• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Turning off KIPASS

rexter

Has anyone done this or had it done? If so, how do you secure the bike short of removing the stove knob?
I haven’t had it done. Just pondering, now that I know it’s possible to do away with the fob.

Rexter said:
Has anyone done this or had it done? If so, how do you secure the bike short of removing the stove knob?
I haven’t had it done. Just pondering, now that I know it’s possible to do away with the fob.

So...if I flush my fobs down the shitter I can still start the bike?

The stove top is just a key, w/o the kipass fob you are dead in the water. Cannot turn the ST w/o the kipass fob.

You could just remove the ST when you park the bike so no one thinks you left the key in the IG.

I had a creepy dude prowling my bike at Walmart thinking the ST was the key to start the bike, he moved off when I walked up to my bike.

simple answer...

Open your active fob, pry the small rectangular chip holder, that lives in the pointy end of the fob enclosure out....
Use 2 part epoxy, and glue it to the "knurb" on the ignition switch, with tape holding it until the epoxy is "set"... and then when you ride, and stop, turn the ignition to RSS and pull the key out every time.. it will get old fast, and when you loose that key, you will understand.. but then... what more can be said.

You can also remove the tPMS sensors from the wheels, and install solid valve stems.. and if you have ABS brakes, you can disconnect and re-plumb the hydraulics to work like old timey brakes did .. and then when you sell it, you may get $1200 for it.

I think I can get $3k for my 1978 KZ1000Ltd, which has none of those feature.. but again, it came like that....

KIPASS can be turned off within the ECU, thereby allowing the bike to start and run without needing a fob. The knob can be turned and the bike will start and run, but this leaves it without the security function of KIPASS.

MAN OF BLUES said:
simple answer...

Open your active fob, pry the small rectangular chip holder, that lives in the pointy end of the fob enclosure out....
Use 2 part epoxy, and glue it to the "knurb" on the ignition switch, with tape holding it until the epoxy is "set"... and then when you ride, and stop, turn the ignition to RSS and pull the key out every time.. it will get old fast, and when you loose that key, you will understand.. but then... what more can be said.

You can also remove the tPMS sensors from the wheels, and install solid valve stems.. and if you have ABS brakes, you can disconnect and re-plumb the hydraulics to work like old timey brakes did .. and then when you sell it, you may get $1200 for it.

I think I can get $3k for my 1978 KZ1000Ltd, which has none of those feature.. but again, it came like that....

That’s pretty complicated to do all that stuff..... not a simple answer.

Rexter said:
KIPASS can be turned off within the ECU, thereby allowing the bike to start and run without needing a fob. The knob can be turned and the bike will start and run, but this leaves it without the security function of KIPASS.

Not so.

Freddy said:
Rexter said:

Not so.

I agree.  I'm fairly experienced with KIPASS and have never seen how I could turn it off. 

Rexter said:

Rexter said:

What baffles me is that you have over 70 posts on this forum and yet you still think that this can be done.

Is it theoretically possible? Well of course it is but so is time travel.

For the 3 guys above....... yes, it can be done. I saw it done. An ECU was swapped into an ‘09 for the owner to try a flash. This was done in May ‘19.
My ECU was updated and I thought it will not make it back before I go to Eureka Springs next week, so I called and talked to the person that did the flash on the ECU that was swapped out in May for the other rider. I was going to check in running another ECU until the USPS got mine back to me. Mine was flashed by Steve. Ivan stated that he turned the KIPASS off within the flash so an owner can ride in, try a flash, and decide if he wants it. He stated he will not offer turning off KIPASS for the public as he considers it unethical.

As for the 70 post comment.......mine’s bigger.

For clarity.....Ivan did the flash that had the KIPASS turned off.

So why don’t you call Ivan and see what he says? You can win the internet for the day if I’m incorrect.

Rexter said:

Please take a video of this using your Concours!

If I could I would. I’m 1,000 miles from Ivan’s shop. Anyone can roll in there and do it. Heck, call him and ask if you can test drive his flash if you ride to his shop. Or just ask him if it’s possible. He’ll  confirm it.

Someone's got their wires crossed.  Kipass resides in the KIPASS ECU - the flash resides in the FI ECU.  The KIPASS ECU needs to recognise the FI ECU before the engine can start, not the other way round as I understand it.  We need someone who plays with both ECUs to clarify.  Are you out there SISF?

Freddy said:
Someone's got their wires crossed.  Kipass resides in the KIPASS ECU - the flash resides in the FI ECU.  The KIPASS ECU needs to recognise the FI ECU before the engine can start, not the other way round as I understand it.  We need someone who plays with both ECUs to clarify.  Are you out there SISF?

