• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

turning right from a stop

I can't say that I have ever consciously did it this way. My right turns seem a little sloppy this year so I found  this on the tube.....I guess I just wanted feed back to see if this is what everyone did.

RodWpg said:

Yeah, Captn Crash is much bigger and stronger than me, no way I could lean that far over (when stopped) and not go down 50% of the time.
If I lean it that far and any little thing goes wrong (wind gust from the left) it will be cda for me. On the other hand, turning a little bit
with about half that amount of lean until the bike is actually moving then tightening the turn will still result in a turn that doesn't go
out 8 feet. So I guess the little whineey voice he uses is aimed at me " My bike won't do that, it's too heavy." So I say to him "My bike won't
do that with me on it
" but I say it in a deeper less condescending voice with maybe a slight touch of anger but not enough that he would notice
unless he knew me.  :)

I agree about what bike he uses, and what he does.  Still isn't C10's 7.5 Gallons all up top, but close enough to it.  Any tightness of turn is a good thing, I usually lean right after getting moving, getting almost the same effect.  Also, I am short for Connie, at 5'6", 29" inseam, tip toe both sides at stop. 

You can do it just like that on a C10 with a full tank of gas, Givi trunk and all that crap installed.  That IS how its done.

Slybones said:
You can do it just like that on a C10 with a full tank of gas, Givi trunk and all that crap installed.  That IS how its done.

YUP!  :iagree:  :great:

I have done it, not usually necessary. I want to see him do that with a passenger tho, which is how I usually am riding the connie....oh, and loaded!

Rain Dancer said:
I have done it, not usually necessary. I want to see him do that with a passenger tho, which is how I usually am riding the connie....oh, and loaded!

It was actually WITH a passenger that I was feeling like a duck out of water a couple of times pulling away from a red and turning right. I will try to consciously start out on the right foot and make sure I am looking where I want to go.....will try the lean part before the passenger gets on again. Glad to hear this is the proper way....I know on another thread someone was talking about doing this recently.

I practice this as much as I can as well.  Doesn't work for shorter people like me quit so well, but still make pretty tight turns anyway.  +1 with the riding with a passenger and fully loaded too.  There is ups and downs to that.  Do they lean at the right time, or wrong time, or at all?  I prefer my passengers to let me do the leaning in slow turns, so we don't go over, and it is controlled.  The plus side is they make me flat footed with the extra weight. I always  had my girls on the back when I was riding,  but now that the are young ladies, don't have them quit as much. 

IMO of course, lanes are wider than 3 feet. You don't have to do it that great with a passenger, etc. You CAN still put down the right foot and turn the bars to the right. You don't have to lean it over all that much. You will still pull out into your lane. Which IMO is the point. Far too many have the bars straight, wrong foot down, etc. Not always of course but it happens where they finally get balance and turn right when they are way too far out there and sometimes even into the other lane before they get turned. -- The idea is to turn into your lane on a control and consistent basis and never end up running wide and out in the other lane to make a right turn. You can do this with a passenger, even it its not in 3 feet. Who ####ing cares if its 3 feet or not.

I terms of leaning at the right time, what we practiced in the Motor Officer course that I mentioned on the other thread was .... When you are sitting there at the stop, bars turned right, right foot down, bla bla bla. You are looking both directions making sure traffic is clear, your not going to hit pedestrians, and so on. When its time to go, you look left one last time, when you head turns right you let out the clutch and start going. At this time you could also give it a little lean such that as you add power to pull away, it stands the bike back up. You are still looking where you are going. Your head is still turned to the right when you go. The overall timing is after you have done all the obvious looking and checking and making sure its all clear, you do one last look left, then when you turn you head right, you go.

Stuff the guy mentions at the end about getting your foot up quick and clean is with taking note of.

Good info & technique presented.  I will second Cap Crash statement about insufficient head turn with riders who struggle with tight turns from a stop (or limited space maneuvers too; ie u-turns). I see it all the time when instructing experience riders and the lack of head turn is probably affecting other cornering skills too. 

Practicing is an excellent way to improve, but some riders will benefit greatly from taking training like a MSF Experienced Ridercourse (ERC or BRC2 as MSF now calls them). This is a perfect parking lot refresher: one day, low cost, low stress, lots of fun.  Being observed by a trained professional might provide insights into bad habits that you may not notice by self-practice alone. 

S Smith said:
Being observed by a trained professional might provide insights into bad habits that you may not notice by self-practice alone.

+1

Because practice DOESN'T make perfect.  Practice makes permanent.

Jamie

Classvino said:
S Smith said:
Being observed by a trained professional might provide insights into bad habits that you may not notice by self-practice alone.

+1

Because practice DOESN'T make perfect.  Practice makes permanent.

Jamie

Very true. The only thing I could not do when I took the advanced rider course was a figure 8 in the box. Afterwards I marked off an area and practiced like crazy.  Made u turns on singe track roads so much easier.