• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trying to fix my ZUMO550

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
Well after tens of thousands of miles, baking in the sun, freezing through Midwest winters, and being drug though countless storms, my ZUMO550 purchased in 2006 has lost a button.  This was one of my first farkels and has spent time on multiple bikes through all sorts of conditions, so to be quite honest, I am surprised it lasted as long as it did :great:  Here is what I have got, a hole where water will undoutedly enter the unit, and in the 100 or so miles from the failure point to home, I pushed the hole no less than a dozen times.

Another shot

My initial thoughts are to fill the hole with waterproof silicone and set the old button down into the goo and let it cure
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-908570-2-7-Ounce-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B0002BBX3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423443483&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+silicone+sealant

The actual button only depresses about 1/16" so I would hope the silicone would be flexible enough that the button could keep working, while also keeping the water out of the GPS.  This is similar to those who have siliconed the back of those fancy Aerostich voltmeter/clock/thermometers, so I think it might work.  Any thoughts from the masses?  Anyone else have a similar issue? 

Mike,
For 150$ Garmin will do an exchange on yours to a reman unit. I would also bet that you could get that panel replaced by them as well without the exchange deal.
I think I would set the button in place and then use a small amount of high quality silicone sealer to hold it/seal it in place. If it doesn't work there is always my first/second suggestion.
I had my 550 swapped for a Reman unit. way back when.
Matt

Just keep the silicone away from the actual switch down inside (so it doesn't glue the button down/restrict motion).

Open 'er up and put a piece of duct tape on the underside of where the rubber button goes, then glue/silicone the button from the top. This way you get a good waterproof seal and a lot of surface area for the glue to hold the button. The duct tape should be flexible enough to allow the button to work. (I use Gorilla Tape for stuff like this).

Or use a piece of rubber seal tape inside instead - but silicone/glue it in place, then mount the button the same as with duct tape.

Or do as Matt says! (Bein a cheap bastard I'd go for the silicone...plus I can have it done in 30 min!).

If I were going to attempt to repair it I would use an epoxy, one designed for plastics.
A thin coat around the edge should suffice.

Hey Mike
Before you do the repair flip the unit over on it's face and do a test on the back to see if silicone or whatever you try actually bonds WELL to the rubbery button material. I`ve had variable success trying to bond materials like what you're attempting.

Thanks for the great input.  I also found a repair similar to JimBob's on ZumoForums.com

This guy took pencil erasers and put them in the holes and then covered them with electrical tape!  Now that is a repair worthy of my KLR!!

I am going to try and disassemble the unit, and then silicone from the back to avoid getting the buttons stuck and keep the glue out of the electronics.  I may also call Garmin, but I want to mess around with this first. 

MizzouMike said:
This guy took pencil erasers and put them in the holes and then covered them with electrical tape!  Now that is a repair worthy of my KLR!!

:)) :)) :))

Now THAT's a brilliant solution.

I bow down to his ingenuity! 2 minutes and done.  :great:  :beerchug:

Thats a good DIY temporary fix I like it !

However, for what you paid for this thing, I would RMA it for repairs by garmin.  Likely worth it for how much these things cost.

My bet is they will replace that whole left section and it wont cost that much.

What you did will only be temporary, as that tape will heat up and melt away in the sun, letting water in causing more damage that you may not be able to fix.

Picked up some waterproof silicone, going to take the left side off and work on it from the back at some point.  I will post pics when I am done

MizzouMike said:
Picked up some waterproof silicone, going to take the left side off and work on it from the back at some point.  I will post pics when I am done

Remember though some silicone has ammonia in it and its corrosive.

Ammonia? You sure? All the silicone I dealt with over my career produced acetic acid. Still corrosive but not the same.

Eddie-FL said:
Ammonia? You sure? All the silicone I dealt with over my career produced acetic acid. Still corrosive but not the same.

THats probably what I Was thinking.

Either way it may not be good.

I would use this instead:

Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube, 2 Pack

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH0KGV2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OP0FKP4EAR73&coliid=I202ZQUC0RWK9F&psc=1

BUt realistically, just get an RMA for a repair by zumo and send it back.  Smearing a bunch of stuff on it might be good for a short term fix if you are using it right-now, but IMO send it back for repairs.

I agree with sending it back to Garmin. I think it's $150 if I remember correctly. And it's fixed right. But sometimes we can't resist doing it ourselves!  ;)

Eddie-FL said:
I agree with sending it back to Garmin. I think it's $150 if I remember correctly. And it's fixed right. But sometimes we can't resist doing it ourselves!  ;)

Well for what those things cost, its not much.  If you get some snot in there and it shorts it out, then what? =D

I called Garmin this morning, and they did not offer me a refurb/exhange/or repair on the Zumo 550, but they did offer me 20% off another product. 

I should have disclosed to you guys that I also have a Zumo665 that came with my HD that I picked up on 2013.  (technically it is an orange and black roadtech that HD feels is worth 10% more since it has those cool colors and is preloaded with all the HD Dealerships).  Honestly I like the actual buttons on the 550 better, as they are easier to use with gloves on. 

I did enjoy the "Why do you want to fix your 550 when you own a 665?" question from the Garmin CSR guy on the phone.  I explained the button thing, and he was nice enough to indulge me.

So here is my more permanent repair.

Took the back of the GPS

Filled around the buttons, even the ones not broken (Yet)  I used a waterproof silicone and tried to bond it to the sides of the buttons so that they would still be flexible and have the same contact to the actual button/switches on the zumo.  Being waterproof and not actually contacting anything other than the rubber, I am not too worried about the circuit boards.

I let it dry for an hour and then reassembled.  I will keep the tape on the broken button for a while.  It fired right up and all the buttons/functions work, so I guess it worked.

Wow that sucks.  They just wont fix it.    Maybe they dont have the parts anymore.

Weird.  But Likely what you got will get you a few more years of use out of it.  But once you get a good squirt of water in there sometime, it'll zap it.

Two weeks before the SilverDammit Rally, my 660 slid off the tank while accelerating onto the freeway ramp. I almost made it back to the unit but a car beat me to it. Road rash and a cracked screen...

I'd previously swapped it several years earlier for $150 with Garmin and expected the same news. But instead, Garmin opted to charge the $150, send the replacement unit to Johnson City, and refund my $150 upon receipt of my "dropped" unit.  I'm still flabbergasted.  They knew it was several years out of warranty yet still comp'd the swap.  Garmin isn't providing the same shabby customer treatment they used to require you to endure.  I really appreciate their customer service reps!

I have not always been able to get in touch with Garmin rapidly. But I have always been EXTREMELY satisfied with the results of my requests. I have had 2 units swapped out now. One was several years out of warranty. I have also had over the phone tech support to fix an issue I created ( by accident).  Personally, I think they are actually worth the extra dough you spend on purchasing them.
Now to get my XM radio working again. something happened with the antenna.
Matt

By the way... I own five Garmin GPS products (two motorcycles, two handhelds, and one automotive).  I am a huge fan of Garmin, and was more than satisfied when they did not offer to replace or repair a 9 year old unit that has been put through it's paces. 

I was just trying to squeeze just a little more life out of the GPS.  If my repair doesn't work and fries out in a rain storm, I will still still be pleased with my purchase, and the quality of Garmin products and customer support.  The fact that they didn't offer to fix it gave me the opportunity to take it apart, which for me is part of the fun.