Here’s how this went.....there were 6 of us there. One guy asked what the benefits of a flash were. Ivan pulled an ECU off the shelf, walked out to the bike, swapped out the ECUs, and told the guy to go ride it and see what he thought. The bike fired up, and the guy rode away. No other thing was done except swapping the ECUs. During later conversation, Ivan said he could turn off the KIPASS in the flash, but he wouldn’t do that due to the lack of security for the bike. Same reason he won’t offer a “core” swap for a flash.

I spoke with him yesterday and he reiterated that to me. He said verbatim “ I can turn off KIPASS within my flash, but I will not do that for the public because I consider it unethical.” I didn’t ask, but I assume that the unethical part is leaving the bike without any security.

If you don’t believe me, call him.

Freddy said:

SSSSSHHHHHHHSSHHHHHHH
>:D :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Let's just subside, and let Rex believe what he believes... as he has no clue about the ki-pass vs fueling ecu interfaces.

I don't think SISF will even bat an eyelash, or comment, but if he does, he will explain the difference.. or the fact Ivan's "explanation" will never settle it.. FUEL ECU is not KiPass ECU.. so.... yeah, he created an open "try my fueling" mod ECU... he never touched the Ki-Pass ECU... thus.. yeah, the bike starts and runs.

turning off Ki-Pass.. what a joke.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

https://youtu.be/Y8GGpYFmkYI

I can't call Ivan, he will never speak to me; because I don't lie to people.

KIPass ECU....... 21175-0183 CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC

fueling ECU......  21175-0131 CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC

one controls key I/D..... one controls fueling....yes, they "link", but KiPss is not Modifiable via a fueling ECU mod. PERIOD.

Hey, call Ivan... have him come here and explain... if he doesn't, well.. chalk it up to ..meh... :-X ::)

I've owned a C14, from it's intro. (and prior the C10) I've spent all these years, studying it, (them both) without "income" $ involved. I think I can safely say, I understand the bikes "systems".. I pay dues to this club, on an annual basis, to share knowledge, and enhance the owner experience.  I don't find anything, by anyone, not committed to this same regime, when questioned as a credible resource, without backing.
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying what you are selling. 

This isn’t a Steve vs Ivan thread.....though I did talk to Steve for 20 minutes or so this afternoon. He has absolutely nothing to do with this other than he flashed my ECU, and I’d rather keep it that way.

It’s really simple.....anyone that doubts the fact that you can install an ECU that has never been near your bike, and then you can start and ride your bike with that ECU, is free to call Ivan, or go by his shop, and verify this. If I remember correctly, Ivan offers a test ride with a flashed ECU before you buy.

It’s just a phone call away......and yet, no one that has said it can’t be done has made that call. 

I’ll even make it easy for you....here’s his number and shop hours:

845-268-1212
M-F 10-6 EST
Sa 10-2 EST

NO, it's not a Steve vs Ivan thing... it's now a Rex vs Rich thing.

and it really isn't a "vs'" thing.. just your beliefs, vs my understanding and experience. If you believe someone, and spout what they "say".. it means nothing to me personally.  I would call him a liar, to his face, if face to face he said he "conquered" the kipass, and over rode (wrote) it.

you just don't get the fact, that he is not changing your KiPass ECU in any way... just the fueling ECU... they are different.. thus have no context in eliminating the Ki-Pass system.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MAN OF BLUES said:
you just don't get the fact, that he is not changing your KiPass ECU in any way... just the fueling ECU... they are different.. thus have no context in eliminating the Ki-Pass system.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I'm right and you're wrong, I need to beat my chest an use 100 emoticons to prove it to everyone.  :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:

Silence! The great MOB has spoken....

Is it really that difficult, or is it you that is difficult?
I think it’s the latter. Let me dumb it down for you.

A C14 can run without an active or passive fob (or any other transmitting or non-transmitting device tied to the KIPASS system as a whole). The KIPASS system is turned off, bypassed, deleted, blown up, transgendered, or whatever term you prefer, in such a way as it is no longer required to make the C14 engine crank and run.

To dumb it down even further for you.....you don’t need an effing fob to ride the bike if you can get someone to do whatever wizardry is required within the ECU to accomplish this. Evidently, Ivan has gone further into the electronics than anyone else has.

Have your wife/child/lover/boyfriend or whomever call Ivan and ask the question. I don’t give a rats patooty how he does it, but it can be done. Turtle was there, Dr Blackbird was there, Phantom Blade was there, and two other guys. We all saw it get done.

Now, having said that, I guess you don’t know as much as you like to tell everyone that you do, do you?

And Ivan’s number and hours are still posted above for anyone to call and verify.

