steed there, enjoy her ! :)