• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Turn Signals

Cra-z1000

Around here ...Texas , turn signals seem to be just an option for most drivers . Leo's do not enforce the law and often do not use them themselves . Seems to me they could bring in large amounts of money through fines by enforcing the law and possibly force drivers to use them . Is it this way all over the country-World ?

I'm different I guess . I use the things turning into my driveway whether there's anyone behind me or not . Its just part of driving for me , I don't even have to think about it . Who taught these knuckleheads to drive ? Getting tired of guessing what folks are about to do out there , especially on the bike .

cra-z1000 said:
I'm different I guess . I use the things turning into my driveway whether there's anyone behind me or not . Its just part of driving for me , I don't even have to think about it . Who taught these knuckleheads to drive ? Getting tired of guessing what folks are about to do out there , especially on the bike .

Actually, I'm  the same way. It drives me nuts when folks can use such a simple device. It seems like it happens all the time that I have folks just slam on their brakes and wait to turn. Then when they see that they almost got creamed by someone, they put on their turn signal (after they stopped most of the time). Good thing I'm not tailgating them.  :-\

Cap'n Bob said:
What are these turn signals you speak of?    ::)

Winkers Bob, winkers.  BTW if they are not operating properly it could be due to low winker fluid or the wrong seasonal winker fluid.

Winker fluid needs to be changed regularly for optimum effectiveness.

The people who don't use them also don't have a clue as to what hand signals are, my Triumph doesn't have turn signals, I signal to turn right and I get folks waving at me.

Around here, 'Failure to Signal Lane Change' is a violation. The problem is, the statute is written vaguely enough that it's easy to get out of. If the offending vehicle does not "affect the surrounding traffic", there's no violation. What does that mean? In my experience, it means that, unless another vehicle has to take evasive action as a result of the offending driver's actions, there's no violation.

How do I know this? I'm a cop that does a fair amount of traffic enforcement. I arrested a drunk driver and this was his defense. He (or, his attorney) successfully argued that, since his actions did not affect surrounding traffic, I had no reason to stop him. So the subsequent drunk driving offense got tossed as well.

All part of the game, I guess.

bajakirch said:
Around here, 'Failure to Signal Lane Change' is a violation. The problem is, the statute is written vaguely enough that it's easy to get out of. If the offending vehicle does not "affect the surrounding traffic", there's no violation. What does that mean? In my experience, it means that, unless another vehicle has to take evasive action as a result of the offending driver's actions, there's no violation.

How do I know this? I'm a cop that does a fair amount of traffic enforcement. I arrested a drunk driver and this was his defense. He (or, his attorney) successfully argued that, since his actions did not affect surrounding traffic, I had no reason to stop him. So the subsequent drunk driving offense got tossed as well.

You gotta love that stuff.  :mad:

2linby said:
Cap'n Bob said:

Winkers Bob, winkers.  BTW if they are not operating properly it could be due to low winker fluid or the wrong seasonal winker fluid.

You didn't mention if the winker fluid is synthetic or not,  the weight of the fluid, how often it needs changed, or the brand.  Here comes the winker thread.......

4Bikes said:
2linby said:
Cap'n Bob said:

You didn't mention if the winker fluid is synthetic or not,  the weight of the fluid, how often it needs changed, or the brand.  Here comes the winker thread.......

It depends on whether or not the bikes new. I tend to use non-synthetic in my winkers when the bike isn't broke in yet.

It's been proven that modern turn signals are built with such exacting tolerances that break-in winker fluid is not needed.  In fact the best turn signals ship with synthetic winker fluid.

I am unaware of any of the manufactures actually shipping with Synthetic Winker fluid. But I'm not saying that ti's not true either. I guess I'm just old school and like to do my winker break in the traditional way with dino winker fluid.

bajakirch said:

I'm a CA traffic officer also.  It's the same here.  We have to prove other traffic was affected.  Fortunately case law is in our favor to substantiate that a patrol vehicle can be the affected traffic - just have to do a good job articulating.

They put an annoying dinger (not to be confused with a winker) AND a light
that tells you you're seatbelt is unfastened.  Why can't they make a tazer like
device that zaps you if you turn the wheel without signaling? (Winkering)
OR sends and EMP pulse that fries their cell phone!