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/checkout/orderform.cfm?clubID=1328

back off.. don't be insulting, I was not, nor should you.. your post was a bit abrasive. Might want to just hang out in the efacebook page, where rules don't exist, and I cannot respond.

visit COG and join here.. make a statement, and commit.. or just hang out, and insult those that pay, and help others.. get it, pay, AND help others...
done.

this site is free, but may change rapidly in the future.. it does note condone comments against members, those that actually contribute and pay to contribute, for any rational reasoning in the mindset of those that are "visitors".

I'm done, anybody that knows the system on the C14, and the KDS system.. will just laugh it off.. as I do.

have a superb day..

Yes, it’s possible to unlock an ECU so it does not need to be tied to a KIPASS ECU. However, this absolutely does not disable KIPASS in any way. It simply means the unlocked ECU can be swapped into any bike without a trip to the dealer. You still need to activate the bike with a fob. This passed weekend, I just installed one of Ivan’s unlocked ECU’s into another members bike in Springerville AZ, he still needs his fob to do anything.

KiPass, baffling the crap out of people across the world for 12 years,... and counting.  :sign0151: :33:
I like KiPass, have liked it since I bought my C14 on the 5th Aug 2007.
I've never had a problem with it but then I don't wash my fobs, or smack the StoveKey, or try to disable it.  :great:

Attachments

• KiPass.png
    KiPass.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 132
Interesting. If I am following correctly, you are saying that the KiPass verification function w/in the main (engine) ECU can be turned off so the bike will run w/out KiPass verification? That would certainly be the easy and efficient to "remove" KiPass from the bike- not really remove but render irrelevant.

There are two electronic boxes Kawasaki calls ECU's on the bike- the usual one that basically controls the running of the engine (fuel amount, spark, all engine and some chassis sensor input, etc.) and the KiPass ECU which of course contains the KiPass security system, and the tire pressure system. There is a handshake between the ECU's to verify that the KiPass ECU has been satisfied (Easy Boys!) and gives the proverbial OK to the engine ECU to allow the bike to run. Without this handshake verification, the ECU will not produce any spark and while the bike can be 'hot- wired' and cranked, it of course cannot run without spark ignition. So what I believe you are saying is that some person(s) (I ain't gettin' into that patch of quicksand  :rotflmao: ) can eliminate the need for the engine ECU to receive that KiPass ECU signal and simply work without it. ?? That actually makes perfect sense and seems well w/in possibility, and in fact is how software is pirated most commonly- by finding the verification algorithm in the code and simply putting in a permanent 'it has been verified' piece of code to effectively bypass whatever security was built into the software in the first place.

My only question is would be the act of physically starting the bike- I think the KiPass ECU controls the initial activation of the dash, so without a valid for, the key- press would not result in the LCD illuminating and the shot- pin retracting to allow the key to be turned in the first place. Unless I am mistaken and it is actually the engine ECU that controls that. ??

Anyway, as I said, an interesting possibility and absolutely the easy, fast and sane way to defeat KiPass..... by not defeating it at all but simply bypassing it at the source. Sorta' like not making any highly technical attempt to defeat a security alarm system but simply rendering the entire system neutered by cutting one wire that powers that system.

Brian

Rexter said:

Still need the fob to unlock the bike. After that, the ECU doesn’t care about handshake with the KIPASS ECU. Fob is still necessary, but only to actually turn on the dash and what not.

Once again, someone can call Ivan and ask if I am correct in what Ivan said. I’ll let it go until someone else talks to him. If I’m wrong, I’ll admit it. There were 6 of us there, and the other 5 guys each independently say that they heard and saw the same thing.

Rexter said:
Once again, someone can call Ivan and ask if I am correct in what Ivan said. I’ll let it go until someone else talks to him. If I’m wrong, I’ll admit it. There were 6 of us there, and the other 5 guys each independently say that they heard and saw the same thing.

I just spoke with him. You still need the fob to unlock the bike. On newer models, the glovebox won’t unlock with one his unlocked ECU’s as it bypasses the KIPASS handshake. Basically, the FI ECU doesn’t care, but the KIPASS functions AFTER the bike is already started (glovebox, TPMS, pinging for fob during operation) won’t work because the KIPASS didn’t receive the okay from the ECU that everything is as it should be.

The game of telephone is really poor here...

I said that I disable the immobilizer... so it doesn't need the handshake from KPASS.

Rexter said:
Cool. I guess I heard what I wanted to hear. The thread can die now.

It's a sensible person who can recognises his errant ways - and admit it.  :great:  Ride safe.  :beerchug:

Here is my 2 cents :

Since the Engine ECM "Runs" the engine, it must talk to the KIPASS ECM for "permission" to be allowed to do that ( run the engine ).

It seems very plausible to me to re-program the code in the Engine ECM to bypass / eliminate that "back & forth" between the Engine ECM and KIPASS ECM and for the Engine ECM to "Run" the engine without talking to the KIPASS ECM.

If my KIPASS ever fails, I will be giving Ivan a call.