To the LEOs out there... thanks for pullin' them idiots over anyway.

Mcfly said:
:great: :great: :beerchug:  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:  :bravo_2:

I'll second that, I wish there were more of you.
If you could increase the number of tickets for....hmmmm, I'm not sure what to call it....lane designator execution failure?...
e.g. they think that "Right Turn Only" means as long as that's the way they want to go, otherwise
they can just do what ever the ¶§ they want to do because they are too stupid/lazy to get in the correct
lane ahead of time.

fartymarty said:
Mcfly said:
:great: :great: :beerchug:  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:  :bravo_2:

I'll second that, I wish there were more of you.
If you could increase the number of tickets for....hmmmm, I'm not sure what to call it....lane designator execution failure?...
e.g. they think that "Right Turn Only" means as long as that's the way they want to go, otherwise
they can just do what ever the ¶§ they want to do because they are too stupid/lazy to get in the correct
lane ahead of time.

THIS  :iagree:

And I third the LEO support. PLEASE ticket every maroon who fails to signal, or violates the "no turn/right turn only/whatever sign" if any traffic is around.

I had one of those maroons pull just that kind of bonehead move in rush hour traffic yesterday (no left turn)...almost cause a multi-car pileup. Had that happened, you can bet yer sweet patooties I would've stopped, called the police, and been a witness. Yes, court sucks, but people like that deserve to pay the price. I REALLY need to get a helmet cam, and get one on the cage too.

Had it been another time (little to no traffic) I wouldn't really care.

Here in Oregon, it is the law to use your turn signals.  Not everyone uses them but if a cop were to see you not doing so, results in a ticket.

Bruce said:
Here in Oregon, it is the law to use your turn signals.  Not everyone uses them but if a cop were to see you not doing so, results in a ticket.

I think it's actually the law in all 50 states, Bruce - but enforcement is, shall we say, spotty...

Just SUnday I was in Lancaster Ohio pulling into Waffle House after following a van that had failed to signal the previous 6 turns. I asked the driver if that van came with turn signals... she replied " no they were an option I did not buy" ... looked like she had the handicapped plate under false pretenses also...unless it was mental.

SOme guys get really pissed when I compliment them on their vehicle and then ask "did it come with turn signals" ....F bombs and offer to fight are the norm.

I followed a Sheriff's Department van into town recently. Two lane changes--one rather closer to my front bumper than I would prefer--and one turn. NO signals.  :mad:

Steve

Regarding turn signals, how many of you have seen anyone using turn signals when exiting a round-a-bout?  Me personally...never.  However, my son happened to have an Oregon cop behind him one day recently, while he was exiting a round-a-bout, and not using his turn signal, got pulled over, and was informed, there is a law.  OOps!  :mad:

I encounter roundabouts so rarely that my primary concern is staying alive rather than signaling properly.  Yes I recognize that I should be signaling, and if I can do it safely I do signal, but avoiding an accident is in my mind the primary concern.  If I know a roundabout is coming up, I go out of my way to avoid it, but in unfamiliar territory they catch me unawares.

Bruce said:
Regarding turn signals, how many of you have seen anyone using turn signals when exiting a round-a-bout?  Me personally...never.

Then you've never followed me.  ;)

In Viera FL, they've conjured up a 2 lane round-about that rivals the Arc de Triomphe.  I've been cut-off more
in that traffic circle than I care to count.  As the area grows, it becomes more of a hazard, yet they
won't replace it with an intersection because there's an old tree in the middle of the circle... dumb asses.

If circles were more common place people would be better at dealing with them.  Unfortunately, they're not, and
so I don't go near that death trap on the Connie.  I go the long way!

Be thankful it's an Oak Tree.  In Clearwater, FL they have a roundabout with five outlets right on the main drag of the beach.  In the middle there used to be a huge fountain.  It was absolutely beautiful except when the wind blew (which is ALWAYS) because that dumps the spray right onto the roadway making a wonderful combination of wet/dry as you go around  causing hundreds of accidents over its lifetime.

The roundabout's still there, but the fountain has been gone almost ten years now - yet it's still what everyone thinks of when they think of traffic at Clearwater Beach.

12beach.jpg